Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Jack - Rear Gate Interference

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Trailer Jack - Rear Gate Interference

I am having issues with the top of the trailer jack hitting the edge of the rear gate when lowered. I've been very careful using it but know it is just a matter of time till someone releases the gate and I end up with a broken tailgate.

I have the longest Class IV hitch I can find - DrawTite 40202 which is 11-1/4" from the ball hole to the hitch pin hole. (4" drop, 1-1/4" hole)

I've modified my trailer jack to shorten it as much as I can to keep it from hitting my 2010 but now it just does touch the black trim on the gate when lowered. I can't find a lower trailer jack and I can't cut it down anymore and still have it work.

When I fold the trailer jack handle over and out of the way, and lower the gate, the black vinyl trim that forms the top of the gate just touches the center of the handle. I need to move it back about 2" to have proper clearance.

The trailer uses a welded on ball receiver (coupler) which also locates the trailer jack. There is a center frame rail that butts to the jack so I can't move it back any.

Did find one Extra Long hitch but it downgrades to Class III (6,000 lbs) which I would prefer not to do. There's probably a safety factor that would make it OK but prefer not to tempt fate.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas on how to come up with more clearance?

Paul
Old 10-30-2016, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulProe
I am having issues with the top of the trailer jack hitting the edge of the rear gate when lowered. I've been very careful using it but know it is just a matter of time till someone releases the gate and I end up with a broken tailgate.

I have the longest Class IV hitch I can find - DrawTite 40202 which is 11-1/4" from the ball hole to the hitch pin hole. (4" drop, 1-1/4" hole)

I've modified my trailer jack to shorten it as much as I can to keep it from hitting my 2010 but now it just does touch the black trim on the gate when lowered. I can't find a lower trailer jack and I can't cut it down anymore and still have it work.

When I fold the trailer jack handle over and out of the way, and lower the gate, the black vinyl trim that forms the top of the gate just touches the center of the handle. I need to move it back about 2" to have proper clearance.

The trailer uses a welded on ball receiver (coupler) which also locates the trailer jack. There is a center frame rail that butts to the jack so I can't move it back any.

Did find one Extra Long hitch but it downgrades to Class III (6,000 lbs) which I would prefer not to do. There's probably a safety factor that would make it OK but prefer not to tempt fate.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas on how to come up with more clearance?

Paul
I had the same issue I was able to angle the jack back a little with a shim on the jack mount but I only needed 1" . Now mine clears the tailgate but the handle would hit if it was turned forward.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Get a 5th wheel, won't have that issue... the first time I hooked up my car trailer I checked that, now when I have a trailer connected I just don't open my tailgate. Not that big of a deal to me bit kinda makes me wish I had windoor's on my canopy, tho that would still be a pain.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Show us pics of it.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The solution for me was to remove the center A frame jack and install a side mounted jack a few inches further back on the trailer. This option may not work on some trailers but worked for mine.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I order my trailers ( BIG TEX ) with an extended tung. usually an option on most trailers. But you should be able to relocate it without any issues.

Last edited by Trotter; 10-31-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I welded in a new cross member on my trailer tongue to move the jack back. On another trailer I use I had to extend the tongue as there was not room to move the jack back.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Oh, so close

Pictures of my trailer jack / tailgate interference. So close.

I am looking at modifying my hitch to gain an additional inch

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Jack - Rear Gate Interference-20161031_160217.jpg   Trailer Jack - Rear Gate Interference-20161031_160210.jpg   Trailer Jack - Rear Gate Interference-20161031_160203.jpg  
Old 10-31-2016, 10:48 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

They make jacks that clamp around the frame of the trailer. Get one of those instead and mount it further back. They just bolt on.