Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS's from a Ford Expedition ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TPMS's from a Ford Expedition ??

Hey, thanks in advance for any tips or advice:

I bought a set of platinum rims (With tires) to put on my 2015 F150 lariat. they are 6x136 +44. The seller said he had them on his 2013 Ford expedition with TPMS's functioning. (these rims are the rims of a 2013 or 2014 F150 platinum). So when I installed them, I cannot get the TPMS to register. so either they don't have TPMS's in them, or the TPMS's in them were put in or programmed to comminucate to that 2013 expedition and my truck is not compatible.

so my question is, what steps should I do now that I put my truck in TPMS learn mode and let air out of the front left tire (for a long time, it almost went flat), no horn honk. i even tried a different tire incase that sensor was faulty and again it didn't make the horn chirp. so I'm thinking i need to take it to a tire shop that specializes in this, they may need to reprogram my TPMS's?? any other thoughts?

Thanks,
John
Old 05-01-2019, 03:18 AM

Received 539 Likes on 334 Posts

What year is your truck... is it the '05 in your sig?

Best way I've found to determine the presence of TPMS, is to grab the end of the valve stem, and move it around (against the inner wheel). You can almost always feel/hear the sensor tap against the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
Taggart (09-28-2023)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Received 179 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bloodvette
Hey, thanks in advance for any tips or advice:

I bought a set of platinum rims (With tires) to put on my 2015 F150 lariat. they are 6x136 +44. The seller said he had them on his 2013 Ford expedition with TPMS's functioning. (these rims are the rims of a 2013 or 2014 F150 platinum). So when I installed them, I cannot get the TPMS to register. so either they don't have TPMS's in them, or the TPMS's in them were put in or programmed to comminucate to that 2013 expedition and my truck is not compatible.

so my question is, what steps should I do now that I put my truck in TPMS learn mode and let air out of the front left tire (for a long time, it almost went flat), no horn honk. i even tried a different tire incase that sensor was faulty and again it didn't make the horn chirp. so I'm thinking i need to take it to a tire shop that specializes in this, they may need to reprogram my TPMS's?? any other thoughts?

Thanks,
John
You need new tpms sensors for a 2015. They changed from 2014 to 2015.

Last edited by buzzin 1/2 dozen; 05-01-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 431 Likes on 330 Posts

well your truck is looking for the 4 sensors that were last on it - if they aren't in range - it doesn't read them. ANd to keep the system from going wonky with other radios nearby - it ignores other sensors

It's the reason why you stop next to a car at a light - let's say it's a fusion - and your TPMS light doesn't go off because it thinks you have 20psi on the LH side of your car.

No the sensor squits out an ID code and a coded value that is the pressure - so you need to retrain your vehicle to "see" the new sensor ID's. Ideally putting it in learn mode should have it find the new sensors.

If that doesn't work you might need a tool or forscan might show you what the TPMS is seeing. (I haven't used forscan that much so I assume it will read that system too)

Now it's possible though I doubt it - that the sensors are on the wrong radio frequency - it does happen but I don't think it should be an issue for you. Had you got wheels from a vehicle in Europe I would be concerned with that.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Napalm
well your truck is looking for the 4 sensors that were last on it - if they aren't in range - it doesn't read them. ANd to keep the system from going wonky with other radios nearby - it ignores other sensors

It's the reason why you stop next to a car at a light - let's say it's a fusion - and your TPMS light doesn't go off because it thinks you have 20psi on the LH side of your car.

No the sensor squits out an ID code and a coded value that is the pressure - so you need to retrain your vehicle to "see" the new sensor ID's. Ideally putting it in learn mode should have it find the new sensors.

If that doesn't work you might need a tool or forscan might show you what the TPMS is seeing. (I haven't used forscan that much so I assume it will read that system too)
I don’t believe that’s entirely accurate, and here’s why I say that:

On my current truck (‘18 SuperCrew), I have two sets of OEM tires and wheels, both sets have all four factory TPMS in them. I bought the second set (slightly used take-offs) to alternate back and forth every few months. And I’ve done the same thing on my last two trucks as well; the last was a ‘14 SuperCrew, and the one before that was an ‘11 SuperCrew. For each of these three trucks, I’ve had two factory sets of complete tires/wheels, all with factory TPMS. When I got rid of the ‘11, both sets went, and the same again when I got rid of the ‘14.

For all three trucks, I’ve never had an issue with taking one set of tires/wheels off, and bolting on the alternate set of tires and wheels. Each truck has automatically acknowledged the TPMS in the tires/wheels that were bolted on. No codes, no teaching/learning the next set of sensors, no issues, no software adjustments, nothing, ever. It was literally as simple as removing a set tires/wheels and bolting on the alternate set on all three trucks and the multiples times I swapped from one set to the next. And I know the trucks were properly reading the sensors, because each time I’ve installed the alternate sets, I’d check the psi (both on the dash and with my pressure gauge), to see any variance between the dash and my pressure gauge. Ocassionally I’d have to adjust one or two tire pressures slightly, but the dash would reflect the change in pressure when I was done.

Just about three weeks ago, I swapped my alternate tires/wheels to my ‘18 for the first time, and this process went just as it had on my last two trucks. Now with that said, I don’t really know why this works this way, but I know it does and that’s all that matters. Maybe it’s because all these sensors are from trucks of the same model year and are Ford OEM units, and were previously paired to another F150. To clarify, the spare set for the ‘18 were from another ‘18, the spare set for the ‘14 were from another ‘14, and so on. Would this work if the sensors were new units and had never been paired to a truck? I don’t know. Does this process work the same way on other Ford models? I can’t say for that either. I only know from my personal experience, that it does work this way on my trucks.

As for bloodvette’s issue, he’ll need a set of 2015 or newer sensors installed in the 2013 Expedition wheels.Those two model years are not compatible.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 05-02-2019 at 01:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wanna Ride:
LCW (05-30-2019), Probity (05-03-2019), Taggart (09-28-2023)
Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Received 178 Likes on 125 Posts

Similar to Wanna Ride, I swap winter and all other season tires, each with their own set of TPMS sensors. No programming needed for either set, the truck recognizes within a few miles which set is actually on the truck. The tire dealer did not program these on my winter tires - they never had the truck! I dropped the tires wheels and sensors off and had them mounted up, picked them back up, and then swap when I want to.

I'd be focusing on whether the 2013 Expedition sensors are compatible with a 2015 F150. Just because the sensors are on the same frequency does not make them compatible.
The following users liked this post:
LCW (05-30-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Similar to Wanna Ride, I swap winter and all other season tires, each with their own set of TPMS sensors. No programming needed for either set, the truck recognizes within a few miles which set is actually on the truck. The tire dealer did not program these on my winter tires - they never had the truck! I dropped the tires wheels and sensors off and had them mounted up, picked them back up, and then swap when I want to.
That's kinda' what I suspected.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
I'd be focusing on whether the 2013 Expedition sensors are compatible with a 2015 F150. Just because the sensors are on the same frequency does not make them compatible.
Exactly!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:44 AM
LCW

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

I just purchased a set of take-off wheels/tires at my dealer from a 2019 Expedition for my 2016 F150. Initially dealer said the sensors weren't compatible and would order a new set of TPMS and install at no charge. But once I got home and unloaded my old wheels/tires and went for a drive, I noticed the new wheels/tires were indeed transmitting pressure to my dash screen. So what is said above about the vehicle automatically recognizing a set of TPMS sounds plausible.

I don't know what the dealer did, and why they determined these weren't working (it appears there's a couple different Mhz that TPMS transmit at??). But they seem to be working now, so I don't think I'll need them installing new ones.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Expedition has the old style sensor up until MY18. The sensors will not work on your F150.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kjadamek
Expedition has the old style sensor up until MY18. The sensors will not work on your F150.
I realize this is an old thread. Reading to learn about TPMS in my new to me 2011 exped (7 mos). It is giving me the TPMS fault message every restart. Im hoping its the battery has failed in a sensor. Wondering what "the old style sensor" is and what i should use to replace them when i get new tires.

Quick Reply: TPMS's from a Ford Expedition ??