Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS for 2015's need training/programming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Default TPMS for 2015's need training/programming?

Ok guys, I have searched and found the answer seems to be about 50/50. Has anybody proven whether or not new TPMS sensors need to be trained to our trucks? Some say no, the new 2015's require no training for new TPMS sensors, others say that they will need to be. I took my stock platinum wheels off Wednesday and they have been sitting in my garage since then, I have put over 200 miles on the truck since then and the tire pressure readings still read the pressure since I took the stock wheels off, they are not responding (pressure is stuck at same numbers on each wheel) and no warning light or anything has come on yet. The new wheels I bought I was told have compatible TPMS sensors on them but the pressure on the dash for each is still locked in at the pressure that was on my stock wheels. I ordered a TPMS training transmitter that should be in today or tomorrow and it says its compatible with the 2015 f150, so wouldn't that mean our trucks would requre training the TPMS? If so, how do you put this truck in train mode? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Take old wheels off, put new wheels on with 2015 OEM or compatible TPMS sensor, drive away. Reads perfectly, no teach, no reset, nothing.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by markusvt
Take old wheels off, put new wheels on with 2015 OEM or compatible TPMS sensor, drive away. Reads perfectly, no teach, no reset, nothing.
That wasnt true for me. I got an error and mine needed trained. To put the truck in training mode: press and release the brake pedal, cycle the ignition to run 3 times stopping in the run position(without starting), press/release the brake, then cycle the key 3 more times. When you hit run the 3rd time the truck will beep and a msg will display saying its in training mode. You train the TPMS in this order:FL, FR, RR, RL.
The following users liked this post:
jt2002hd (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9'er
That wasnt true for me. I got an error and mine needed trained. To put the truck in training mode: press and release the brake pedal, cycle the ignition to run 3 times stopping in the run position(without starting), press/release the brake, then cycle the key 3 more times. When you hit run the 3rd time the truck will beep and a msg will display saying its in training mode. You train the TPMS in this order:FL, FR, RR, RL.

agreed.... it's some crazy code like that.... maybe it was up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a,select than Start and you should be good to go!

but for real guy I used to work with worked at a Ford dealership and remember him telling me it is a bunch of different things like that to reset them....
Old 09-05-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Took my 2015 xlt to discount tire to have the rwl turned inside.

Rear left tire raise alarm for being low but was not.

Tech has to retrain sensors and all is good.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

On the 2015 the sensors Transmit the actual psi to the information screen. If you rotate tires the reading's will still be shown but the will no longer reflect the correct position on the truck. You can buy the Motercraft reset tool on the net for about $30 and set them yourself or if the tires are rotated by a dealer or major tire shop they should reset for you. Since I rotate my own tires I just ordered the tool 8C2T-1A203 from Amazon.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 368 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by neonbobo
agreed.... it's some crazy code like that.... maybe it was up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a,select than Start and you should be good to go!
Maybe we can do this code and get a free tank of gas?

Man that brings back old memories...
Old 09-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm confused. Tool to reset? Automatic?The procedure is on page 347-348 of the (issue 3) owner's manual. And it's not the brake lights, it's the hazard flashers.

1. Drive the vehicle above 20 mph for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
2. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
3. Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times. You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will sound once, the system indicator will flash and a message is shown in the information display. If this does not occur, please try again starting at Step 2. If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message is shown in the information display, seek service from your authorized dealer.

Goes on for 6 more steps.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

M-A-N-U-A-L? Foreign concept to most vehicle owners.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Lare
I'm confused. Tool to reset? Automatic?The procedure is on page 347-348 of the (issue 3) owner's manual. And it's not the brake lights, it's the hazard flashers.

1. Drive the vehicle above 20 mph for at least two minutes, then park in a safe location where you can easily get to all four tires and have access to an air pump.
2. Place the ignition in the off position and keep the key in the ignition.
3. Cycle the ignition to the on position with the engine off.
4. Turn the hazard flashers on then off three times. You must accomplish this within 10 seconds. If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will sound once, the system indicator will flash and a message is shown in the information display. If this does not occur, please try again starting at Step 2. If after repeated attempts to enter the reset mode, the horn does not sound, the system indicator does not flash and no message is shown in the information display, seek service from your authorized dealer.

Goes on for 6 more steps.
The reset tool allows you to trigger each wheel sensor without bleeding air off the rest of the reset is as described in your M-A-N-U-A-L.

Quick Reply: TPMS for 2015's need training/programming?