Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgate Out of Whack!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Out of Whack!

Yesterday, I closed my tailgate, and didn't think anything of it. Then I tried to open it again, and it will not open. It is literally askew, with one side clearly higher and pushed out compared to the other. I have no idea how this happened. I do not believe anything was in the joint between the bed and gate when I closed it. Because I locked the tonneau cover, I cannot really do much with it. It won't budge when I try to open it. Anyone have any ideas? I do have an appt tomorrow morning with the dealership, but if there is something stupid I'm missing, I'd welcome advice.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 124 Likes on 74 Posts

On the Top of the bedside of the tailgate are two (one on each side) rubber bumpers. These are held on by a single screw and have a habit of twisting on the screw. My thought is this has happened and when you closed the tailgate it ended up like a space between it and the bed.

Edit
The rubber bumper would be up towards the plastic/metal (little lower)line in the first image.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:21 PM

After inspecting even further, I can clearly see that the right side is out of the hinge... I don't see any evidence that somebody was trying to mess with it, but it's a very odd situation.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

How does you tonneau open? If by pulling a string you need to look at the coat hanger trick to get it open. Also if tailgate is completely out of the hinge it might just need 'some' force to get the tailgate down.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Madcap57
How does you tonneau open? If by pulling a string you need to look at the coat hanger trick to get it open. Also if tailgate is completely out of the hinge it might just need 'some' force to get the tailgate down.
Yeah, I can't get it to budge in any direction. Totally stumped by this deal. My tonneau is the Ford version, with the two pull down handles on either side about a foot from the gate. No way to get to those. It will be interesting to see what the Ford techs do to get this thing fixed tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 117 Likes on 88 Posts

If it wont budge at all it sounds more like the latches are jammed. Electric or manual tailgate? If electric you might need to push down, up and all around while trying to unlock it.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:40 PM

It unlocks and the left side moves a tiny bit, but that's the extent of it. Can't move the right side (the out of whack side) at all. Like it's welded in. Then I just push the left side back into the latch and lock the truck.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:11 PM
EdB

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Possibly in a bind from the guide at bottom. In picture you see the 2 torx screws that hold that guide. You may be able to back them out a little to give the tailgate some play or remove the guide. It looks like your tailgate came off the hinge and that guide is in a bind.

Last edited by EdB; 05-25-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by EdB
Possibly in a bind from the guide at bottom. In picture you see the 2 torx screws that hold that guide. You may be able to back them out a little to give the tailgate some play or remove the guide. It looks like your tailgate came off the hinge and that guide is in a bind.
Thanks Ed, is this what you're referring to?

Old 05-25-2018, 10:39 PM
EdB

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kkigs
Thanks Ed, is this what you're referring to?

Yes that is it.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Out of Whack!