Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync3 Applink Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Default Sync3 Applink Issues

Hello all, new f150 w/Sync3 owner here (had original sync for years in previous Escape).

I had a truck for 2 weeks that I had to return for a different one. On truck1, the first time I even paired my phone with Bluetooth, the mobile apps of siriusxm and Spotify showed up, because they are on my phone. The interface is great. Picks up where I left off on siriusxm or Spotify, all the controls visible on Sync3 screen. If I "update mobile apps" it quickly says no updates.

Now, my new truck, the one I'm keeping, truck2. It easily found that I have siriusxm and Spotify. However, if I open the mobile app through applink, the screen is blank except for the back button, and a menu button on the right. Pushing the menu button does nothing. I can hear the phone audio, but no controls at all on the car display. Spotify is the same - empty screen except for "menu" button, which does nothing. Additionally, if I go to" update mobile apps" it says that an update is needed. Pressing to update, it just spins and says updating forever. (the most I've let it spin for is 1.5 hours) I have tried to update on home wifi, while connected to Bluetooth, and a combination of both, even mobile Hotspot while driving.

I searched and searched - very difficult due to the ever changing versions and stale forum threads, and lack of actual screenshots or demos on ford's site. I found the discussions about the synch versions. Both truck1 and truck2 are 2017 xlts with nav. Truck2 came with Sync3 2.0. (I never checked what truck1 had) I did the manual update over USB to Sync3 2.2, worked great. However, the EXACT same issue - mobile apps are blank except for the "menu" button.

​​​TL;DR version:
1) I cannot "update mobile apps", it just spins forever
2) My mobile apps (siriusxm and Spotify) appear blank in the car display
3) I returned the exact type of truck for a new one, and everything (applink wise) worked flawlessly on truck1 but not truck2 (same galaxy s8 phone in both cases)

Thanks for listening,
-Terry
Old 10-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have found applink to be very picky in it's operations. I have had Sync 3 versions 2.0, 2.2, and now 3.0 in my 2016 and all have their quirks. I have an iPhone and I have found that in order for the applink to work properly, I need to have the phone plugged into the USB, apps I want to use (Pandora, Spotify or Apple Music, SiriusXM) open on the phone and the phone unlocked for the best operation. However, I can't get the SiriusXM app to work at all. It won't preset channels and keeps telling me that I have to setup stations in the app, which I have done. Since I live in Alaska, my SXM tuner doesn't work so the app is the only way I can listen to satellite radio. Very frustrating.

TL;DR:

- if you have an iphone, try plugging the phone in with all the apps running and the phone unlocked.
- No suggestions for andorids through.
- SiriusXM app is terrible on applink.

Hope this helps.

Edit, just saw that you have an S8... Sorry, I can't help at all.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Hey, thanks for even reading and replying!

I disagree on the usefulness of the app. I do a lot of listening to on-demand shows that I pre-download. When I pull up the siriusxm applink app in dash, it starts right where I left off, I never even have to touch anything on my phone. And I can pull up the favorites (shows and stations) I programmed while in the app. If only I could get an applink version of Audible and Napster, AND get it to work like the truck1 that I returned, I'd be in listening heaven!

-T
Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Just The Basic Facts

Received 1,019 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by daemonic3
Hey, thanks for even reading and replying!

I disagree on the usefulness of the app. I do a lot of listening to on-demand shows that I pre-download. When I pull up the siriusxm applink app in dash, it starts right where I left off, I never even have to touch anything on my phone. And I can pull up the favorites (shows and stations) I programmed while in the app. If only I could get an applink version of Audible and Napster, AND get it to work like the truck1 that I returned, I'd be in listening heaven!

-T
Go back to the dealer & check the version of SYNC3 on Truck-1 to compare.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 AM

Welp, I went to the dealer and asked to experiment with my phone in an exact equivalent trim level xlt as mine. That truck had default version 2.2 of Sync3, and I took a pic to compare it to my version. I paired my phone with the dealership's truck and my applink apps worked flawlessly on the first try. Additionally, I did "request update" on mobile apps, and it took about 2 seconds to update (whereas mine searches for indefinitely until I cancel)

I checked my truck, EXACT same version I have installed (attached). I'm afraid this problem is so specific that no one in service will know how to fix it, as I can't even find this issue on the internet.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails Sync3 Applink Issues-20171016_164415.jpg  
Old 10-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

I'd demand they change your Sync3 Head unit. Sounds like it might be faulty.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 243 Likes on 162 Posts

I'm currently having the same issue as the OP concerning updating mobile apps. The mobile apps worked fine until recently, but now I see the same thing as the OP on the mobile apps' screens, as well as when attempting to update them. Sirius still works normally (under trial for a few more months).

Sync 3 v. 2.0, (never messed with it, that was the factory-installed version), non-Nav. Android phone (LG G3). Bluetooth works fine with the phone, as does Android Auto. The truck's built-in wifi sees my wifi network and connects as it should.

Any more ideas about what's happening?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 AM

Thinking a little bit more about this, the symptoms I see may have started at the time I had an oil change (the works) service at my dealer. Is it possible that the techs reset something and now the system is confused? Maybe deleting the mobile apps and re-adding them would resolve things. I may try that tomorrow...
Old 10-27-2017, 09:34 AM
Just The Basic Facts

Received 1,019 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by jp2012
Thinking a little bit more about this, the symptoms I see may have started at the time I had an oil change (the works) service at my dealer. Is it possible that the techs reset something and now the system is confused? Maybe deleting the mobile apps and re-adding them would resolve things. I may try that tomorrow...
Have ya checked yer SYNC3 version to see if they updated it?
Old 10-27-2017, 06:07 PM

Husker, yeah, I've checked for updates from Sync in the truck, and checked again this morning. I haven't checked from the owner web site lately, but the truck tells me I have the latest version. The version I have now is the same version and build that was on the truck when I bought it.
The following users liked this post:
Husker (10-27-2017)