Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync Connect? CarPlay update?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Sync Connect? CarPlay update?

I have been holding off on buying and installing the remote start (cell) and alarm modules for my 2016 Lariat until there is some further info about whether Ford will make Sync Connect available as retrofit module on 2016 F150's... I'd hate to buy the current cell model module only to find out they have a new one to support Sync Connect. The current iPhone interface has most of what they advertise for Sync Connect, but it would still be nice to know what Sync Connect will entail. I doubt that Ford would change the hardware 1 year after new Sync 3 hardware was used... so I have to assume it is a software solution... and may be it possibly uses the same cell modem we already can get for remote iPhone start, etc.

Anyone heard anything more? Or know if the current cell modem module is just that...a modem only, and relies on the Sync system and/or car system for it's intelligence?

Would be nice to know when CarPlay will be out also.

I asked the ISV contact on here last week but no response. May be they are not at liberty to say.

Popular Reply

08-29-2016, 09:12 PM
kngelv

Received 390 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by minniehill2
So a mysterious guy with a file and a usb with out a part number...... Somethings fishy!
I love a good STORY.
Originally Posted by Rodgers
Sound like a troll to me.....
This is why people hate message boards. If you notice I had 70+ posts on here before I ever mentioned CarPlay. I work for Ford. I tracked down an engineer handling this. I first talked to him four or five months ago. They have been waiting for the hubs. Finally got one installed last week. Did not look at the part # since I was working while they installed it. Asked the engineer if I had to keep it secret or could I let people know. He said it should go public soon and that it was ok to mention it. Thought I could enlighten some people who appear to be anxiously awaiting it. Numerous posts on here helped me decide on Husky mats, a Bak Revolver and a BedRug. Thought I could reciprocate. BTW for the people who aren't tools here is a pic of the screen. You have to leave it plugged in for CarPlay to work and no matter what screen you are on when you pull up the camera on your phone it defaults to the home screen.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

The Ford IVT representative has stated the 2016 models would not support Sync Connect and there will be no path to Sync Connect as the "modem" is completely different.

I don't have any info as to CarPlay.

I too was waiting but decided to go ahead with the current Remote Access product. It is dissapointing though we can't have Sync Connect
Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Ford Customer Service

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Hi everyone!

SYNC Connect is an optional feature on select 2017 model year vehicles. It's basically SYNC 3 with an additional modem to allow the remote features. Customers will have the option to choose between SYNC 3 or SYNC Connect.

CarPlay will be added in an update later this year. I'm unable to speculate on an exact release date. Stay tuned to our Media site for announcements: Media.Ford.com

Shaay
The following 5 users liked this post by FordIVTteam:
afloatandrew (07-11-2016), dieselxdan (11-01-2016), Kirkl (11-02-2016), Roundtuit (11-01-2016), zx12-iowa (06-04-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi everyone!

SYNC Connect is an optional feature on select 2017 model year vehicles. It's basically SYNC 3 with an additional modem to allow the remote features. Customers will have the option to choose between SYNC 3 or SYNC Connect.

CarPlay will be added in an update later this year. I'm unable to speculate on an exact release date. Stay tuned to our Media site for announcements: Media.Ford.com

Shaay

I was told by our Ford rep that we are waiting for updated USB ports for the 16's that will support CarPlay and will be a pretty inexpensive feature to add. I just wish it was available for my 15!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Heck, I just wish Sync 3 would recognize my 2nd Gen ipod nano...
Old 05-25-2016, 11:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone heard any rumors as to when we might expect the 2016 Sync 3 update to enable Carplay/Android Auto support?

I read somewhere that it was about 8 weeks away, but I forget where.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody?

Originally Posted by tdp252
Has anyone heard any rumors as to when we might expect the 2016 Sync 3 update to enable Carplay/Android Auto support?

I read somewhere that it was about 8 weeks away, but I forget where.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 AM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

End of this month
The following users liked this post:
dieselxdan (11-01-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeJ
I was told by our Ford rep that we are waiting for updated USB ports for the 16's that will support CarPlay and will be a pretty inexpensive feature to add. I just wish it was available for my 15!
It's more than just a USB port; the entire infotainment platform changed. 2015 models are running MyFordTouch, while the 2016+ models moved to Sync3. The hardware between these two platforms is not inter-operable. The upgrade path for 2015 owners involves a full infotainment swap, which is only available thru 3rd parties, AFAIK.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:30 PM
Senior Lurker

Received 156 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by mlpjunior
It's more than just a USB port; the entire infotainment platform changed. 2015 models are running MyFordTouch, while the 2016+ models moved to Sync3. The hardware between these two platforms is not inter-operable. The upgrade path for 2015 owners involves a full infotainment swap, which is only available thru 3rd parties, AFAIK.
You need to re-read the post you quoted - he didn't make any reference to the 15's being an easy upgrade. Just that the 16's may need a new USB port to work with Car Play. Seems like he's quite aware that the 15's aren't a cheap or easy upgrade....

Quick Reply: Sync Connect? CarPlay update?