Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync 3 nav map upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Sync 3 nav map upgrades

Just spoke to Ford Customer Care and Here (map creator). Best guess from Here rep's experience is an upgrade to the 2014 maps in our vehicles will be late this year/1st quarter next year. He said the company normally updates every 18-24 months and from his experience the timing would be best guess on his part.

Also, updates are normally by USB drive and Ford has historically charged about $150 for the upgrade.

Also, if you want to make changes/corrections to their maps, the site is:

https://mapcreator.here.com
Old 10-01-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

Once 2.0 rolls out, having Android Auto or Car Play will lessen the need to update the maps on the unit. Ford's updates are cheaper then some other manufactures that also require the dealer to install. So it ends up being $600+ for maps to be updated. At least with Ford, you can do the update yourself.
The following users liked this post:
albertschmitz (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by tbinmd
Once 2.0 rolls out, having Android Auto or Car Play will lessen the need to update the maps on the unit. Ford's updates are cheaper then some other manufactures that also require the dealer to install. So it ends up being $600+ for maps to be updated. At least with Ford, you can do the update yourself.
Not everyone either has unlimited data or decides to use what data they have via their phones. For instance I travel in areas where there are major gaps in cell coverage and I cannot make changes in destinations though google maps. I don't need to stream music, chat online, or anything like that.

I listen to sat radio, or over the air FM or CD . My phone is a convenience, something I have never based my life around. Having worked for Homeland Security, I don't and never have used social networking (if you knew how it could be tracked and used, you wouldn't either).

For those who depend for everything with their phones, hopefully Android Auto and CarPlay will be the greatest thing in their lives and meets their needs.

Even if you use your phones for nav, listing errors/missing roads to the Here site would be assisting those of us who use it.

Last edited by Ifallsguy; 10-01-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ifallsguy
Not everyone either has unlimited data or decides to use what data they have via their phones. For instance I travel in areas where there are major gaps in cell coverage and I cannot make changes in destinations though google maps. I don't need to stream music, chat online, or anything like that.

I listen to sat radio, or over the air FM or CD . My phone is a convenience, something I have never based my life around. Having worked for Homeland Security, I don't and never have used social networking (if you knew how it could be tracked and used, you wouldn't either).
No social media here, why give more personal information to a company when all they to do is sell it. Surprised you use a cell phone, as they are constantly tracked. Harder to exploit but still possible.

At least on an iPhone maps uses very little data. The map sections are downloaded in tiles. I have found when traveling in Europe without data turned on, I can load maps, zoom out on wifi and load the tiles then when out and about use maps to navigate.

Car play and Android Auto is just a mother choice, the more choices we have the better. It's nice to finally see these options available.

Quick Reply: Sync 3 nav map upgrades