Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUV to Pickup Handling in Snow

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUV to Pickup Handling in Snow

Hi Everyone,

I've owned several SUV's (Explorer, Jimmy, Trailblazer, Infiniti FX, Kia Sportage) and all were actually pretty good when driving in snow. I did own a Chevy Colorado 4x4 when they first were produced and it was by far the worse thandling vehicle i owned. It would fishtail constantly and completely slide sideways with any amount of snow. I totally understand having snow tires is best but I want to start with a vehicle that can handle most snowfalls without them.

I have a ski property in Canada where I drive 1200 miles round trip several times in a winter season. I want interior luxuries like BSM/Adaptive Cruise/cooled seats/ etc when driving these distances. There isn't another pickup that even has Adaptive Cruise. Question is, how does the F150 handle in the snow compared to a SUV? Do you add any weight to the bed? Is a locking rear differential a must? Would you feel comfortable driving back roads during a heavy snowfall? I feel pretty confident driving in bad weather, however, there is nothing worse than being in a vehicle with zero traction.

I'm also looking at a Grand Cherokee, for example, but think I want the convenience of throwing all equipment in the bed and not destroying my interior like I have been doing.

Thanks,
Nic
Old 07-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

I've owned several 4x4 SUVs (Explorers, Escapes and a S-10 Blazer). I've owned several 4x4 trucks (too many to list). The SUVs can't compare in the snow to the trucks. I thought all of my SUVs handled well in snow until I had my first 4x4 truck. No comparison.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I got my 2009 stuck in Ames, IA back in 2010. It was driver error, I couldn't see the depth of the drift and turtled in the middle of the street trying to break through it during the big blizzard.

Otherwise, I would say that the longer wheelbase is much better in snow and bad conditions. Less chance of spinouts when cornering, and the Ford traction control has always worked well in deeper snow for me. I really don't feel that a locking rear differential is warranted, I've driven my truck in North Dakota winters, Minnesota winters, Iowa winters!

I never add weight, the 4 door trucks feel balanced really well personally...

Quick Reply: SUV to Pickup Handling in Snow