Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Problems - Not the typical rails

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Internet Expert

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Sunroof Problems - Not the typical rails

My roof made a bunch of noise and stuck with one side open the other side down. I ordered the new rails and pulled the glass out last night... The problem is that the tracks are in different positions and I don't see a way to somehow move them to be in the same location. For example, the left side is in the tilt up position while the right side is in the closed position. I tried to doing the auto calibration with the glass out to see if they would align themselves but no luck.

Is there a way to move these? Is seems one side has slipped on the track and I can't see how to get them both into the same position. Grrrr.....
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Received 257 Likes on 167 Posts

I think you need one of these special tools!

Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Mine did the the last time and I tried the calibration thing. Broke the piece that lines up when the two panels are closed - it's a trough that runs water from the glass to the side drains so it a a part you don't want to break or lose.
I took mine in because it is under warranty so I can't help you figure out how to line it back up. I looked at it for a while before I took it in but couldn't figure it out.

Ford could have made this roof a better way by having it pop up & out like smaller vehicles do and I don't think it would have been nearly as much of a pain in the rump.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Internet Expert

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

I broke the rain trough. Typical... $208 bucks shipped. I called the sunroof doctor and he said I need to pull the sunroof motor out so I can re-align the tracks. That means the headliner needs to come down.... Blah. This is BS.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 990 Likes on 667 Posts

Dang! After reading all the horror stories, I think I`ll just leave mine closed...
Old 06-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pano Roof Pains

I am sorry for the those who have struggled with roof problems. I purchased a 2016 Lariat about six months ago and very fortunately also purchased an extended warranty. I bought this truck as it had the equipment that I was looking for including the Pano roof. In April I opened the roof for the first time after the long cold winter and sure enough it made a crunching noise and resulted it jamming with one corner lower. I took it to a local Ford dealer, not where I purchased it, and after their diagnosis the bad news was it needed the frame and motor drive replaced. The repair estimate was $3000. That is where the extended warranty paid for it's self. The repair was covered with my $100 deductible. I have since talked with several repair shops and all agree that moon/sun roofs all have issues. Not unique to Ford, GM, Honda, Chrysler it doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, they are all susceptible to repair issues.

I guess the moral to the story is if you want the pleasure of a sun roof, prepare for the costs.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problems - Not the typical rails