Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spring Compressor

I plan on installing my Bilstein 5100s this weekend. I've see where some spring compressors are not working well with the beefy F150 springs. What spring compressors work best?
Old 10-11-2021, 12:53 PM

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

When I did mine I tried to use some like this from my buddy. But it wasn't able to compress the spring nearly enough. So I rented two sets from my local auto parts store instead. They were the style pictured below. I rented two initially because I know from previous experience rented tools are usually not in the best shape. One was beat to hell and the other was brand new. I ended up using both sets at the same time. So I had four of them mounted all around the spring.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,209 Likes on 2,871 Posts

Originally Posted by VerTDznS
When I did mine I tried to use some like this from my buddy. But it wasn't able to compress the spring nearly enough. So I rented two sets from my local auto parts store instead. They were the style pictured below. I rented two initially because I know from previous experience rented tools are usually not in the best shape. One was beat to hell and the other was brand new. I ended up using both sets at the same time. So I had four of them mounted all around the spring.
you are a very brave man using that style on F150 springs...
OP, i would take the struts off, go to a shop and pay them whatever their rate is and let them do it.
The following 4 users liked this post by djfllmn:
03screwon22's (10-11-2021), artsr2002 (10-11-2021), D.WRECK (10-11-2021), johnday in BFE (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I end up using this style I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by VerTDznS

Old 10-11-2021, 02:24 PM

Received 501 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Dumptruck
I plan on installing my Bilstein 5100s this weekend. I've see where some spring compressors are not working well with the beefy F150 springs. What spring compressors work best?
As mentioned above, consider removing the struts and having a shop swap the springs over for you. There’s a tremendous amount of force involved when using spring compressors. That can go wrong quite violently. It shouldn’t cost much for a shop to bench swap em for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by f one fiddy:
johnday in BFE (10-11-2021), Travicles (10-13-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Ford Fanatic

Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I have used the above mentioned spring compressors a few times on the f150 springs using 3 or 4 depending on if it will fit in the spring. It is obviously not safe and do not recommend it however when you only have one vehicle and can only do it on the weekends I was really left with no options. It can be done at your own risk, but you have to try and be as careful as one can be. Using a shop compressor is the best and easiest way by far, but when one has no other options we do what we can do.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:34 AM

Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Use this kind it's a step above the rest. I put it in my bench vise and used my electric impact gun on the worm drive to close and open the compressor. It was really slick and only took about 20 minutes to set up my 6112's.
This style is from Auto zone's tool loaner program. After your done using it, return it and it's free.

Last edited by Darknight1974; 10-12-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:26 AM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

I used the cheap harbor freight ones and they were fine. Just need to use a good lube on the threads.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:51 PM

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by f one fiddy
As mentioned above, consider removing the struts and having a shop swap the springs over for you. There’s a tremendous amount of force involved when using spring compressors. That can go wrong quite violently. It shouldn’t cost much for a shop to bench swap em for you.
Agreed. This is what we use at the shop for all of our struts. It doesn't take long to swap them out and wouldnt cost the customer a lot if they brought them to us. I completely understand only being able to knock it out on the weekends as well, but until you see those other spring compressors break, you won't understand where those of us who discourage that are coming from.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:23 AM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

Using a spring compressor on the truck allows easy strut removal without disturbing the IWEs. Claims that any opposing opinion is due to not understanding something are BS from those who lack the ability to substantiate their opinions with actual facts.

Quick Reply: Spring Compressor