Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry for the age old question, but I need to know if towing this....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 01:05 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sorry for the age old question, but I need to know if towing this....

......is within spec.

I know, some of you are tired of seeing the question, and yes, I tried the search function, which turned up tones of confusing advice, but here goes anyway......

I have a 2018 sCREW, 2.7 eco boost, 3:55 rear. It’s just me and my wife.

I just bought a camper with a dry weight of 5830, and 26’ in length. Dealer told me I’d be OK (of course).

He’s throwing in the WDH and brake controls.

I grew up, and occasionally stil work on a grain farm here in Iowa. Pulling heavy things is nothing new to me. Pulling heavy things fast is new to me. My gut told me I’m fine. Now, the interwebs are injecting confusion and concern.

So am I good to go? I hope?
Old 01-26-2019, 02:21 AM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

To get the most help, post a photo of the weight rating placard in your door jamb, or the ratings. Also what is the gross weight rating of the trailer? I doubt you will be hauling it around dry and empty.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by KG7BTU
To get the most help, post a photo of the weight rating placard in your door jamb, or the ratings. Also what is the gross weight rating of the trailer? I doubt you will be hauling it around dry and empty.
We also need to know if you have the tow package. You say he is including a brake controller so I'd say you don't have it. The trailer will probably be in the neighborhood of 650 to 700# tongue weight. The max tow weight per the guide for any 2.7 Screw is 7600#. Look at this thread as the questions may be answered already. https://www.f150forum.com/f82/please...oboost-436331/
Here is the tow guide to help you decide. http://www.diehlford.com/images/pdf/...uide_F_150.pdf

Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-26-2019 at 07:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jame9259 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

I'm betting no, but like already said, no way to know without seeing your door stickers.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jame9259
......is within spec.

I know, some of you are tired of seeing the question, and yes, I tried the search function, which turned up tones of confusing advice, but here goes anyway......

I have a 2018 sCREW, 2.7 eco boost, 3:55 rear. It’s just me and my wife.

I just bought a camper with a dry weight of 5830, and 26’ in length. Dealer told me I’d be OK (of course).

He’s throwing in the WDH and brake controls.

I grew up, and occasionally stil work on a grain farm here in Iowa. Pulling heavy things is nothing new to me. Pulling heavy things fast is new to me. My gut told me I’m fine. Now, the interwebs are injecting confusion and concern.

So am I good to go? I hope?
At this point, does it really matter if you are "good to go"? You seem to have bought a trailer without knowing if your truck is rated to tow it.

Here is how to know for sure:
1. Gather full information about your truck (i.e. tow package or no? payload? GVWR? GCWR? etcetera)
2. Read the owners manual.
3. Read the towing guide.
4. Make your own decision.

Generally, your truck is rated to tow up to 6000 pounds with the 53B hitch option, and up to 7600 (4WD) or 7700 (2WD) with the 53A tow package.

Bottom line, IMO, if you don't load up the trailer excessively and you get the WDH almost perfect...you should be borderline okay...BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TOW PACKAGE (53A). Without the tow package, I would not consider towing your trailer. YMMV

Good luck.

Last edited by TomD; 01-26-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

HI James I have a 2017 Scab 2.7 eco with the 3.73 rear end I have a 2013 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 266rks. it is the same length as yours and the dry weight is 5912 lbs . We never travel with water in the tanks and once loaded, I am guessing it is around 6500lbs

I can tell you that I have absolutely no problem towing my RV either on flats or hills. The engine easily tows my RV with power to spare. Even on the up hills.
Yours would have the 10 speed transmission so I dont think you would have any issue either with the 3.55

To make it a better tow experience, I have a Curt Trutrack WDH and I installed Bilstein shock in the rear of my Truck. Made big difference .
I am still running the OEM tire and when towing , I inflate the rear to 50 and the front to 45 psi.

As long as you are not one of those .... that like to travel at 70+MPH you should be fine.

Happy camping

Last edited by berniedes; 01-26-2019 at 09:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jame9259 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:28 AM

I’m not home right now, fellas, and I can’t remember if I have tow package or not. I think I remember a transmission cooler as part of my options, but I’ll have to check. If I have that, I’m going to say I’m probably ok, but won’t move any further forward without finding out those specs.

Thanks for the heads up, guys.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by TomD
At this point, does it really matter if you are "good to go"? You seem to have bought a trailer without knowing if your truck is rated to tow it.

Here is how to know for sure:
1. Gather full information about your truck (i.e. tow package or no? payload? GVWR? GCWR? etcetera)
2. Read the owners manual.
3. Read the towing guide.
4. Make your own decision.

Generally, your truck is rated to tow up to 6000 pounds with the 53B hitch option, and up to 7600 (4WD) or 7700 (2WD) with the 53A tow package.

Bottom line, IMO, if you don't load up the trailer excessively and you get the WDH almost perfect...you should be borderline okay...BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TOW PACKAGE (53A). Without the tow package, I would not consider towing your trailer. YMMV

Good luck.
Well, to be honest about it, I was looking at trailers that weighed about 800 pounds less, and this one just sort of landed in my lap. I knew if Ford didn’t provide for it in my truck, I can provide for my self via after market if necessary. 53A provides for a tranny cooler, 4 and 7 pin hookups, a hitch, and an upgraded front sway bar. The hookups and hitch are already there, mine came with some workable rear view mirrors, motor, rear end, and brakes are capable ( with addition of trailer brakes). I also have the bigger 20” rims, and I can add a tranny cooler if I need to for just $50 or so.

I should add that anyone can tow nearly anything safely, with one reasonable and proper variable. Speed. We’ll be taking back roads at 55 mph or so, as we’re not in as much of a hurry anymore. We’ll let the kids get there first and let them do the hard work. We’ll get there when we get there.

I was just looking for a little extra input from the tribe here, and I’ve gleaned some good information from this thread, among other resources.

After following up with a competing RV dealer, two Ford dealerships, Ford Motor Company (thanks for the guide links, guys) a hitch/tow accessory company, and a towing company, I know I’ll be ok, with the addition of a wdh, anti-sway, and trailer brakes.

Thanks for the tips, fellas. This is a pretty great site you have here. I appreciate the help.

Last edited by jame9259; 01-27-2019 at 12:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Sorry for the age old question, but I need to know if towing this....