Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run fans manually

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Run fans manually

Can you guys tell me where I can connect a switch to manually turn the engine cooling fans on when the truck isn't running? I did a test the other day & found the truck has a fail-safe, I pulled the #70 relay & ran the truck--with relay out fans run on high speed. Connect at sensor--wherever that is?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm new to the truck world. Why do you want to manually run you rad fans?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rancheroracer
Can you guys tell me where I can connect a switch to manually turn the engine cooling fans on when the truck isn't running? I did a test the other day & found the truck has a fail-safe, I pulled the #70 relay & ran the truck--with relay out fans run on high speed. Connect at sensor--wherever that is?
You would need to look at the wiring diagram or the case of the relay, find out which wire the PCM grounds to activate the relay and connect a switch from that to ground. But the PCM may not like that, it may think its a short and set a code or you may get a fan rationality code. Both would give you a CEL on.
The following users liked this post:
rancheroracer (10-25-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 10:15 PM
T_R

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by V8-Coyote
I'm new to the truck world. Why do you want to manually run you rad fans?
Probably to cool the engine for drag racing.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:39 AM

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by T_R
You would need to look at the wiring diagram or the case of the relay, find out which wire the PCM grounds to activate the relay and connect a switch from that to ground. But the PCM may not like that, it may think its a short and set a code or you may get a fan rationality code. Both would give you a CEL on.
Yes, I wondered about that, (pcm/short), maybe with just key on-engine off if wouldn't. Have to do some checking with the multimeter I guess, just kinda scared I'll mess something up. That's why I thought I'd ask you guys.

Quick Reply: Run fans manually