Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversing A.S.S. switch function

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 364 Likes on 254 Posts
Default Reversing A.S.S. switch function

Does anyone know how the A.S.S. switch works? Is it a NO (Normally Open) relay that toggles between NO and NC (normally closed) each time you press it? If so, we could use another NC relay to reverse its function. The bottom diagram shows how their switch works now (I think). The upper diagram shows how we can reverse its function with a single SPST NC relay. (I used a speaker diagram to represent the A.S.S. device.) You cut the wire after the switch, run the switch side to the relay activator, run the other cut wire side to 12v+, and run the other side of the relay activator to 12v-, voila. (Note that when their switch is off, A.S.S. is active. When their switch is off, ours is on, deactivating A.S.S. When their switch is on, ours is off, activating A.S.S. That exactly reverses the function of the A.S.S. switch.) (If their switch is merely a momentary contact switch, we would need a latching relay.)

Last edited by rliles1; 02-03-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

I haven't looked at the diagrams, but I'm pretty certain all of those buttons are momentary switches. When you press it, you send an input to the computer - that's what turns the function off.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by tvsjr
I haven't looked at the diagrams, but I'm pretty certain all of those buttons are momentary switches. When you press it, you send an input to the computer - that's what turns the function off.
In that case, this latching relay should work. We would come off of 56b (the NC pin). Of course, we need a latching relay that does not require reversing polarity to make it work. This relay requires the ground to be switched instead of the hot wire. That would necessitate a somewhat different wiring path, but not tremendously so. The Ford switch would be taken completely out of the hot wire section, and wired back in on the ground wire section.

This would be the new wiring diagram.

Last edited by rliles1; 02-03-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

The computer is likely looking for a pulse, not a constant. To do it right, you'd have to do something like a 555 in a one-shot configuration to apply the pulse.

Or, just turn the crap off with Forscan.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Worst hairday ever...

Received 253 Likes on 165 Posts

I think it's looking for input "on" to toggle *** on/off. I can only speak for my 2015 but pressing and holding the button toggles the *** to on or off. That's why the jumper method works.

The NC relay contact to reverse logic would probably work fine to disable on startup and you still retain the option to turn it back on.

An NPN BJT or mosfet would probably work as well.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

If you want to change the default state, you may be better of using this device:

PAC TR-7 Universal Trigger Output Module for Video Bypass
Amazon Amazon

With it you can configure it to send a single pulse when the truck is started kicking the system into 'off' mode, then subsequent presses of the button will allow you to cycle between on and off.

As a side note, the same device can be used to change the "default" drive mode. Same idea, it can pulse the button automatically on start selecting the mode you want.
The following users liked this post:
k.b. (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Worst hairday ever...

Received 253 Likes on 165 Posts

Here's the circuit.

I would have to check sheet 40-2 but I'm guessing it's a sourcing input on one of the modules. Interesting the 360 module is wired to the *** switch.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
The NC relay contact to reverse logic would probably work fine to disable on startup and you still retain the option to turn it back on.
That is exactly what I would like to do. While I don't like A.S.S., I can see utility in heavy stop and go traffic or in severe city traffic. I currently have it disabled with ForScan, but if we could have it automagically reverse on engine start (initially be OFF rather than ON), I would leave it functional and turn it on whenever I felt it was useful. I am not an electronics person, and don't understand the terminology, but if someone who does understand how to do it, I would be interested.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by KG7BTU
If you want to change the default state, you may be better of using this device:

PAC TR-7 Universal Trigger Output Module for Video Bypass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002J22BO..._n8HDAbQ3MGRJ6

With it you can configure it to send a single pulse when the truck is started kicking the system into 'off' mode, then subsequent presses of the button will allow you to cycle between on and off.

As a side note, the same device can be used to change the "default" drive mode. Same idea, it can pulse the button automatically on start selecting the mode you want.
That would be perfect. Unfortunately, I have no electronics knowledge. I would need "connect the blue wire to the red wire" type instructions.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 AM

Received 102 Likes on 93 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/oem-s...device-385587/

Quick Reply: Reversing A.S.S. switch function