Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Sensor Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Reverse Sensor Cold Weather

It has finally gotten cold enough to freeze here in Ohio. The other night I washed my truck and dried it, but had to park it outside (temp about 5deg). Drove it home and went to back it into the driveway and the truck went into alarm saying to check all surroundings. The outline of the truck in the LCD was red. Left the truck sit outside in the sun, and later that afternoon it seems as though the situation corrected itself (thawed?) So yesterday it was 60 and rain. Temps dropped to 20 overnight, and again this morning the truck is alarming and saying to check surroundings. I do not have the 360, just the BLIS/reverse sensing w/ camera. Has anyone had this issue? I checked the sensors and none of them have any ice on them.

Any thoughts?
Thank you
Old 12-18-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Did you possibly is that you got water into a bumper sensor?
Old 12-18-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything is possible, just seems strange that it would happen again this morning and that it would say to check all surroundings...
Old 12-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This exact thing happened to me yesterday, washed the truck right before it got really cold outside. The first time I reversed out of a parking space my left rear sensor is constantly alarming that there is an object behind. Kept happening every time I tested it. There is no damage that I can see, how is it possible that being washed has somehow interfered with the sensors?
Old 12-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

If you wash at a car wash, the jets of water can get in places. Same with a forced hose stream. Until it dries out, it keeps freezing.
The following users liked this post:
Apdl (12-02-2019)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
If you wash at a car wash, the jets of water can get in places. Same with a forced hose stream. Until it dries out, it keeps freezing.
This was with a low pressure garden hose in my driveway. I didn't even spray underneath, in fact I was simply rinsing off the body with water and a wash rag only just to knock off some road grime build up.

I've been through wash tunnels 4 or 5 times before and had no issues.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Left Rear sensor is freaking out for no reason as well. Must be a reason . .
The following users liked this post:
Apdl (12-02-2019)
Old 12-18-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Had this happen on the left side as well once hasn't done it again though. In Ohio too so it's been cold got above freezing yesterday and back below today.

my other post explains my situation today, but it's disappointing. Second F150 with this system 4th ford, first vehicle i don't feel like I can trust this system anymore. It just flat out didn't work after going crazy first two times. If it works 99% of the time and the 1% it doesn't but you have no idea because it just won't alarm as you back onto something and your used to hearing it beep. You'll hit something

Last edited by tjm623; 12-18-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 AM
2015 F150 PLATNIUM Anch

Received 634 Likes on 313 Posts

I've experienced a constant alarm after washing the truck in colder weather or a change of temp cold to warmer , never thought it a big deal ... a few minutes with a hair dryer on the sensors seem to fix the alarm til the next very random attack
Old 12-18-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Just actually had to go somewhere and it's back.

adjusting truck in wide open spot go into reverse truck icon and all corners light up red constant chime like I'm about to hit something nothing around me though.

get out and come back to leave, now all I get is yellow marker on left side with yellow noise going the whole time again nothing by me.

at home the way I park requires a few maneuvers so three more times in reverse:

1st time: all red across both sides alarm noise going off entire time I'm trying to back up

2nd time: red on left corner only but sonar lines are working showing green,yellow as I get closer

3rd time: no red, no nothing, it's like it's not on.