Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regular axle or Electronic Locking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regular axle or Electronic Locking?

I see some of the f150's I am looking at have regular rear axles, and some have electronic locking ones. The truck I really like is not electronic locking. Will I wish I had one?

Thanks!!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Posted often.

It depends. Do you drive in deep mud? Do you drive in lots of loose gravel? Do you launch boats on slick ramps? If no to all these, then you won't miss it, especially if you buy a 4x4.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts

I overthink everything and was I was sure I needed the locking axle, but at the last minute decided not to get it. To test my traction I put the truck in AWD and backed onto some wet grass. Punched it a bit and both rear tires spun. Can't think the locker would have done much better. If you are getting 2wd I would definitely get it, otherwise it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The locker will do better because your traction control is what enabled both tires to spin. It is braking the tire that is spinning and giving the other one traction - for who knows how long.

The locker will ensure both axles are mechanically locked regardless of the effectiveness of traction control.

I have a 2WD with the e-locker. Coming from a 2004 Chevy Z71 with G80 locker, I knew how effective a mechanical locker could be. Nice thing about the e-locker is there is no guess work to when it is engaged or not. The Z71 was a hand full in the rain for sure.
The following users liked this post:
WillB (09-10-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 2,547 Likes on 1,344 Posts

It's not really a deal breaker. I have it, but it was more just because I wanted it and it didn't hurt my ability to find the truck I wanted.

Modern "fake" limited slip systems like our trucks have, ELD or not, are pretty damn good. That combined with 4WD is enough to handle 95% of even the worst of what you are likely to run into with normal driving.

If you plan to go mudding or live in an area with real deep snow/ice and plan to not use winter tires, I would get it. But in bad snow conditions, 4x4 with no ELD and snow tires will outperform a 4x4 with ELD and All Season, plus your stopping distance is way better. Just comes down to where you spend your money.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 423 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by joutlaw
I have a 2WD with the e-locker. Coming from a 2004 Chevy Z71 with G80 locker, I knew how effective a mechanical locker could be. Nice thing about the e-locker is there is no guess work to when it is engaged or not. The Z71 was a hand full in the rain for sure.
Most the time my 2006 chevy wouldn't even engage the locker until I let off the gas pedal. I like the E-locker much better.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Better to have and not need it. I rarely used the elocker. But last week during the hurricane I had to make a tight turnaround because the road ahead was flooded and my dumbself went to close to the ditch and my right rear got buried. Put her in 4H and spun to nowhere. I locked the locker and with barely any throttle, came right out. This was probably the 4th or 5th I've used it. 4H often gets me out. But not last week.
The following users liked this post:
Enoch (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 316 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by vulnox
It's not really a deal breaker. I have it, but it was more just because I wanted it and it didn't hurt my ability to find the truck I wanted.

Modern "fake" limited slip systems like our trucks have, ELD or not, are pretty damn good. That combined with 4WD is enough to handle 95% of even the worst of what you are likely to run into with normal driving.

If you plan to go mudding or live in an area with real deep snow/ice and plan to not use winter tires, I would get it. But in bad snow conditions, 4x4 with no ELD and snow tires will outperform a 4x4 with ELD and All Season, plus your stopping distance is way better. Just comes down to where you spend your money.
I was under the impression that we have electronic lockersx not electronic limited slip...
Old 09-08-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts

If you have an e-locker, you have both the fake limited slip (brake application) and the mechanical lock.

It's a must have for me, mainly because I think it is cool. I think I could get by with 2WD with the e-locker.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I made sure to get a locking rear diff, since I bought a 4X2.