Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Really Need Some Advice

Well my 2018 F150 XLT 4x4 Sport has definitely not lived up to my expectations. I have the 5.0 liter motor with the infamous ten speed transmission. It is a beautiful truck that I paid $39,500 cash for. It was supposed to be my retirement truck. All this truck has been is a big headache. The motor rattles and chirps and all the dealers say it sounds "normal". It does not burn or leak any oil which is the one good thing I can say about it. But the sound of the engine drives me crazy. It actually sounds OK at times but mostly sounds like crap to my ears. The transmission is very unpredictable, and I drive like a little old lady. LOL The sticker price on the truck was $50,200. I bought it through A Plan with some rebates thrown in as well. Also the truck has a lot of wind noise in the cabin at freeway speeds that drives me up a wall. I went and looked at a 2018 brand new XLT today. It has the smallest motor that Ford puts in a pickup I believe it was a 3.3 liter with a six speed transmission. It was also a two wheel drive and had a much more forgiving suspension. It really took the bumps in the road much better than my 4x4. Same color as my truck magma red with XLT chrome 302A package. My truck only has 3500 miles on it. They offered me $29,000 for my truck after some haggling. I really liked the ride and sound of the two wheel drive truck with the smallest motor, I was really shocked at how well it drove and hugged the road, plenty enough pep for me as well. I really don't need a 4x4 I hardly ever use four wheel drive. The truck had a hitch on it but no tow package like my current truck has. I really don't need the tow package anyway. So should I take the $10,000 loss and call it a deal?? I really like the looks of my current truck but it has a rough ride to it with the big 20" rims. I would have to give them my truck and $3500 to call it a deal. What would you do?? Also my current truck makes a big clunking noise about one out of every dozen times I start it. Both trucks are supercabs..
Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Totally up to you. If your current truck will never make you happy, which I totally understand since it sounds like a real POS. I wouldn't blame you. If you can afford to take the hit and it gives you peace of mind and can enjoy the truck and your retirement then do it.

Not much help with this, it just all depends on what you want to do financially.
The following users liked this post:
jrhooper1963 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

That’s tough. Obviously you’re asking for opinion so you’re likely to get a lot of different ones. I’d imagine most will scoff at taking a $10k loss. But at the end of the day, if you’re not happy with the truck you have and you feel like the new truck is going to remedy the issues you have with the current truck....well, there you go. It kinda sounds like you might have bought too much truck to begin with. You could probably go a long way towards solving the ride issue by swapping the 20” wheels and tires for an OEM 17” set and a set of high quality comfort-oriented tires such as the Michelin LTX line or whatever their equivalent is these days. But that’s only one issue. As I understand it, the base 3.3L is a fairly simple and reliable engine and the 6 speed trans is proven.

Which are you going to be more unhappy with...settling with the truck you have or knowing it cost you $10k to figure out what you really wanted?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 877 Likes on 561 Posts

I love my truck so I’m not ragging on Ford but if I was as unhappy with mine as you seem to be with yours I don’t think I would be looking at another Ford to replace it.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree on tires. I have 2.7/10 speed and am pleased so far(<5000 miles). Check to make sure you have the latest tranny flash, and I might not have the dealer that wants to make that deal say they did it. If you need peace of mind put a tenth of the loss toward ESP and turn up the radio.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 PM

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Ouch. A solid wouldn’t do it in my opinion. At the very least I’d drive your current truck for a couple more years, like until the 3/36 warranty has expired. That first year of depreciation is a bitch. Wait a couple years, pay nothing for repairs, then cut a deal on a pretty all new(?) 2021!!!
Old 04-25-2019, 12:01 AM

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by D2Abbott
Ouch. A solid wouldn’t do it in my opinion. At the very least I’d drive your current truck for a couple more years, like until the 3/36 warranty has expired. That first year of depreciation is a bitch. Wait a couple years, pay nothing for repairs, then cut a deal on a pretty all new(?) 2021!!!
yes this is the way to go.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2019, 12:36 AM
Hold my beer

Received 435 Likes on 282 Posts

No way I would take a $10k loss AND give them $3500 just to drive a truck that is less equipped. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror for being a sucker twice. Why not see if the dealer can reprogram the transmission? Spend a couple hundred bucks and upgrade your shocks / struts. Idk, I just couldn't justify that $13.5K loss for your reasons mentioned, but it ain't my monies. I'd drive it until the warranty was up and then trade it in for a newer used truck. Let someone else take the hit on that depreciation.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know your finances, so don't take this personally, but wilfully taking a $10K hit at the beginning of retirement would be the height of stupidity for 99% of Americans. It's all about sequence risk at that point in the game, unless you have a guaranteed pension for the rest of your days your financial freedom is most vulnerable in the early years of retirement. It's just a stinking truck, not worth it at all unless you're on solid bedrock, financially, for retirement.

Somehow I don't think you asked this question here in order to hear this answer. Again, I don't know your finances so disregard if the shoe doesn't fit and don't take it personally.
The following 2 users liked this post by OopsUpsideYerHead:
noclutch (04-26-2019), Ricktwuhk (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 02:47 AM

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Lot of good advice here. As predicted, some different opinions. After reading through I’d have to give some major thought to the notion to hang onto it until you reach the bumper to bumper warranty expiration. Invest a tiny fraction of the trade money in those new wheels and tires. I feel fairly certain that’ll solve your ride issue. Actually, factory 17” wheels are cheap and by the time you sell your stock 20s it’ll probably cost you next to nothing. You’re still going to take a hit if you trade it in three years from now but it’ll be spread out a little more and you’ll have three years of use to show for it. Also, whether it be now or later, have you considered trying to find a low mileage trade-in rather than buying another new truck?

Quick Reply: Really Need Some Advice