Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions - Electronic parking brake, 4H 4L

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Questions - Electronic parking brake, 4H 4L

Just got my 2015 F150 XL 4x4 today and drove it home for the first time. She is pretty. But this is one of many questions I'm going to have with the truck.

1. electronic parking brake, is it automatic?

My driveway is pretty steep and Im worried it might roll back. I drove it to the top of the driveway put it in park and it seem stay put but I just want to be sure.
When the saleperson went over the controls with me he told me to engage 4H around 50 mph and to use 4L to stop, put in neutral and engage 4L.

2. What if I slow down in 4H , will it hurt the truck? WHats the max speed at 4L?

3. Can I transition from 4L to 4H while the trucks moving?

4. When driving in the snow with 4H what if there are patches of dry pavement?

5. Driving in the rain in 4H?
Thanks

Last edited by denimtouch; 02-13-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:09 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

dont know about the parking brake...
4H, you can use it at any speeds. either put it in 4H before you start moving, or if you're driving, let off the gas, turn the ****, give it a second or 2 for the transfer case to engage, and resume your driving. Some say you shouldn't use 4H over 60mph, meh... just don't use it on dry roads, and avoid tight turns. Don't touch the **** if you're stuck and your tires are still spinning, it makes a nasty noise and then your 4x4 is broken... ask me how I know
4L is really meant for "I shouldn't have got my ***** down here" type of situations. you have to be in neutral to engage it, but given your apparent knowledge of how 4x4 works, I dont think you'll ever need it I say that in a good way, 4L is really only for serious offroad, when you get stuck bad, or to pull someone out of a ditch.
in 4L your engine will rev like crazy, yet you'll be going really slow... like 10mph at 5k rpms. I dont know what max speed is in 4L, but if you need it, you wont be driving real fast anyway...

Last edited by 130428; 02-13-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by ecopat
dont know about the parking brake...
4H, you can use it at any speeds. either put it in 4H before you start moving, or if you're driving, let off the gas, turn the ****, give it a second or 2 for the transfer case to engage, and resume your driving. Some say you shouldn't use 4H over 60mph, meh... just don't use it on dry roads, and avoid tight turns. Don't touch the **** if you're stuck and your tires are still spinning, it makes a nasty noise and then your 4x4 is broken... ask me how I know
4L is really meant for "I shouldn't have got my ***** down here" type of situations. you have to be in neutral to engage it, but given your apparent knowledge of how 4x4 works, I dont think you'll ever need it I say that in a good way, 4L is really only for serious offroad, when you get stuck bad, or to pull someone out of a ditch.
in 4L your engine will rev like crazy, yet you'll be going really slow... like 10mph at 5k rpms. I dont know what max speed is in 4L, but if you need it, you wont be driving real fast anyway...
thanks. its fun learning about your truck.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (02-13-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 209 Likes on 131 Posts

Just got my 2015 F150 XL 4x4 today and drove it home for the first time. She is pretty. But this is one of many questions I'm going to have with the truck.

<I>Brake isn't auto. You will need to engage via the much hated step pedal. But then this isn't a sports car so i guess it's best there lol</I>

My driveway is pretty steep and Im worried it might roll back. I drove it to the top of the driveway put it in park and it seem stay put but I just want to be sure.
<I>should always use parking brakes when on a steep incline</I>

When the saleperson went over the controls with me he told me to engage 4H around 50 mph and to use 4L to stop, put in neutral and engage 4L.
<I>Slap the sales guy next time you see him. Engage 4H around 50mph while moving??? No no no!!! Especially on pavement hell no. As for 4L, 4L is meant for slow crawling over rough terrain where you need more torque to get up a steep rocky hill or going over some obstacles like a small fallen tree. I say small because you need underside clearance else BANG!!! Lol</I>

2. What if I slow down in 4H , will it hurt the truck? WHats the max speed at 4L?
<I>4H can be used pretty much any speed when on off road but NEVER EVER on the pavement. Some say yes on wet streets. I say hell no. There's still enough traction to cause binding especially when you make turns. I wouldn't even use it on snowy streets because there could be sections of non icy roads. 4L max speed should be like 20mph or so I think. If you need to go faster than 10mph I suggest stopping the truck and popping it in 4H or 4A if you have it</I>

3. Can I transition from 4L to 4H while the trucks moving? <I>The truck will tell you no by exploding the transfer case... Jk but no. There will be a warning telling you to put the truck in neutral.</I>

<I>I still suggest against driving on any pavement in any situation in 4H. You will need to turn and the dry pavement is bad bad bad for the 4H.</I>

<I>Only if you like a potentially broken truck</I>

Thanks

Last edited by DallasTXF150; 02-14-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:35 AM

Keep in mind the primary thing when in 4x4 mode. Don't cause binding and the driveline will treat you kindly for the rest of your ownership of the truck. Ford won't warranty if you break it by your own fault.

Also, binding will be worse the faster you go. That's why people say don't go over certain speeds. But if you're on muddy terrain that's not a problem cuz the tires will spin pretty freely. But on dry dirt roads if you don't need 4x4 I'd pop it back into 2H just to be safe especially if you're gonna drive faster than 20-30mph for long periods of time (like a dirt country road that's not wet).
Old 02-14-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by DallasTXF150

<I>Brake isn't auto. You will need to engage via the much hated step pedal. But then this isn't a sports car so i guess it's best there lol</I>

<I>should always use parking brakes when on a steep incline</I>

<I>Slap the sales guy next time you see him. Engage 4H around 50mph while moving??? No no no!!! Especially on pavement hell no. As for 4L, 4L is meant for slow crawling over rough terrain where you need more torque to get up a steep rocky hill or going over some obstacles like a small fallen tree. I say small because you need underside clearance else BANG!!! Lol</I>

<I>4H can be used pretty much any speed when on off road but NEVER EVER on the pavement. Some say yes on wet streets. I say hell no. There's still enough traction to cause binding especially when you make turns. I wouldn't even use it on snowy streets because there could be sections of non icy roads. 4L max speed should be like 20mph or so I think. If you need to go faster than 10mph I suggest stopping the truck and popping it in 4H or 4A if you have it</I>

3. Can I transition from 4L to 4H while the trucks moving? <I>The truck will tell you no by exploding the transfer case... Jk but no. There will be a warning telling you to put the truck in neutral.</I>

<I>I still suggest against driving on any pavement in any situation in 4H. You will need to turn and the dry pavement is bad bad bad for the 4H.</I>

<I>Only if you like a potentially broken truck</I>

Thanks
So to engage 4H I have to stop first then turn the dial? Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by denimtouch
So to engage 4H I have to stop first then turn the dial? Thanks
Not 4H but I wouldn't change it while going 50mph. That's asking for trouble. You could change it on the fly going slower speeds though

4L you need to stop and be in neutral. The reason is it's a slow speed gearing and you don't want to be in a high speed when changing into it. Maybe detonate something into a thousand pieces or at the very least make something into two pieces that you want to remain in one piece.

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by DallasTXF150
Not 4H but I wouldn't change it while going 50mph. That's asking for trouble. You could change it on the fly going slower speeds though

4L you need to stop and be in neutral. The reason is it's a slow speed gearing and you don't want to be in a high speed when changing into it. Maybe detonate something into a thousand pieces or at the very least make something into two pieces that you want to remain in one piece.
thanks those advises are going to be helpful
Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You alwayz have 4a to use
Old 02-14-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zikaprevail
You alwayz have 4a to use
Lol

Quick Reply: Questions - Electronic parking brake, 4H 4L