Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the oil experts

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts
Default Question for the oil experts

The recent discussion (arguments) surrounding oil certification has me looking. Just got back from Summit and I see than none of the upscale oil brand race oils have the round label that we see on most oil with ratings, but they do list what ratings they meet, just without the round label (same as Amsoil). This would include Redline, Royal Purple, Lucas and others. I also noticed that my Mobile 1 Racing 4T oil lacks the round label, but my normal Mobile 1 has it.

What is the significance of the round label vs just stating what specs or ratings the oil meets? I'm really curious as I haven't seen one race oil with the label.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 416 Likes on 229 Posts

Oil is a lubricant
Old 07-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,360 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta
The recent discussion (arguments) surrounding oil certification has me looking. Just got back from Summit and I see than none of the upscale oil brand race oils have the round label that we see on most oil with ratings, but they do list what ratings they meet, just without the round label (same as Amsoil). This would include Redline, Royal Purple, Lucas and others. I also noticed that my Mobile 1 Racing 4T oil lacks the round label, but my normal Mobile 1 has it.

What is the significance of the round label vs just stating what specs or ratings the oil meets? I'm really curious as I haven't seen one race oil with the label.
I believe that means the oil has been API certified to meet a specific oil rating - SN for example. If the oil doesn't have that emblem it hasn't been API certified

Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Received 4,777 Likes on 2,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta

What race oil and what specs or ratings specifically are you asking about? Exact wording or pic of the label on said oil?
Old 07-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

The API certified logo means that the oil company has met the API's requirements for displaying that logo. https://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Ce...ev8_FM-002.pdf

If they claim to meet the requirements but don't have the logo displayed, I'd think it safe to assume they don't meet the requirements outlined in that document. It's up to you to guess which part of the licensing program they aren't willing to follow (or to prove that they're following).
Old 07-08-2019, 02:23 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

That round label is the API certification. And you WANT that. It's all about avoiding warranty disputes if you happen to have an engine issue, which is likely with these trucks, especially with 5.0s. That certification needs an oil rating of SN or better (M1 is SN Plus, at least the 0/30 I use). In addition, you also want your oil to have the appropriate Ford certification, which again, M1 0/30 does. You also want to always use OEM oil filters, for the same reason. And neve exceed the recommended oil change interval, which renders using those 'superior' oils claiming 15K-mile intervals, irrelevant. That way, if you need engine work, you'd never have to deal with warranty denials due to using unapproved fluids or anything else. I use 0/30 because it lubricates quicker than 5/30 at start-up (regardless of temperature), and it's fully approved too, so no drawbacks. But either one is fine. Bottom line is in this litigious country, you better protect yourself. And in this case, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, since M1 (and other approved oils) is an excellent and proven oil, so no need to look for trouble elsewhere. It's like people thinking a K&N racing filter is better than stock because it's more expensive. It's NOT. But it's your call, of course . Hope this helps.

Last edited by elptxjc; 07-08-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Size Matters

Originally Posted by elptxjc
That round label is the API certification. And you WANT that. It's all about avoiding warranty disputes if you happen to have an engine issue, which is likely with these trucks, especially with 5.0s. That certification needs an oil rating of SN or better (M1 is SN Plus, at least the 0/30 I use). In addition, you also want your oil to have the appropriate Ford certification, which again, M1 0/30 does. You also want to always use OEM oil filters, for the same reason. And neve exceed the recommended oil change interval, which renders using those 'superior' oils claiming 15K-mile intervals, irrelevant. That way, if you need engine work, you'd never have to deal with warranty denials due to using unapproved fluids or anything else. I use 0/30 because it lubricates quicker than 5/30 at start-up (regardless of temperature), and it's fully approved too, so no drawbacks. But either one is fine. Bottom line is in this litigious country, you better protect yourself. And in this case, there's no need to reinvent the wheel, since M1 (and other approved oils) is an excellent and proven oil, so no need to look for trouble elsewhere. It's like people thinking a K&N racing filter is better than stock because it's more expensive. It's NOT. But it's your call, of course . Hope this helps.
It's important to note the specification for engine oil changed in 2018. The Pre-2018 spec was A (SN) and in 2018 the spec has changed to B1 which is now SN Plus:

5W-30 Full Synthetic

5W-20 Full Synthetic

5W-20 Synthetic Blend

5W-30 Synthetic Blend

Last edited by tmcolegr; 07-08-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
It's important to note the specification for engine oil changed in 2018. The Pre-2018 spec was A (SN) and in 2018 the spec has changed to B1 which is now SN Plus:
More precisely, changed during 2018 for the 5.0L. My early 2018 5.0L specs the "A" oil. I trust/hope that the change means the "B1" is formally back-spec'd for use where "A" was the original spec.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:55 PM
Size Matters

Originally Posted by doyall
More precisely, changed during 2018 for the 5.0L. My early 2018 5.0L specs the "A" oil. I trust/hope that the change means the "B1" is formally back-spec'd for use where "A" was the original spec.
Ford went back and revised their spec for all 2018s to B1 (SN Plus).

Yes B1 (SN Plus) is backward compatible where A (SN) was specified

Last edited by tmcolegr; 07-08-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:21 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

Pic from the Mobil 1 race oil. I guess I'm wondering if the race oils (and Amsoil) maybe have additives that are not allowed in an "API Certified" oil. Mobil certainly has the quality and money to have the label otherwise. Second thing I'm speculating on is whether Amsoil or other race oils lacking this label is in any way a negative, but maybe a positive that is non approved for road going cars.

Quick Reply: Question for the oil experts