Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible traction control issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Possible traction control issue?

I've noticed this a few times since I've had my truck. This morning roads where wet and just barely above freezing, so a little slippery (not icy, just wet slippery). Pulling away from a stop light on a slight incline, rear wheels started spinning. I had to let off the gas to gain traction and pull away. From what I could tell, traction control did not kick in and I noticed no traction control light flashing on the dash. I've noticed this behaviour in other similar situations in the past. Is traction control not supposed to engage in these situations to prevent the wheel spin and gain traction without having to let off the throttle significantly as I had to? Yes, TC was turned on at the time. I'm wondering if I have a problem with my TC system? There have been other times when I did notice TC kicking in and the light flashing on the dash, but even in these situations it seemed to kick in a little late and not enough.

How is everyone else's traction control working in these situations?
Old 11-18-2016, 09:38 AM
邱吉姆

Received 232 Likes on 159 Posts

I haven't used in on my F150 but on my sequoia, yes, it would reduce power and not let a wheel spin.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:40 AM

That is my experience with TC on other vehicles as well. And don't get me wrong, the TC on my truck does kick in at times, so it does work, at least partially. However in this mornings situation (spinning wheels at stoplight until I let off the gas), TC did not kick in at all, and imo it should have. And it's something I've noticed before, so thinking I may have some sort of issue...
Old 11-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

I had the same questions about my 2011, and now my 2015... basically, it looks like TC doesn't kick in unless the steering wheel is turned X degrees off center. In a straight line, it'll let you spin.

I assume it has to do with the 4WD system and typical off-road driving.

-John
Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 AM

Interesting, not what I would have expected from a TC system. Where did you learn this information?
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by freerider11
Interesting, not what I would have expected from a TC system. Where did you learn this information?

Just my experience. I *assume* I'm correct, but I'm no mechanic, just drove around in the snow a fair amount in my trucks.

If I went into a parking lot and goosed the throttle, the rear spun and no light until the rear got askew pretty good, or if I turned the steering wheel left or right and then goosed it.

Looks like our trucks allow a lot more slip angle before interfering, as compared to the TC in cars.

-John
Old 11-18-2016, 10:09 AM

Ok. That is pretty consistent with what I've experienced as well. I guess normal then and I don't have a problem. Which is good... I think.

Thanks for confirming.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by freerider11
Ok. That is pretty consistent with what I've experienced as well. I guess normal then and I don't have a problem. Which is good... I think.

Thanks for confirming.

No problem!

The only time I've slid in the 2 trucks I've had since 2011, was last winter with a half inch of ice. Other than that, I can't remember sliding anywhere.

-John
Old 11-18-2016, 10:53 AM
邱吉姆

Received 232 Likes on 159 Posts

Seems normal, I just spun my tires trying to cross alcoa hwy (nicknamed "I'll kill ya hwy") from a left turn, no power reduction. Might also be a smarter program taking into consideration throttle angle. One thing I hated about the Sequoia was reduced power when a tire spun while trying to pull into traffic.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by jd50i
Seems normal, I just spun my tires trying to cross alcoa hwy (nicknamed "I'll kill ya hwy") from a left turn, no power reduction. Might also be a smarter program taking into consideration throttle angle. One thing I hated about the Sequoia was reduced power when a tire spun while trying to pull into traffic.

Haha, I did the same thing in my 2011 Lariat with older Pirelli Scorpion tires on it ... I made a left out of a golf course, on a nice, sunny, dry day, and gave it too much throttle. The truck spun until I was almost perpendicular to the road!

-John