Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Retractable Box Step Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Retractable Box Step Question

Hello all,

I recently purchased my new-to-me 2018 F-150 Lariat 5.0Lwith 5.5’ bed (which is a step up from my ‘07 Sport Trac 4.6L). With only 17,469 miles and 1 previous owner, it still looks like brand new, inside and out.

That said, I was looking around at the available accessories and add-on options and ran across the retractable box side steps offered by Ford. I determined these to be “must have” for use with the Diamondback HD tonneau cover that I’m purchasing. I lucked up and found a pair of them about an hour away for $150, but the guy that had them wasn’t sure about the mounting hardware. I searched the Tasca Parts website that contains parts diagrams with callouts for almost every part, nut, and bolt on any Ford vehicle, but the mounting hardware is, oddly, not listed separately so as to be able to determine what size or part # it is. I then called a family friend that runs the parts department at the Ford dealer I have any work done at and he also could not find any information on what the specific mounting hardware for the steps is. He said he suspected that it was the same as some of the running board hardware, but no firm answer. Finally, as ALL of Ford’s hardware is available separately and searchable by VIN, I even went so far as to search the hardware section of the Ford website and looked at maybe 15-20 pages worth of hardware specific to my VIN without being able to make a determination as to the correct items.

That brings me to my question: does anyone know what the bolt size/thread pitch is for mounting these steps? Since the steps are still assembled onto the brackets, I don’t need that hardware, just the clip nuts and corresponding bolts, 3 per side. I managed to locate a couple of decent photos online and have circled what I believe to be the correct hardware needed. I would be VERY appreciative if anyone can tell me what the hardware is. Bonus points if you know the Ford part numbers for it. See attached photos for clarification of about what it is that I’m inquiring.

Example of step and bracket disassembled.

Complete set of hardware. I think I only need the items circled.
The following users liked this post:
Taggart (09-10-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 10:06 AM

Received 860 Likes on 507 Posts

In another thread from 2016, I doubt the hardware has changed for newer model years since that was posted...

"Bolts which mount the step brackets to the main frame are M10 x 26mm long and have a captured flat washer. These bolts thread into the U-nuts msu50000. If your not going to use OEM hardware, I would suggest M10 x 30mm bolts with a heavy duty flat washer - grade 5 minimum."
Old 09-09-2023, 11:04 AM

Received 188 Likes on 76 Posts

I used instructions posted by @tmcolegr in thread below. Bought OEM bolts and u-nuts that were pricy ($40+) but correct.

Instructions for mounting Ford oem box side steps? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Old 09-09-2023, 12:02 PM
2018xlt, 3.5, 302a, 6.5

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

I used U clips grade 5 with grade 8 bolts, over kill but the bolts were on hand.

Menards also carries them. Much cheaper then the dealer

Regular size no need for long style. With the corresponding bolt, found at ACE HARDWARE

Top bolt is the short clip and the bottom is the long clip

Last edited by OTTO[AL]; 09-09-2023 at 12:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gwise06 (09-09-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 01:36 PM

Which thread? I found another with the instructions for the box side steps, but reading through it, I saw nothing about the hardware used.

I suppose I should've mentioned that I had found the mounting instructions on that thread and downloaded and read through them, but no information on specific fasteners was given, thus the reason for my posted question. I went back an re-read those instructions again and it does give the head sizes for the hardware, albeit through the list of required sockets - 13MM and 15MM. The 3 that mount the bracket to the frame have 13MM heads. ANSI/ISO standards for fasteners show 13MM heads are M8 bolts, at least generally. While it's certainly possible that custom sizes can be made, I doubt seriously that a smaller head size for a larger thread diameter would be made for for this specific application, or for any unless it was some very special circumstance in which the bolt head isn't really doing anything other than serving as a place to spin or hold said bolt and not for structural integrity. That said, I do concur that M10 bolts are the correct ones for mounting the steps to the brackets.

With that information in mind and the photos I found, I went back and looked at the hardware section on FordParts.com again. I'm fairly certain the clip nuts are Ford #W718396-S439. The same nut is also used to mount the rear bumper brackets. Based on the photos, I think that this is also a crimp lock nut, but don't know for sure. I now need to figure out which bolts are the correct ones. Once I've had my best guess, I'm gonna order the parts and, if correct, follow up with a post. If anyone is able to post the part numbers definitively before I figure it out, I'd still love to hear from you.
Old 09-10-2023, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by OTTO[AL]
I used U clips grade 5 with grade 8 bolts, over kill but the bolts were on hand.

Menards also carries them. Much cheaper then the dealer
I see you used 3/8" fasteners. TBH, I considered just going to Ace and doing the same thing, but, as I said in my other reply, I kinda think they are crimp or Stover style lock nuts, possibly flanged, with a clip holder to avoid having to hold them with a wrench or something. I'm not sure that a regular clip nut has the same strength, but I don't know enough about the strength of the various clip nuts to say definitively.
Old 09-10-2023, 04:41 PM

Received 188 Likes on 76 Posts

I researched and read multiple threads before I installed used OEM retractable steps on my truck. I purchased OEM hardware from this thread
Bed side steps - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Don't remember which bolt # I used but looks like either will work.

-W711311-S439, W711311S439: Part Description: Bolt: Other Names: Upper Insulator Upper Bolt: Manufacturer Note: M10 X 25MM or -W506433-S439, W506433S439: Part Description: Bolt: Manufacturer Note: M10 X 25MM :

-W707369-S439 Positions: Left, Right Other Names: Mount Retainer, Running Board Nut, Nut Spring Description: 5.5 foot box, side step.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:22 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased these from a guy who had taken them off of his truck. I love them. Look good on my Platinum. I do not recall whether he had the old bolts or I didn’t need them. Maybe they were already under my truck. Don’t remember now. They were nothing to install. Good find for you and good luck getting them installed. My truck is a 4X4 and I’m only 5’10” so they come in handy.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:57 PM
2018xlt, 3.5, 302a, 6.5

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by NewRiver400
I see you used 3/8" fasteners. TBH, I considered just going to Ace and doing the same thing, but, as I said in my other reply, I kinda think they are crimp or Stover style lock nuts, possibly flanged, with a clip holder to avoid having to hold them with a wrench or something. I'm not sure that a regular clip nut has the same strength, but I don't know enough about the strength of the various clip nuts to say definitively.

These are extruded u clips, they lock into place and stay while you drive the bolt. you will end up paying 4x the amount from the dealer for the same hardware "albeit smaller in size" ( possibly ), as opposed to menards, ace hardware, even homedepot.

i weigh above 260 and i wondered about the strength aswell. I pulled out the step and bounced on it several times. They do make hardened extruded u clips... but they are more money and overkill. Goldish color.

On the frame ... the blue and red circles mirror each other, the clips slide in and snap in. The extruded/threaded part is not loose once in and act as a washer aswel to clamp onto the surrounding metal. Nothing rattles, loose, etc.

Last edited by OTTO[AL]; 09-10-2023 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM Retractable Box Step Question