Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Map Voice Commands after Sync 3.0 Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Map Voice Commands after Sync 3.0 Map Update

I'm helping my older neighbor install the newest map version for his 2018 F150. We had successfully updated Sync itself to the current version (3.0 build 20204) a few days earlier (this seemed to fix a bluetooth issue he had) and wanted to finish with the maps.
Everything was installing as it should and we left for a bit, however when I returned to the truck all the screens were dark (he had turned the engine off and left the key on) and were in a battery saving mode. Turning the engine on, the screen no longer showed the updating message (and checking the "About Sync" showed the current map update (NA 1 19)).

Everything seems to work as it should other than map voice commands (it just returns to the home screen after saying "Find an address" or "Find a place"). Other commands i.e. finding fuel prices or calling a contact work as normal. Each cold and dark start of the truck is followed with a message of allowing the installation to continue. Reinstalling the USB drive restarts the APIM, asks if you want to install the update and and choosing either "yes" or "no" brings up the "BGMAP_ERR01" code.

Ford's map installation manual says the possible cause for this error code is "USB stick is still inserted into SYNC after installation is complete" and to "Remove USB and ignition Off/On."
This can't be the case as we still have the issues listed above.

I believe that the installation was interrupted but I have no idea how to restart the installation.
A master reset hasn't helped and only tells you that you should allow the installation to continue.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:09 PM

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarMKIX
I'm helping my older neighbor install the newest map version for his 2018 F150. We had successfully updated Sync itself to the current version (3.0 build 20204) a few days earlier (this seemed to fix a bluetooth issue he had) and wanted to finish with the maps.
Everything was installing as it should and we left for a bit, however when I returned to the truck all the screens were dark (he had turned the engine off and left the key on) and were in a battery saving mode. Turning the engine on, the screen no longer showed the updating message (and checking the "About Sync" showed the current map update (NA 1 19)).

Everything seems to work as it should other than map voice commands (it just returns to the home screen after saying "Find an address" or "Find a place"). Other commands i.e. finding fuel prices or calling a contact work as normal. Each cold and dark start of the truck is followed with a message of allowing the installation to continue. Reinstalling the USB drive restarts the APIM, asks if you want to install the update and and choosing either "yes" or "no" brings up the "BGMAP_ERR01" code.

Ford's map installation manual says the possible cause for this error code is "USB stick is still inserted into SYNC after installation is complete" and to "Remove USB and ignition Off/On."

I believe that the installation was interrupted but I have no idea how to restart the installation.
A master reset hasn't helped and only tells you that you should allow the installation to continue.

Thanks for your help.
Have you tried re-inserting the USB?
Old 05-10-2021, 08:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar issue after a maps update and a Master Reset fixed it for me...

Sync 3.3 119 Map Update Issue - Lost Navigation Voice Commands - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Oh, just reread that you have already tried a Master Reset. Nevermind.

-John

Last edited by RubberSideDown; 05-10-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:47 AM

We did try re-inserting the usb drive multiple times however that would only reboot the APIM/Sync 3 module and bring up the "installation in progress" "do you wish to continue the installation?" messages and answering either yes or no would pop up the "BGMAP_ERR01" code.

After doing some more research it appears user "Acool" has a working solution of overwriting the nav files with much smaller map image (breaking navigation) and installing the maps again. I can't pm him as I'm a new member and I wouldn't know if he would respond anyway.

We ended up taking advice from user "Fischxx1" and installing Sync 3.4.21020 and newest (2.20) maps.
This resolved all the problems we were having. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We ended up taking advice from user "Fischxx1" and installing Sync 3.4.21020 and newest (2.20) maps.
This resolved all the problems we were having. Appreciate the help.
I'm having a similar problem, can you post his advice or a link to it. Thanks
Old 05-11-2021, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by pellotto
I'm having a similar problem, can you post his advice or a link to it. Thanks
Here is what Fischxx1 said.
I used the Syn3 updater, only had one hang up with a PKG_ERR03 while installing Sync 3.4 but it turned out to a be an iffy usb drive.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what Fischxx1 said.
I used the Syn3 updater, only had one hang up with a PKG_ERR03 while installing Sync 3.4 but it turned out to a be an iffy usb drive.
Thanks will give it a try.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Got the answer!

Thanks for your help.
Make sure that all your other USB's are unplugged. I had an Apple (manufacturer) charger plugged in and the installation failed twice with the Ford (manufacturer) 16GB USB drive (even though the system said that the installation completed successfully). Restarted the truck and reinstalled the software, then restarted again. After that, update worked perfectly (following Ford's instructions) and all new features, including voice navigation worked perfectly! Set to exFAT. I have a 2020 F-150 King Ranch 4x4 FX4 3.5L Twin-Turbo Eco-Boost

Last edited by durdye; 09-25-2022 at 04:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Taggart (09-26-2022)
Old 09-26-2022, 02:01 AM
Captain of Industry

Received 1,225 Likes on 819 Posts

Last edited by Taggart; 09-26-2022 at 02:06 AM.

Quick Reply: No Map Voice Commands after Sync 3.0 Map Update