Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No lower valance or chin spoiler (2018 STX)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:08 PM

Received 518 Likes on 283 Posts

Default No lower valance or chin spoiler (2018 STX)

Is there anything to be concerned about regarding road debris striking the lower section of the front end if I don't reinstall the lower valance and chin spoiler? I removed both trim pieces as a part of installing tow hooks, visible in the second picture. I installed tow hooks so the lower pieces wouldn't get destroyed should the truck need to be towed or pulled from the front. I'm not looking to pull anyone out of a ditch in the snow with my 4x2. But, I don't want something critical exposed. The truck isn't lifted or otherwise mechanically modified. The look without those two pieces is growing on me and the only thing left to go black are the wheels. Not sure I'm ready for that just yet. I haven't reinstall the two bumper pads and Ecoboost lower grille, as I decide what to do. Also, I haven't re-secured the foglights as I needed to remove those bolts to access a few of the fasteners holding the lower valance to the underside of the bumper. If there is a thread on this, please let me know. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Doesn't matter!

Received 1,915 Likes on 867 Posts

I don't think it's a protective issue, more aerodynamics and air flow for fuel savings may be. I've had mine off since doing my front end and haven't had any issues, then again I'm 5.0 V8 no intercooler to worry about, yet...lol
Old 02-05-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

I would put the lower valance back on, but leave the chin spoiler off.
The following 2 users liked this post by S.TrooperJD:
HairyForklift (05-30-2021), whoch (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rohada
Is there anything to be concerned about regarding road debris striking the lower section of the front end if I don't reinstall the lower valance and chin spoiler? I removed both trim pieces as a part of installing tow hooks, visible in the second picture. I installed tow hooks so the lower pieces wouldn't get destroyed should the truck need to be towed or pulled from the front. I'm not looking to pull anyone out of a ditch in the snow with my 4x2. But, I don't want something critical exposed. The truck isn't lifted or otherwise mechanically modified. The look without those two pieces is growing on me and the only thing left to go black are the wheels. Not sure I'm ready for that just yet. I haven't reinstall the two bumper pads and Ecoboost lower grille, as I decide what to do. Also, I haven't re-secured the foglights as I needed to remove those bolts to access a few of the fasteners holding the lower valance to the underside of the bumper. If there is a thread on this, please let me know. Thanks for the input.

looks pretty cool. were you able to remove the lower valance and chin spoiler without having to remove the metal bumper?
Old 02-06-2019, 08:18 AM

Received 518 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinthien
were you able to remove the lower valance and chin spoiler without having to remove the metal bumper?
Yes, it took the better part of an afternoon to do so and I was doing it solo. But, I was starting from scratch, not knowing all that would be involved and the tools required. The way I did it, you would have to loosen the trim piece under the headlights so you can get to the two top screws holding the foglight assembly in place on each side. All bolts for those assemblies need to come out so you can move the housings rearward (and at an angle) to access a few of the fasteners below. I thought about a write up, but it is a little much to put into words. I did a write up for a grille emblem swap without removing the grille and that was more words than I thought it would be and it really wasn't complicated. PM me with a phone number and a good time to call and I can at least make you aware of the areas that will be tricky (but, doable), as well as the straight-forward stuff and a few tricks to make it easier. If I had to do it again knowing what I now know, I think I could've done it in 3 hours or so, probably less. I had a lot of stop-go, as I thought through it. Below is a link to a bumper assembly on eBay. I used this to help me determine where the fasteners are located. The yellow tick marks in the pictures of the backside denote where the valance fasteners are located. This was actually pretty helpful in revealing how it all fits together and where I needed to be to take it a part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Ford-F...53.m1438.l2649
Old 02-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by S.TrooperJD
I would put the lower valance back on, but leave the chin spoiler off.
Yep. Makes the most sense to me. I'm thinking about removing my chin spoiler or at least trimming it a bit.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Trimmed mine down last night. Looks so much better!!!

No lower valance or chin spoiler (2018 STX)-nxa3yo2.jpg
Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Trimmed mine, best of both worlds, no ugly holes and it hides the lower a-arms from a distance. It didn't when it was completely off.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone might be able to help me out, but im looking for a lower bumper mesh insert for a 2018 has anyone come across one? i have the SE grille and would like to match that
Old 03-12-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 1,210 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Willice610
someone might be able to help me out, but im looking for a lower bumper mesh insert for a 2018 has anyone come across one? i have the SE grille and would like to match that
I would find a truck with that grill and mesh that you like, send the vin over to tasca and ask for the part number. It can be difficult without a vin due to different variations.

Quick Reply: No lower valance or chin spoiler (2018 STX)