Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default New Windshield

I have a 2016 Ford F-150 Limited and was lucky enough to already have a cracked windshield that will require replacement. I was told that I will need special glass because of lane departure warning but the glass wasn't oem. Has anyone had any noise problems or lane departure issues when going with non-oem glass?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

I had my windshield replaced today with OEM ordered directly through Ford dealer. AutoGlass Plus did the replacement. My rain sensing wipers, collision avoidance and lane departure system do not work. The glass company told me to take it in for service at the dealership. A master technician told me over the phone that he is not sure if recalibration is required. It looks like window replacement may be a more widespread problem as more of them are replaced.

AutoGlass Plus told me the old style windows do not require the wires to be disconnected. They learned that disconnecting the wires caused problems. The new design windows have a wire embedded in the glass so the wires have to be disconnected anytime the windshield is replaced.

Last edited by GMC to Ford; 03-24-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by GMC to Ford
I had my windshield replaced today with OEM ordered directly through Ford dealer. AutoGlass Plus did the replacement. My rain sensing wipers, collision avoidance and lane departure system do not work. The glass company told me to take it in for service at the dealership. A master technician told me over the phone that he is not sure if recalibration is required. It looks like window replacement may be a more widespread problem as more of them are replaced.

AutoGlass Plus told me the old style windows do not require the wires to be disconnected. They learned that disconnecting the wires caused problems. The new design windows have a wire embedded in the glass so the wires have to be disconnected anytime the windshield is replaced.
i had mine replaced and it was an OEM window. Lane departure, auto hi beams etc worked. Didn't need to go to dealer.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Solidred
i had mine replaced and it was an OEM window. Lane departure, auto hi beams etc worked. Didn't need to go to dealer.
I did not know that the auto high beams were part of the sensors too. I will have to check them tonight. AutoGlass sent me to the dealer because they are out of options. The dealer did not seem to know anymore than the glass shop. It could be a bad "new" windshield, but I doubt it. The sensors were removed and replaced after I complained this afternoon. No luck.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my windshield replace (no lane departure) but they had to recalibrate for the rain sensor and auto hi beam. I didn't go for the OEM Soundscreen to save a further $50. Didn't see any difference and my rain sensor and my auto high beam works fine.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

In a broader sense, this is what cars are coming to. Everything is integrated with everything else. I had a '96 Civic (bought new) and wanted a new stereo. Hard from the start because the face was irregular and spread out--like all cars today. Luckily, there was a storage bin below that had the hardpoints to match standard stereos. I installed my bitchen butt stereo down there. But, I had to keep my stock radio installed and connected to power because the remote controls for door locks went through the radio, and keep that remote circuit going through. Otherwise, I'd be unlocking it with key slot like a sucker. And that was small time. Pretty soon, it will oil changes and everything else at the dealer. The automotive industry knows what it's doing for its dealerships.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 AM

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

It's not just the Fords that have the issue with the windshield being replaced. My girlfriend's 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has all the bells and whistles on it (LKA, ACC, auto sense wipers, etc). It was cracked during a hailstorm and it was taken to a body shop to have all the dings removed and the windshield replaced. The windshield was replaced with an OEM windshield and to this day, the auto-sense wipers don't work. She has no delay wipers on it. The rest of it appears to work, but that's the only part that quit working. The Jeep dealers can't figure it out yet and it's been over a year on it. Hopefully we'll get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Good luck to all on getting this working properly. Some do and some don't.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Update after testing my truck in various situations.

1. Automatic high beams still work.
2. Lane departure system does not work
3. Rain sensing wipers do not work
4. Collision avoidance system does not work.

I believe 1 and 2 are directly linked to camera alignment in the rear view mirror housing. I suspect the automatic high beams still work because the camera alignment does not affect its ability to register diffuse light. Number 3 is a sensor glued and wired to the windshield so I do not think camera alignment is the culprit. I cannot find any documentation suggesting that 4 is related to the windshield replacement.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 209 Likes on 169 Posts

The lane departure system is supposed to be re-calibrated (via IDS) each time the mirror assembly is removed from the windshield. That's by the service manual. You may get away with it if removing/installing the same mirror in the same truck on the same windshield mount. But you may not as the "brain" for lane detection is in the mirror housing itself and uplugging it from the truck's power may cause the calibration to be lost.

No calibration for the auto high beams in IDS. In lane departure trucks, it's part of the lane sensing camera. In non lane departure, it's just a light sensor where the lane camera would be in a lane departure equipped truck.

I haven't seen a calibration procedure in IDS for the rain sensing wipers, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I've never gone specifically looking for it.

Collision avoidance isn't part of the windshield other than the HUD displaying on it in the lower corner. It just reflects on the glass so you can see it, nothing special about it or the glass at that point. Collision avoidance is handled by the C-CM (radar module for adaptive cruise) in the front bumper and is calibrated when the adaptive cruise is calibrated via IDS. Windshield replacement should have absolutely no effect on the collision avoidance.

Last edited by Great white; 03-26-2017 at 09:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Great white:
GMC to Ford (03-26-2017), Livoniabob (03-26-2017), TooManyVehicles (03-26-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I've been lucky enough to need a new windshield. I have every option and after the install have had zero issues. Everything works now as it did before. I have done nothing but pick it up and drive it away. My installer has been doing work for the dealership for about 25 years.

I guess my point for posting is that it would be my impression it's all about the installer knowing your truck and how to do it right. He asked very specific questions about my truck before ordering the windshield.