Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default new wheels

before and after

Old 08-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

Interesting. It actually looks pretty good. Now you just need to white out the rest of the chrome.
The following users liked this post:
misternatural (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:45 PM

I've got a grill project going and when it's finished i'll try to sneak in the bumpers (the Mrs. is a tough sell. but she really likes the way the wheels turned out)
Old 08-17-2018, 05:14 PM
PPPPPuppy Power

Received 887 Likes on 653 Posts

I like it. And another vote for the rest of the chrome. Maybe black lug nuts?
misternatural (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo
I like it. And another vote for the rest of the chrome. Maybe black lug nuts?
say Scrappy, that's not a bad idea. i'll photoshop a pic of the chrome ones and see how it stands out.

Last edited by misternatural; 08-17-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

Kinda looks like a toy. In a good way, though. I dig it. Maybe a set of these for the bumpers?
https://www.ecoological.com/bumpershellz.html
Old 08-17-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingofpasadena
Kinda looks like a toy. In a good way, though. I dig it. Maybe a set of these for the bumpers?
https://www.ecoological.com/bumpershellz.html
The bumpershellz are a good idea. But with the chrome bumpers I think the stock wheels look better.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:28 AM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks good. I would think painting the mirror caps would provide a blended look...
misternatural (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 08:50 AM

thanks for the input. i'm sure i'll do the mirror shells, not sure about the bumpers. part of my reason for the wheels is wanting to make my truck more unique and to have it stand out. we all know how popular our F series are and the super increase in the number of crew cabs out there is hard to miss. the Mrs. & me went into Target the other day and when we came out i swear there were 5 white late model crew cabs in the parking lot. now a couple were 4wd with decals, but other than that it was like there was a "litter" of white super crews. i guarantee there won't be another one out there with white rims.
i used to ride Harleys back in the old days (my last bike was 70 model FLH), back when the only connection with lawyers and financial sorts and Harleys was laundering money or working to get you off on a drug or class III weapons violations. back then if you wanted a customized bike you did it yourself. other than paint i did all the mods to that scooter and there wasn't another one like it in the great big old state of Texas. fast forward to today... the wife and i go to Jefferson Texas from time to time to spend the day. most Texans know about Jefferson, quaint old town, lots of history, great restaurants and a very, very popular place for bikers of all sorts. well the day we went there were probably 200 scooters there (98%+ Harleys ). as we were walking down the sidewalk my wife pointed out a retro looking softtail in a turquoise/white paint scheme. she asked if it was a vintage bike. i told her no, and what to look for to determine that it wasn't- just look at the valve cover sweetie it will either be an Evo, a shovel, a pan, or knuckle head, or maybe the rare flathead. she said she really liked the way it looked. well before we went into Auntie Skinner's (the most popular bar/restaurant in town) i pointed out "well, i'm glad you like the way that bike looked because if you look across the street there's two more identical color soft tails that about the only difference was the Conchos on the seats" she said you're right, if the three were parked side by side she wouldn't have known one from the other. now don't get me wrong there's still mods that will make one Harley different (slightly) from one another, but on the whole most riders pick out one of a couple of dozen big twins and at the same time another rider is picking out the same bike at another shop.
now i understand you can make your truck stand out by simply "uglying" it up- break out a glass and replace it with a trash bag and some duct tape, dent a fender or two, and slap some decals on it and you won't have any problems (or will anybody else) knowing your ride when you see it. from the popularity of colored F's- black, reds, blues,etc. it's easy to see that white isn't the "universal" color. but around my neck of the woods there are a whooole lot of oxford white screws, most short beds, many 4wd stripped of decals, with oem rims or one of the unbelievable range of aftermarket rims- black, gun metal, etc., etc.- and some you have to "get up on" to spot the differences. so, although i know it's not everybody's cup of coffee, my truck is now truly "my truck".
one last thing. i looked at probably 30 vendors who stock rims that fit my truck and one thing get popping into my old, addled brain. the complexity of the wheels. all the details, the minute holes, the recesses, the nooks and crannies that frankly would make detailing some of them a nightmare. my "tighty whiteys" are simple and smooth and i'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that i can detail all four before i could half of one of the more "aggressively styled" rims out there.
anyway- thanks for the opinions, i appreciate everyone who checked out the post and took the time to weigh in.
everybody have a great, but safe weekend.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by misternatural
thanks for the input. i'm sure i'll do the mirror shells, not sure about the bumpers. part of my reason for the wheels is wanting to make my truck more unique and to have it stand out. we all know how popular our F series are and the super increase in the number of crew cabs out there is hard to miss. the Mrs. & me went into Target the other day and when we came out i swear there were 5 white late model crew cabs in the parking lot. now a couple were 4wd with decals, but other than that it was like there was a "litter" of white super crews. i guarantee there won't be another one out there with white rims.
i used to ride Harleys back in the old days (my last bike was 70 model FLH), back when the only connection with lawyers and financial sorts and Harleys was laundering money or working to get you off on a drug or class III weapons violations. back then if you wanted a customized bike you did it yourself. other than paint i did all the mods to that scooter and there wasn't another one like it in the great big old state of Texas. fast forward to today... the wife and i go to Jefferson Texas from time to time to spend the day. most Texans know about Jefferson, quaint old town, lots of history, great restaurants and a very, very popular place for bikers of all sorts. well the day we went there were probably 200 scooters there (98%+ Harleys ). as we were walking down the sidewalk my wife pointed out a retro looking softtail in a turquoise/white paint scheme. she asked if it was a vintage bike. i told her no, and what to look for to determine that it wasn't- just look at the valve cover sweetie it will either be an Evo, a shovel, a pan, or knuckle head, or maybe the rare flathead. she said she really liked the way it looked. well before we went into Auntie Skinner's (the most popular bar/restaurant in town) i pointed out "well, i'm glad you like the way that bike looked because if you look across the street there's two more identical color soft tails that about the only difference was the Conchos on the seats" she said you're right, if the three were parked side by side she wouldn't have known one from the other. now don't get me wrong there's still mods that will make one Harley different (slightly) from one another, but on the whole most riders pick out one of a couple of dozen big twins and at the same time another rider is picking out the same bike at another shop.
now i understand you can make your truck stand out by simply "uglying" it up- break out a glass and replace it with a trash bag and some duct tape, dent a fender or two, and slap some decals on it and you won't have any problems (or will anybody else) knowing your ride when you see it. from the popularity of colored F's- black, reds, blues,etc. it's easy to see that white isn't the "universal" color. but around my neck of the woods there are a whooole lot of oxford white screws, most short beds, many 4wd stripped of decals, with oem rims or one of the unbelievable range of aftermarket rims- black, gun metal, etc., etc.- and some you have to "get up on" to spot the differences. so, although i know it's not everybody's cup of coffee, my truck is now truly "my truck".
one last thing. i looked at probably 30 vendors who stock rims that fit my truck and one thing get popping into my old, addled brain. the complexity of the wheels. all the details, the minute holes, the recesses, the nooks and crannies that frankly would make detailing some of them a nightmare. my "tighty whiteys" are simple and smooth and i'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that i can detail all four before i could half of one of the more "aggressively styled" rims out there.
anyway- thanks for the opinions, i appreciate everyone who checked out the post and took the time to weigh in.
everybody have a great, but safe weekend.
I'm with you on the aftermarket wheels. Not only are they a potential nightmare to clean, I think most of them look terrible. I have a set of Special Edition wheels sitting in my carport that are going on mine, and now I'm wondering what they'd look like in white...

Quick Reply: new wheels