Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SYNC Update on ford owner website

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New SYNC Update on ford owner website

I just noticed they released a new SYNC update on the ford owner website. I have the 4.1 inch screen. not sure if it is for all versions but i am downloading it now to see what it does. It doesn't show the change list for this version though.

Looks like it is version 5.11 so i am going from 5.9 to 5.11

FR3T-14D544-AN 5.11

UPDATE!!

WARNING!

The install was kinda flakey.

First of all the ford instructions tell you to format the portable drive as EXFat. but my truck wouldn't recognize the USB flash drive when i formated it in EXFAT. so i formatted a 4GB jump drive in plain old FAT32 and then sync recognized the update.

After i started the truck and chose to "INstall on SYNC" from the menu, the update ran for a while, maybe 10 minutes. Then it stopped and flashed "re-insert USB on the screen". Despite re-inserting it it didn't recognize it. and no other functions would work. So then i thought i was screwed. I shutdown the truck locked the doors so the radio and everything went blank. waited a few minutes got back in an started it back up. When the screen fired up it finished doing the update and started reading the USB drive again. It took another 10 or 15 minutes and then the radio shouted "language set to english" then shouted "your sync system update is complete the system will reboot", "installation complete" showed up on the screen. Then it is done. Be prepared to waste an hour of your life.

Phew.

I still don't what the update contained for changes. LOL Is it worth your time? Who knows!

I don't remember having this many problems with the update process the last time i updated to 5.9.

Last edited by SonicJosh; 02-21-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 709 Likes on 443 Posts

Not for me--Im patiently waiting on V3
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I updated the thread with my instructions on the update "Gotchas"
Old 03-02-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

The only description of the 5.11 update from Ford is "In order to keep pace with the most advanced technology, we are pleased to deliver a new SYNC® software update - available for immediate download". I am guessing that Ford spent tens of thousands of dollars in man hours creating the software changes. They could have spent a few hundred to create something more informative.

I had relatively little trouble. I also used a FAT32 formatted device. The instructions say to use a 32GB thumb drive, but the update is no where close to that size. I used a 16GB thumb drive with no problem. I did have to manually initiate the update process in the SYNC menu because it did not start automatically.

During the update it is difficult to tell if it is doing anything. There is a dialog that indicates the update started but it disappears. The radio still plays and arrow keys will still navigate the SYNC menu up and down. For a long time the only indication I had that anything was happening was the fact that none of the menu selections would do anything. So far I have not noticed any difference from the prior version.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Updated my '15 today with 5.11. Just be sure you have all 3 items on your memory stick. For some reason the first time I dragged items from zipped file to memory stick only two items transferred - folder with change items and only 1 of the 1KB files. 2nd time I attempted transfer with another memory stick all 3 items transferred. Took about 3 mins to download 5.11 to zip file, about 10 -12 mins to drag/transferred to memory stick, and 20 mins for download from memory stick to truck. Be aware - you must resync all cell phones and download call directory, and request texting(it will ask you if you want texting). At least this time a voice informs you when process starts, finish, and reboots. Not a big deal.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Default SiriusXM applink added

I did the update on my base Sync system in my 2016 Ford Focus. As to what it actually does, who knows. I did note.that Ford added an AppLink to SiriusXM. If you have an "All Access" subscription, you can get some additional functionality through your phone. I have a "Select" subscription (for $5/month), and paying extra for this functionality isn't worth it for me...
Old 04-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As i indicated I was able to transfer V5.11 from memory stick to my truck. System indicated upload completed. Next step today was to take memory stick, go to Myford and update my records for Sync so it would indicate I am running V5.11. After 3 attempts, and the system taking about 10 mins to download what was on my memory stick the Myford software will not indicate in my records job finished. Went on line for live chat. After 15 mins was told to use different browser - Internet Explorer. I use Chrome and will not use Internet Explorer - to many virus/junk on that browser. So agent told me no fear - will continue to receive notices of new software. This also happened with wife's 2016 Edge and Sync 3 on last download. Appears Ford needs some work in this area to improve software issue.
However Sync with new V5.11 is working, but at this point do not see any difference in how I use system . I did verify my Sync indicates it is running V5.11
Old 04-23-2018, 06:40 PM

Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by shelbyDog
As i indicated I was able to transfer V5.11 from memory stick to my truck. System indicated upload completed. Next step today was to take memory stick, go to Myford and update my records for Sync so it would indicate I am running V5.11. After 3 attempts, and the system taking about 10 mins to download what was on my memory stick the Myford software will not indicate in my records job finished. Went on line for live chat. After 15 mins was told to use different browser - Internet Explorer. I use Chrome and will not use Internet Explorer - to many virus/junk on that browser. So agent told me no fear - will continue to receive notices of new software. This also happened with wife's 2016 Edge and Sync 3 on last download. Appears Ford needs some work in this area to improve software issue.
However Sync with new V5.11 is working, but at this point do not see any difference in how I use system . I did verify my Sync indicates it is running V5.11
I had the same problem with my '16 Focus on the last Sync update. I still got the notification for the latest one. My update on the Ford Owner website magically worked this time. Go figure...
Old 07-18-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SonicJosh
I just noticed they released a new SYNC update on the ford owner website. I have the 4.1 inch screen. not sure if it is for all versions but i am downloading it now to see what it does. It doesn't show the change list for this version though.

Looks like it is version 5.11 so i am going from 5.9 to 5.11

FR3T-14D544-AN 5.11

UPDATE!!

WARNING!

The install was kinda flakey.

First of all the ford instructions tell you to format the portable drive as EXFat. but my truck wouldn't recognize the USB flash drive when i formated it in EXFAT. so i formatted a 4GB jump drive in plain old FAT32 and then sync recognized the update.

After i started the truck and chose to "INstall on SYNC" from the menu, the update ran for a while, maybe 10 minutes. Then it stopped and flashed "re-insert USB on the screen". Despite re-inserting it it didn't recognize it. and no other functions would work. So then i thought i was screwed. I shutdown the truck locked the doors so the radio and everything went blank. waited a few minutes got back in an started it back up. When the screen fired up it finished doing the update and started reading the USB drive again. It took another 10 or 15 minutes and then the radio shouted "language set to english" then shouted "your sync system update is complete the system will reboot", "installation complete" showed up on the screen. Then it is done. Be prepared to waste an hour of your life.

Phew.

I still don't what the update contained for changes. LOL Is it worth your time? Who knows!

I don't remember having this many problems with the update process the last time i updated to 5.9.
I just updated mine from 5.9 to 5.11 and it went very smooth. I followed the instruction of the website and well as read a few other instructions about how-to. My experience was as follows. I first copied the UNZIPPED files to a USB drive then proceed to connect the USB drive to my F-150, This was done while the truck was already turned on. I clicked on the MENU button and drilled down to the option that lets you "Install to SYNC". As a note I was doing this while I was driving home after work so I could just let it run. As indicated in the the instructions there were a few verbal indications the the UPDATE was progressing. After a few prompts telling me setting language and it was going to reboot it finally said to wait once more before starting to use and then the final prompt on the screen that the installation was complete.I never had to touch or do anything the entire ride home. After the installation was complete I did have to ADD (PAIR) my devices.

Quick Reply: New SYNC Update on ford owner website