Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New performance intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 300 Likes on 127 Posts
Default New performance intercooler

The awesome guys at CV Fabrications sent me their new intercooler for 2.7L and 3.5L F150s. At the time it was a prototype, but now it's on the open market.

I don't have any power adding mods, but for those of you that do, or if you tow a lot, this could be a nice upgrade. Super easy. I did see some real improvements in terms of temperatures after I upgraded.

Full disclosure, I didn't pay for this intercooler, it was given to me for testing and promotion.

It looks good, is all aluminum, and the guys at CVFab were awesome. They do a lot of mustang stuff, but are branching over to the F150 side.

Last edited by A/Ox4; 05-16-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:04 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Does it fit *exactly* in the stock location? I've got a plate on top of mine (literally sits against the plastic "box" with the shutters) for my siren speaker mount. An upgraded IC would be nice, but it can't screw that up.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 AM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Price is good as well. If I didn't have a Full Race I'd be looking into this. Heck, I'm thinking of selling and getting this one but that darn licence plate...
The following users liked this post:
ralphbrascon (12-14-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks nice. I'll have to check it out. Please give us an update after you've driven a thousand miles or more so we see how it holds up.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scott91370
Price is good as well. If I didn't have a Full Race I'd be looking into this. Heck, I'm thinking of selling and getting this one but that darn licence plate...
I mean, technically I'm supposed to have a license plate too. But....
The following 2 users liked this post by A/Ox4:
ralphbrascon (12-14-2019), Scott91370 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by tvsjr
Does it fit *exactly* in the stock location? I've got a plate on top of mine (literally sits against the plastic "box" with the shutters) for my siren speaker mount. An upgraded IC would be nice, but it can't screw that up.
Vertically, it's exactly the same because it reuses the factory rubber grommets for mounting. However there is significantly less space between the IC and the shutters because it's much thicker. I had to remove the little plastic piece that directs air from the lower grille opening to the OEM IC (I briefly show this plastic piece in the video, if that helps.)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by specv510
That looks nice. I'll have to check it out. Please give us an update after you've driven a thousand miles or more so we see how it holds up.
I've probably driven about 2000-3000 miles with it with no issues. I've even installed and removed it twice for testing and video purposes. (In the video if you see bent fins, this is why. Ive manhandled it quite a bit.)

The only two issues I've had were:
1) the plastic piece I removed that closed the gap between the smaller OEM IC and the grille opening. It's no longer needed because of the thicker IC.
2) The included silicone boot could be about 0.5-1 inches longer to get a really secure grip on the IC pipes. I told them about this and they said they would make that change.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:35 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Vertically, it's exactly the same because it reuses the factory rubber grommets for mounting. However there is significantly less space between the IC and the shutters because it's much thicker. I had to remove the little plastic piece that directs air from the lower grille opening to the OEM IC (I briefly show this plastic piece in the video, if that helps.)
Ok, that helps. I'd be tempted to ditch the whole shutter assembly... mine is unplugged as it is. Since it's already partially obscured by my Fab Fours bumper, I don't need any more impediments. Knowing the install can be done entirely from the bottom is good, too... I don't want to take the beastly bumper off.

They need to build a black one and send it to me... the YT video would look cool with all the flashing red/blue lights
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by A/Ox4
I've probably driven about 2000-3000 miles with it with no issues. I've even installed and removed it twice for testing and video purposes. (In the video if you see bent fins, this is why. Ive manhandled it quite a bit.)

The only two issues I've had were:
1) the plastic piece I removed that closed the gap between the smaller OEM IC and the grille opening. It's no longer needed because of the thicker IC.
2) The included silicone boot could be about 0.5-1 inches longer to get a really secure grip on the IC pipes. I told them about this and they said they would make that change.
Just as a note, we've included the notes about the silicone coupler in the design file (for the engineers to review) and routinely implement feedback that comes from customers - you guys are the voice and who we're looking to please, so feel free to reach out and send a PM if you feel we can be serving you guys better!

Old 05-16-2019, 01:45 PM

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cvf-jason
Just as a note, we've included the notes about the silicone coupler in the design file (for the engineers to review) and routinely implement feedback that comes from customers - you guys are the voice and who we're looking to please, so feel free to reach out and send a PM if you feel we can be serving you guys better!

How about a group sale? What kind of deal could you do for 10, say?

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Scott91370 (05-16-2019)

Quick Reply: New performance intercooler