Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, possible new owner, but questions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New member, possible new owner, but questions....

Hey all, never owned a f150, last 4 trucks have been GMC, but I'm really tired of driving the same old truck over and over. The F150's have really caught my eye, problem is I have 0 knowledge when it comes to Ford's side of things. Here is the basics, I am an avid outdoorsman, hunting and fishing, but live in Ohio so not like we have any crazy mountains to climb or crazy offroading. Looking at engines, I really think any of them would be fine from the 2.7 to the 5.0. I don't haul anything other than the occasional 20ft aluminum fishing boat or a trailer with a mower on it. Nothing very far, maybe 75 miles round trip. I really like the xlt package, but get a little confused on what the "sport" model gives you over the "4x4" package, over the fx4. I'm open for any and all help. I've looked through quite a few threads on here and you all have some really sharp looking trucks. My plan is to pick up a 2017 as the summer comes to an end and sale prices start to pick up. Thanks for all your help...long time lurker first time poster...hahah. Sell me a truck.....
Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 AM

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome. A lot of guys like the 2.7 or the 3.5 Ecoboost for towing. The Sport Package on the XLT gives you a center console shifter and painted bumpers and door handles. There is not any chrome on the Sport packages. You can still get a 4x4 in the Sport package.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

1.) Not towing very much - Take a look at the 2.7 Ecoboost. It has a lot of power, speed, fuel efficiency, and can easily take care of your towing needs. I would however try to get the trailer tow package. This will give you the ability to hitch up a boat, trailer, and likely get you a higher gear ratio which is important for towing and possibly bigger tires. A 3.55 E-locker or 3.73 E-locker is ideal for gear ratio. 3.31 is acceptable too, but not as good as the above.

2.) Make sure you get the trailer tow package. It will come with Backup Trailer Assist which is pretty awesome. Also keep an eye out to see if it has a trailer brake controller. Sometimes this isn't always added with the trailer tow package.

3.) As mentioned above the sport model is purely preference. It will come with color matched bumpers and a center console. I like it alot because I am not a fan of chrome which is the other alternative. I think the chrome models are more likely to have the fold down center seat unless it is upgraded.

4.) The 4x4 package is just a regular 4x4. The FX4 package will add on a skid plate, hill descent control, and electric e-locker gears. I think it is worth the money, but it is generally pretty popular so it might be harder to find with your specific wants as the year goes on.

5.) Other options that I would recommend. The 302A package is highly recommended as it gives you a lot of the creature comforts on the interior such as bigger center screen, heated front seats, better front seats, dimming mirrors, remote start, and many more. The 36 Gallon fuel tank is also an awesome upgrade that isn't easy to add after the fact. BLIS is a cool option in that it gives you heads up if there is cross traffic while you back up or are driving with a car in a lane that is in a blind spot. The tail lights are also LED and just look better than the base taillights. If you like the tail-gate step make sure you get it with the truck as it isn't cost effective to add it after. Don't bother with their spray in bed liner as Linex is far better. Payload package is also nice as well.

You can also keep an eye out for good deals on Lariats, but I didn't go that route due to cost and the only thing I really wanted was the LED headlights (not all Lariats have these, it is another costly upgrade). I figured I could deal with halogen for the time being and upgrade to Anzos with LEDs later. I would highly recommend just getting on Fords website and making some custom builds. Generally they offer good explanations of the options and any gaps in information can easily be found here. Make a list of must haves, a list of maybe can do withouts, and then start talking to dealers when you are ready.

Good luck!

Last edited by wme735; 07-22-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

If you have salt on your roads in the winter, the body colored bumpers may become an issue. My 13 STX had the body colored bumpers that chipped from stones etc, then the salt got in the chips and started the rust process. I made sure my 15 had chrome bumpers, much easier, IMO, to maintain. I have 3:31's in the 15 but would suggest the 3:55's might be a better all around option.
As mentioned above, I would definitely suggest getting the 36 gal tank, gives you a driving distance of 600+ miles between fill up.

Last edited by Fx4gary; 07-22-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Thanks for all the input so far. Very helpful site....I think the biggest thing I'm on the fence with is the engine. It's really an ego thing more than anything....the 2.7 I'm sure would be plenty of engine for what my day to day usage has been for the past 10 years, but having the bigger tow capacity is nice just in case....just not sure paying everyday mileage and the upfront cost is worth the maybe 1 time I need the bigger motor. Every truck I've owned has had the v8, but the only person that has noticed was my ego....
Old 07-22-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you drove any with the different engines? Highly recommended to do so, and go with what you are most comfortable. I went from the 5.0 in my 13 to a 3.5eco in my 16. I was always a doubter, until I drove one! It's a whole different animal.
The following users liked this post:
crockett56 (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by platzs
Have you drove any with the different engines? Highly recommended to do so, and go with what you are most comfortable. I went from the 5.0 in my 13 to a 3.5eco in my 16. I was always a doubter, until I drove one! It's a whole different animal.
Agreed. They're all great engines in there own right. I thought I wanted to biggest and baddest engine so I got the 3.5 EB. Actually in 2015 you had to get that or the 5.0 on the Lariats and above. However after seeing all the positivity surrounding the 2.7 (especially fuel economy) that engine seems like the ticket for me. I don't do much towing at all. That damn engine is faster than it has any right to be.

Definitely drive them first!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:48 PM

Haven't driven the 2.7 yet, but pretty excited. Honestly the reaction of my current gmc 5.3 is a dog..the 3.5 felt like I was driving a corvette compared to the 5.3. Think I'm going to see if dealer will let me bring truck home and hook boat up and see how the 2.7 does with it. No point in guessing.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Large Member

Received 709 Likes on 458 Posts

the sport package comes with the color keyed bumpers and special wheels. it's also the only way you can get the console shifter on an XLT. you can get a sport package with the FX4 package. FX4 is the same thing as Z71 on a GMC.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

All good responses to the OP. My only contribution is that for the OP's use case, 3.5 EB is probably not a necessary expense. I'd stick with the 2.7, or 5.0 since you aren't going to be doing a lot of heavy towing.

I love the FX4 for the light offroading (jumping on the trails on our property to hang stands, etc) that I do.

In short, you will love the F150. One thing you didn't mention is safety. The F150 has a 5 star rating.