Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a measurement, ground to top of engine hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Need a measurement, ground to top of engine hood

Before the F150 arrives need to remodel what will be its parking space which means raising the bottom self of the storage at the end of our longest garage.

Currently this shelf sits at 45" in height so I know it need to be raised. Would like to know what height the shelf needs to be to clear the hood of the truck as I need the entire length of the garage to fit the truck.

Could someone measure the approximate height from the ground to the top of the hood at the mid point of the front wheel (or 24 inches from the bumper)?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

About 2' back from the front bumper, mine measures 51". It's an '18 FX4.
The following users liked this post:
imhip2 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by gtrek79
About 2' back from the front bumper, mine measures 51". It's an '18 FX4.
Thanks! If anything an FX4 might be slightly taller so better to err on the side of caution
Old 01-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 158 Likes on 109 Posts

IMO I would back into the garage and have the shelf above the bed. Less damage if something fell off the shelf onto the bed instead of the hood.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Received 1,212 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by S.TrooperJD
IMO I would back into the garage and have the shelf above the bed. Less damage if something fell off the shelf onto the bed instead of the hood.
I tried this with mine but since I have to actually touch my garage wall with the bumper I was seeing micro scratches where the painted rear bumper touched the wall. The front end has the plastic license plate frame that is the only thing that touches so that worked out better for me. I used to back in my Silverado that had more clearance and didn't need to touch the wall and this is a good solution if you can do it.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

2” level on mine, 4x4 ‘16 SCrew, I get 53” about 2’ back.
The following users liked this post:
imhip2 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by S.TrooperJD
I considered this. As this is a middle garage there is a partial cinder block wall to the 3rd garage which has been offset back from other two (by 5 feet outside and then another 5 feet inside the garage) which would not allow me to open the door to get out if backed in. Only way to do this is to park facing forward in the middle garage as its length is 235". Sister to middle garage is only 212" so won't fit there. If it did I would happily back in! 3rd garage is also 235" but has door to house and gets a lot more foot traffic in and out so not practical to park it there.

Knowing I was going the need to park forward within 2 inches of the end is what made me get the tech package with front camera. Needed a Lariat or higher to get power fold mirrors to get it through the garage door! Needed a 5.5 because 6.5 wasn't getting parked inside and would hog two spots in the driveway where kids currently can double up if they are all home.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 860 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by FordGate
I tried this with mine but since I have to actually touch my garage wall with the bumper I was seeing micro scratches where the painted rear bumper touched the wall. The front end has the plastic license plate frame that is the only thing that touches so that worked out better for me. I used to back in my Silverado that had more clearance and didn't need to touch the wall and this is a good solution if you can do it.
Back the truck within a fraction of an inch from the wall, then permanently install a wheel chock on the floor of the garage. Then when you're almost fully backed up to the wall, slowly inch the truck to make contact with the wheel chock, with your bumper almost but not touching the wall.

Or install small rubber bumper strips ("bumperettes") on each side of the bumper so your paint will not have to touch the wall.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 1,212 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorsports One
Back the truck within a fraction of an inch from the wall, then permanently install a wheel chock on the floor of the garage. Then when you're almost fully backed up to the wall, slowly inch the truck to make contact with the wheel chock, with your bumper almost but not touching the wall.

Or install small rubber bumper strips ("bumperettes") on each side of the bumper so your paint will not have to touch the wall.
I literally have to touch the wall I have that little clearance. I also had to remove the handles on my garage doors. The garage door rubber sweep brushes my bumper on the way down. I have to inch up, touch the wall, take my foot off the brake, engage the emergency brake, put it in park. I have NO room for error.

I do the floor chock with my other car but it has 2 feet of space to work with.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by imhip2
Thanks! If anything an FX4 might be slightly taller so better to err on the side of caution
I'm not sure if the fx4 is any different. I think the 4x4 is just a little higher than a 2x4.

Quick Reply: Need a measurement, ground to top of engine hood