Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 2016 F150 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Need 2016 F150 Buying Advice

Hello Everyone:

Been a lot of F150's I've had and posted quite a bit throughout the years in this forum.

I've got my mind on this new 2016 aluminum model and need as much advice from my esteemed forum members as possible.

I have it narrowed to a Lariat model - would be the nicest vehicle I've ever had. And most expensive. So I'm naturally a little nervous.

Some specifics for you all:

1). Should I ask for invoice price and then talk about what rebates I get and if they get me below the posted invoice price? I have my own financing from a local credit union.

2). Age old question, I know - but I've never owned a turbo charged vehicle. If I wanted this motor to last me for 200,000 miles, occasionally pulling an 18 foot fiberglass boat and as a daily driver, which motor would you choose?

3). What are the well known issues and concerns out there regarding the 2016 F150's?

4). Who has used the OEM soft tonneau cover and what do you think? Never have seen them in person.

5). What is the current warranty and does it vary during the year?

6). What time of the year is the best to buy to save the most money?

I certainly appreciate how much I have learned in the past from this forum and hope everyone else has the same experience.

Regards,

JD
Old 05-03-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 274 Likes on 191 Posts

I'll give it a go -

1) I wouldn't settle for anything less than invoice minus rebates. That's a fair, but not extraordinary, deal.

2) Most are going to say to go with the motor that they picked. I have a 5.0, because I wanted the motor I felt would give me the best chance at long-term reliability. I would still recommend it for that reason. All the engines are well within what you're asking them to do.

3) Probably all the same as the 2015s. Door seals, cooled seats, other minor issues. Nothing catastrophic that I've heard of.

4) Don't know.

5) 3 years/36k miles full coverage, 5 years/60k powertrain as far as I know.

6) Usually the fall/winter months are the best to buy, as the new models are coming out and dealers need to clear inventory of leftovers.
The following users liked this post:
Jake's Dad (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

-Invoice and Ford rebates at the time is common. Negotiate into the dealers holdback % on the particular vehicle.

-Test drive both ecoboost engines to decide which works for you

-Powertrain warranty is 5 years/ 60k miles

-Usually good time too purchase is end of month.
Jake's Dad (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Also consider Extended Warranty options, I bought the 7 year 100,000 mile option bumper to bumper.
Jake's Dad (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

my $0.02 to your direct query:

Your previous vehicles are both XLT screw's. Depending on the creature comforts you wish on the Lariat, the 501A package has decent accoutrements. A considerable step up ($$) is the 502A. So,

1 - Build your next vehicle on Ford's site. Determine exactly what you want for options and whizbangs. Study the payload and trailering specifications. Armed w/ that spec, go to 3-4 dealers and get their best price. For my vehicle, the highest price was invoice, the lowest, and winner was invoice - $1,600.
2 - Occasional Boat/trailer @ +/- 4,500# & DD: 2.7 w/ trailer package.
3 - no info
4 - no comment
5 - see above comments
6 - see above comments

Last edited by C901; 05-03-2016 at 08:05 PM. Reason: changed model
Jake's Dad (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Do some reading and searching. Best time of year is usually end of year but these truck never sell for close to msrp. All engines are good to great for power and reliability. Agree with above poster-people are very attached/sensitive to their engine choice. So just reliability ... They are all about equal. If you want more torque, a certain sound, mpg etc there are differences. Again a search will reveal more than you can read in an evening.

Don't be worried these are capable and reliable vehicles! You will love it no matter which config you choose

Last edited by zx12-iowa; 05-03-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Jake's Dad (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

August and March are traditionally the best months overall to buy a new vehicle as sales volumes are generally low and rebates are high. Last year models generally start dropping Augustish and don't really change much thru Jan Feb of the following year. Newer models have a price increase Jan- March to make the older ones that are still on the lot look cheaper. Trucks seem to have a higher sales volume in the fall in snow country. Local economic impact also will figure into the equation. ie Canadian sales have been down so prices have dropped in Canuckland, also in Texas probably due to low oil prices. The car manufacturers are churning out vehicles from the factory consistently bar any unforeseen obstacles but the market varies, so they change the rebates based on buyer zip codes. I have been following prices since last July, most peoples perceptions and beliefs about prices are not based on any real data, just internet hearsay that they pass along. See the under invoice thread for lots of data points. YMMV
Jake's Dad (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Dad
Hello Everyone:

Been a lot of F150's I've had and posted quite a bit throughout the years in this forum.

I've got my mind on this new 2016 aluminum model and need as much advice from my esteemed forum members as possible.

I have it narrowed to a Lariat model - would be the nicest vehicle I've ever had. And most expensive. So I'm naturally a little nervous.

Some specifics for you all:

1). Should I ask for invoice price and then talk about what rebates I get and if they get me below the posted invoice price? I have my own financing from a local credit union.

2). Age old question, I know - but I've never owned a turbo charged vehicle. If I wanted this motor to last me for 200,000 miles, occasionally pulling an 18 foot fiberglass boat and as a daily driver, which motor would you choose?

3). What are the well known issues and concerns out there regarding the 2016 F150's?

4). Who has used the OEM soft tonneau cover and what do you think? Never have seen them in person.

5). What is the current warranty and does it vary during the year?

6). What time of the year is the best to buy to save the most money?

I certainly appreciate how much I have learned in the past from this forum and hope everyone else has the same experience.

Regards,

JD
All the comments thus far well said... my 2 cents for you!
1. Not sure dealers are always honest about invoice price etc... but you should get 10K off sticker - no matter what month you buy. If rebates don't warrant that month - tell them to call you when they can do it.. they've sold thousands for 10K or more off MSRP.
2. do your research. all the ford F150 motors are really strong and I think will last long.. probably the V8 is most simplistic and might have fewer issues? But the turbos have also been "torture tested" (look up that video on you tube!) and should also be great. Unless you're towing more than 7K pounds a lot.. the 2.7 would be a great daily driver and occasional towing engine (and save you money at the pump).. if you tow a lot or think you might tow 10K pounds, get the 3.5 or the 5.0..
3. No big issues with these trucks ... and even if you have a few issues, warranty covers.. consumer reports rates these trucks like a lexus with reliability predictions (which is awesome!)
4. I have the backflip G2 cover.. (hard cover).. like it a lot.. wanted a hard cover for a little security and looks
5. warranties don't matter what time of the year... it's 36000 miles or 3 years from sold date.. and 60,000 miles for powertrain.
6. End of month, end of quarter!.. and end of year are best times.. I bought mine last June (end of month and Q2) - 10K off MSRP

Good luck! These are great trucks.. best reliability and in my opinion also the best looking inside and out of any truck on the market!

Jake's Dad (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 PM
Senior Lurker

Received 156 Likes on 110 Posts

I'll try #4 - what I know about it anyway.

I checked out the Ford soft cover at the Dealership when I bought my truck. They are made by Truxedo, the hardware is very similar if not the same as the Truxedo Lo-pro. The only difference that I found is the Ford has a 5 year warranty & the Truxedo Lo-Pro is lifetime. For what it's worth - I can't see ever using the warranty beyond 5 years, but it's there on the Lo-pro.
The Ford has an embossed Ford logo in the middle rear. Which looked more "Factory"
The lowest I found the Ford version online was $422. Ordered the Truxedo Lo-pro for $444 - $25 rebate= 419. The price being almost the same - it was a flip of a coin which one to get. I weighed the Lifetime warranty vs "Ford" logo & choose one.
My last truck had an Access Lorado cover which is a very comparable, high quality cover also, but I decided to try something different & didn't see them priced as low.

Last edited by fordxlt; 05-03-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Jake's Dad (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Tidbits from my sale. I got 11-12k off msrp after hassling. Originally they offered 8k off. The interest rate they originally presented me with was 4%. After making them shop it more they came back with 2%. They whined and complained for two hours but got the deal done
Jake's Dad (05-04-2016)

Quick Reply: Need 2016 F150 Buying Advice