Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Bed Top Cross Bars and Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Bed Top Cross Bars and Bike Rack

The following users liked this post:
fhlh (09-12-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

Awesome setup, could you tell us what components you used? I just got my truck and really don't want to use a hitch rack. How hard is it to remove the racks to open up the bed cover?
Old 08-02-2019, 03:27 PM

Here's what I used to make the crossbars, there are a plethora of options when it comes to bike racks. I got a Thule Freeride on clearance for $80 and should have bought more than one as they're sold out right now. The Swagman Upright is an ok budget rack although it's definitely that, a budget rack.

Thule Guttered Footpack 15cm for...
Amazon Amazon

INNO IN-434A Square Cross Bars...
Amazon Amazon

Thule 542 Artificial Raingutters...
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Tdaniel93; 08-02-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:38 PM

I'll put together a write-up later on how I did it. For whatever reason the one I wrote earlier didn't get included with the photos. Essentially I have a Bak Revolver X2 and had to put together a rack to play nice with the tonneau cover rails.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:04 PM

Now that I've got a little bit of time.

The install was pretty simple. Since the Bak Revolver takes up the inside of the bed rails and there's only a certain amount of room on the rails to mount the artificial gutters. The backing plates that came with the gutters were too wide so I had to use 3/4 inch aluminum bar to make new plates and drill guide holes.

It's important with the F-150 bed to make sure the bracket placement on top of the rails is going to clear the inside of the bed. The inside of the bed walls isn't straight and can get pretty close to where the rails for the tonneau cover are.

From there it's pretty self explanatory how the rack feet and bars mount up. The install isn't perfect as the cover catches the second set of feet towards the cab, it passes with a little coaxing but it's not seemless. I'll likely mount the artifical gutters to 1" square steel tubing so I can run rope through as a spare tie down when the covers rolled up and fix the clearance issues.

It's also important to make sure the bolts have some sort of coating like a polyurethane on them, otherwise you can have corrosion from the touching of dissimilar metals.

I haven't noticed a huge dip in MPG, about 2 MPG at 75 MPH which is perfectly livable to me. I no longer have the issues I had with my Kuat Beta rack where I couldn't open the tailgate, use my backup camera, or use my backup sensors.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdaniel93
Now that I've got a little bit of time.

The install was pretty simple. Since the Bak Revolver takes up the inside of the bed rails and there's only a certain amount of room on the rails to mount the artificial gutters. The backing plates that came with the gutters were too wide so I had to use 3/4 inch aluminum bar to make new plates and drill guide holes.

It's important with the F-150 bed to make sure the bracket placement on top of the rails is going to clear the inside of the bed. The inside of the bed walls isn't straight and can get pretty close to where the rails for the tonneau cover are.

From there it's pretty self explanatory how the rack feet and bars mount up. The install isn't perfect as the cover catches the second set of feet towards the cab, it passes with a little coaxing but it's not seemless. I'll likely mount the artifical gutters to 1" square steel tubing so I can run rope through as a spare tie down when the covers rolled up and fix the clearance issues.

It's also important to make sure the bolts have some sort of coating like a polyurethane on them, otherwise you can have corrosion from the touching of dissimilar metals.

I haven't noticed a huge dip in MPG, about 2 MPG at 75 MPH which is perfectly livable to me. I no longer have the issues I had with my Kuat Beta rack where I couldn't open the tailgate, use my backup camera, or use my backup sensors.
Tdaniel93, did you buy Thule Guttered Footpack 15cm from AmazonUK? AmazonUS doesn't carry it. Any alternative source or different gutters you recommend? Thanks.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by timatoz
Tdaniel93, did you buy Thule Guttered Footpack 15cm from AmazonUK? AmazonUS doesn't carry it. Any alternative source or different gutters you recommend? Thanks.
Ya that's who I bought it through. I believe they make a US version, don't remember the model number though. The European version doesn't. One with locking ***** so I bought a set of Curt looking ***** for like $15.

If you have a bakrevolver I'd recommend getting the even taller version of the foot pack. I got around this by getting longer bolts and mounting them on top of black 1.5" perforated square tubing. It gives you additional tie down spots on top of the bed rails for cargo so it's multifunctional.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdaniel93
Ya that's who I bought it through. I believe they make a US version, don't remember the model number though. The European version doesn't. One with locking ***** so I bought a set of Curt looking ***** for like $15.

If you have a bakrevolver I'd recommend getting the even taller version of the foot pack. I got around this by getting longer bolts and mounting them on top of black 1.5" perforated square tubing. It gives you additional tie down spots on top of the bed rails for cargo so it's multifunctional.
Thanks. If possible, could you post some pictures with the current setup on 1.5" square tubing? I wonder how you mounted the square tubing to the bed.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by timatoz
Thanks. If possible, could you post some pictures with the current setup on 1.5" square tubing? I wonder how you mounted the square tubing to the bed.
I've got the tubing pulled off right now so I can sand and paint it. Just got 3 1/2 inch length 1/4 bolts and ran them through the same holes I drilled to mount the feet originally.

Quick Reply: My Bed Top Cross Bars and Bike Rack