Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MFT Bluetooth with 2 Phones?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Default MFT Bluetooth with 2 Phones?

Ok, I can't seem to get this one figured out. I have a '15 Lariat with MFT. I have 2 phones, my personal cell phone, and my work cell phone. Both have been paired to my truck, with my personal phone set as primary. With both phones in the truck with me, when I make calls through the truck it uses my primary (personal) phone, which is fine. Receiving calls on the primary works fine too. My issue is when I get a call on my work phone, it does not come through the truck, and I need to answer and take the call on the phone itself. Is it not possible to have both phones connected at the same time, and be able to take a call through the truck on whichever phone the call is received on?

I understand that when placing calls it can only use the primary, but I'd think that it should be able to receive calls from either, shouldn't it?

Anybody in a similar situation? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 352 Likes on 245 Posts

You can pair multiple devices, but I believe you can only use one at a time. I know it's not wise to mess with phone settings while driving, but have you tried turning off the bluetooth on the personal phone prior to answering the business call? I believe that's the only way it will work.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Yes. I should have mentioned that if I only have my work phone in the truck with me, or if BT is turned off on the personal phone, then yes the work phone works through the truck no problem.

But, when receiving a call in traffic it's not exactly ideal to fumble to get BT turned off on the personal phone so I can receive the call through the truck on the work phone. Infact, I would probably miss the call before I had time to do it.

I was hoping there's something I'm missing that would allow me to receive a call on either phone through the truck. Guess not?
Old 01-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I know it's a workaround and not the solution you're looking for, but can't you have the calls coming into the work phone get forwarded to your personal phone? I did this long ago, don't remember exactly how but it was a matter of dialing something like *67+the number to forward to... Then *67 to turn it off. I had both of those on speed dial to make it easier.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely a good workaround. But still a pain in the *** having to do that every time I get in/out of the truck with both phones. But I will try this.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:49 AM

Just looked it up. With Bell Canada:

Turning on Call Forwarding

1. Dial *72 (or 1172 on rotary phones).
  2. Listen for three beeps followed by dial tone.
  3. Dial the phone number to which your calls are to be forwarded.
  4. If there's an answer at the number you are forwarding to: Make sure you keep the line open for at least 5 seconds to activate the service. If there is no answer or if you get a busy signal: Wait for 3 seconds, hang up and then repeat steps 1 to 4, one more time, to activate the service.

Turning off Call Forwarding

1. Dial *73 (or 1173 on rotary phones).
  2. Listen for two beeps.
  3. Hang up.

As I said already, bit of a pain in the *** each time, but is a viable workaround if no other solution can be found.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is standard behavior for vehicle Bluetooth. It was the same in my BMW and my wife's Hyundai. Personally, I'm like you and find it very frustrating. I could understand if the primary was already on a call, but if both are available the first one that rings should get answered on the truck. Not how it works though. *sad face*
Old 01-15-2016, 11:21 AM

Agreed, very frustrating. Seems so simple.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Yeah I know it's a bit of a pain. Not so bad if you have a long commute though. Alternitavely you could also get one of those bluetooth speakers that clip on your visor and use that for the work phone. They're pretty cheap nowadays, from $20-$80... Again, just another alternative... Just seach on amazon for "car bluetooth speakerphone" or hit up your local electronics shop.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I believe whatever phone was paired first is the primary phone and will be the one it connects to if more than one phone is paired. If the primary is not in the vehicle but another is it will connect to the next one that was paired, as you found out with only having your work phone with you. There may be a way to change the priority of each device in MFT to make a different one connect if you have two devices paired.

Quick Reply: MFT Bluetooth with 2 Phones?