Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May pull the trigger on a '16 Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Default May pull the trigger on a '16 Platinum

(Warning - this is a 'Should I wait...' questing at its core... But, writing it all down helps work through the decision process.)

Ok, so last year I was really wanting a new truck and was considering a loaded Lariat or Platinum, but had to sell my boat first. Boat didn't sell until this past May, at which point I was just going to wait on a '17, maybe even a Raptor. But, my current truck has dropped ~$5k in value (per KBB) in the last year, plus I've already put >$3500 into it this year in repairs, so I want to move it before losing more on it. At a minimum, I know I'll probably need to put at least $2k into it within the next 2 years. So, the way I see it, between maintenance / repairs and further depreciation, that could be $5-6k that I could be putting towards a new truck.

Now, seems like many dealers are asking a premium for the Raptor (still trying to get a few quotes from the local dealers), but I'm not going to pay over MSRP on it.

Happened to notice one local dealer had a '16 Platinum on the lot set up exactly like I wanted (except for the $995 hard tonneau cover, which he may be willing to work with me on). Seems like Ford is offering 0% financing on the '16s, too. If I wanted, and they make the right offer, I could be in a '16 by the end of the week, with nothing out of pocket.

But...

I'm the type to keep vehicles as long as possible (though I have low miles on them, ~6-8k / yr). As long as it is running well and not rusting out from under me, I could keep this truck 15+ years. Longevity / Reliability is a concern, and I'm wondering if the dual injection system in the new 3.5L Eco might be more reliable in the long run and worth the wait and the premium for a '17. Also, would the new 10-spd tranny be better suited to running a larger tire (34-35"), which I would want to do if I got the standard F150?

So...

Wait for the '17 (in which case, I'll probably just wait for the Raptor prices to stabilize), or buy the '16 now, with no money down (other than my trade in), and maybe trade it in a couple of years for either the Raptor or a newer Platinum after the new drive train has proven itself and shaken out any bugs? (If I go with the '16 with the intent of trading it in, I know I would have to make very good deal in order to minimize loss, but again, that may very well be money that I would've wasted on my current truck anyway...)

Thoughts / comments?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

If long-term reliability is a concern I think it makes sense to get into a '16 over the '17. The old ecoboost is extremely reliable at this phase given the millions upon millions of install base and years in service.

The new ecoboost is a 100% new platform going in for a first time, so is the new 10 speed tranny which is 100% untested. I was in the same boat (although for an XLT not a platinum ) and after thinking about it more decided I didnt want to be the guinea pig for a new engine AND tranny given how many issues are usually found on the first year of new powertrains.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (09-15-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Zeke in SC

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Personally, I think you're overthinking it. If the dealer has the Platinum you want now I'd say get it. The aftermarker tonneau covers are nicer and generally cheaper.

I'm sure you'll hear the "first year worries" over the tweaks to the 3.5 EB and the 10 speed tranny, but I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Even if you assume no problems with the new engine and tranny, truth is you can get good deals on the 16s right now. One more year may be another $3,500 in repairs and $5k less in value. Plus the $8k or so off you can get with current incentives. Seems to me you'd be ahead of the game by about $16k - a significant portion of the truck's cost.
The following users liked this post:
bleda2002 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bleda2002
If long-term reliability is a concern I think it makes sense to get into a '16 over the '17. The old ecoboost is extremely reliable at this phase given the millions upon millions of install base and years in service.
Assume we're talking about the 3.5 since its the most prevalent. They just hit ONE million 3.5 eco F-150s in June of this year and its been available for 5 years.

I'd go for the '16, won't be able to beat the value on a deal for a current year model this late in the year. You can always trade up a few years down the road if something catches your eye.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

If you are going to keep a truck that long, get the one you really want, the raptor. The raptor is gonna hold its value great over the course of its very long life. 10+ years is way too long with a vehicle that wasn't your first choice.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke_in_SC
Personally, I think you're overthinking it. ...
Probably. But I'm not as bad as my brother. He agonizes over the smallest decisions.

Originally Posted by tmilnthorp
Even if you assume no problems with the new engine and tranny, truth is you can get good deals on the 16s right now. One more year may be another $3,500 in repairs and $5k less in value. Plus the $8k or so off you can get with current incentives. Seems to me you'd be ahead of the game by about $16k - a significant portion of the truck's cost.
That's what I'm thinking. I'm going to be spending the money one way or the other. Might as well be on a new truck.

Originally Posted by simo24
Assume we're talking about the 3.5 since its the most prevalent. ... I'd go for the '16, won't be able to beat the value on a deal for a current year model this late in the year. You can always trade up a few years down the road if something catches your eye.
Yes, though if Ford made the Platinum w/ the 2.7, I'd be considering it!

Originally Posted by bachman44
If you are going to keep a truck that long, get the one you really want, the raptor. The raptor is gonna hold its value great over the course of its very long life. 10+ years is way too long with a vehicle that wasn't your first choice.
If it wasn't for the local dealer asking $15k over sticker on the Raptor, I would.

I think I'm going to go back tonight and get serious with the dealer on a deal for the '16. If I don't like it after a couple of years, I'll trade it, and maybe the prices on the Raptors will be a bit more reasonable by then. Maybe by then Ford will have even brought back the Ranger and made a mini-Raptor, which would fit my bill perfectly!

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by simo24
Assume we're talking about the 3.5 since its the most prevalent. They just hit ONE million 3.5 eco F-150s in June of this year and its been available for 5 years.
Except that the original ecoboost architecture sells over 1 million ecoboost engines a year. Its used in a lot of places other than the F150 which is a later comer to the ecoboost party.

As of last year there were over 5 million eco's
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-ec...-million-mark/

Last edited by bleda2002; 09-12-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Get a '16 Platinum/Limited - don't wait for the '17. If you're stuck on Raptor, you'll likely pay all of the MSRP, possibly more. They are FANTASTIC, however. But, if based on your comments, a '16 would suit you best.

You're better than I.. I could not wait over a full year of truck shopping. I would've purchased something by now!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bleda2002
Except that the original ecoboost architecture sells over 1 million ecoboost engines a year. Its used in a lot of places other than the F150 which is a later comer to the ecoboost party.

As of last year there were over 5 million eco's
http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-ec...-million-mark/
Yea but that's all displacements...1.0 up to the 3.5.

Quick Reply: May pull the trigger on a '16 Platinum