Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Rent an Fully Loaded 2016 F150 Platinum S-Crew

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Looking to Rent an Fully Loaded 2016 F150 Platinum S-Crew

Hello Guys,

I'm looking to rent a fully loaded F150m which seemly I can for around $500 for 10 days no miles limit, seems fair, since we will prob put 2-3k on it, through crazy mountains and such, now the rub I can't find one with a tonneau cover.

So question one, is is there a good tonneau cover I can buy for the truck that you would never know it was installed, when I remove it? As that will be critical component for the trip we have planned.

We are also thinking about buying one, but wanted to test / rent one for a longer time frame that is offering to first to make sure it's the right fit for us.

If we love it, we will prob have one built to our specs / desires.

Thanks....
Old 07-25-2016, 12:31 PM
The FORScan Guy

Received 4,909 Likes on 1,991 Posts

Originally Posted by ingenuitor
So question one, is is there a good tonneau cover I can buy for the truck that you would never know it was installed, when I remove it?
Extang Solid Fold 2.0 but it's not cheap
The following users liked this post:
ingenuitor (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Why not just use a tarp and some bungee cords?

The extang trifecta has spring loaded c clamps that allow you to install and remove it in a matter of minutes with no signs of it ever being installed. You can usually find them for about 400 bucks. You could try selling it here on the forum or Craigslist when you're done with it then.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Truxedo Lo Pro QT soft roll up. Installs in about 10 minutes and I haven't had a single issue with mine that I've transferred between 3 trucks in the last 5 years. Cheap too.
The following users liked this post:
ingenuitor (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Sorry to ask a question on your thread, but where are you renting this truck from? I love the idea of a long term test, since my wife and I have been going back and forth on if it would be a good fit for us with 2 kids and a big dog, and a rental F-150 Crew, especially a nicer one like we would look at, would be fantastic to get to test on.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a install video of the extang that was suggested. It shouldn't really be too noticable that you had one installed.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Livnitup
Extang Solid Fold 2.0 but it's not cheap
I wonder how the seal is on that one, but it's an option, we hope to buy one, so we would just keep it for the next truck, but if we go after a prev gen and not the 16 / 17 I wonder if the fit is the same?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by WTF150
Why not just use a tarp and some bungee cords?

The extang trifecta has spring loaded c clamps that allow you to install and remove it in a matter of minutes with no signs of it ever being installed. You can usually find them for about 400 bucks. You could try selling it here on the forum or Craigslist when you're done with it then.
Not sure on the tarp, at 80 MPH highway and crazy rain, that will be an issues for sure, and it will rain, it always rains lol. Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by HCFX2013
Truxedo Lo Pro QT soft roll up. Installs in about 10 minutes and I haven't had a single issue with mine that I've transferred between 3 trucks in the last 5 years. Cheap too.
This is kinda what we would buy as well, I kinda like this idea of having 95% access when rolled all the way up and less leaking issues. I guess the trade off is also less security, a knife and you are in? Thanks
Old 07-25-2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by HCFX2013
Originally Posted by vulnox
Sorry to ask a question on your thread, but where are you renting this truck from? I love the idea of a long term test, since my wife and I have been going back and forth on if it would be a good fit for us with 2 kids and a big dog, and a rental F-150 Crew, especially a nicer one like we would look at, would be fantastic to get to test on.
No problem to ask, we are all here to help, hence why we use the forums before doing anything in the first place, to be educated and understand what you are buying at what trade offs.

So with that being stated, try calling your Local rental car agencies, I found they do not list F150's on most of the sites. The fully loaded versions seems to be all they rent.

We saw a white S-CREW when we drove by a local Budget and said hey that looks like a limited, but then she said no Limited Logo, so I said it must be a Platinum or King Ranch then and it turns that is all they rent for trucks.

Designed for the construction sales reps office, so they are pristine like new in my area, the rep also told me over the phone, so it's really a great way to compare before plunking down 40-50 large.

But the key is you must insist on that model or they may also give you a Chevy / Ram lol.

Plus Costco members get the best deal by far unless you are an AARP member, not there yet, many many years to get to that level of discount.

So we stick to the Costco price.

Best of luck, it seems to be by location on what they have available. We rented an SUV a few years back and after doing so decided it was a no way. So yeah rent one first if you can, I think it is a great idea, and super fair for the costs.

Quick Reply: Looking to Rent an Fully Loaded 2016 F150 Platinum S-Crew