Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying a '15+

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Looking at buying a '15+

I currently drive a 2008 f150 with a 4.6 and have had just about everything go wrong that possibly could. I owned a 2003 that wasn't much better. However, both of these vehicles came from sketchy dealers (probably previously in an auction), with relatively high mileage (120k~). I bought both of these while in college and money was much tighter, so now that I am out and looking for a new truck I am ready to spend the money on a newer one. Any suggestions as far as reliability? 5.0 vs EB? I would guess that the n/a 5.0 would be a little bit better on reliability due to less moving parts, but I could be wrong. I just really don't want to have to wrench on this truck the way I have had to in the past.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-14-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Reliability tends to go hand in hand with simplicity. If I was to rank engines, my list would look like this (1/2 ton only).

1) Toyota 5.7L (nothing fancy but very reliable and thirsty)

2) All the new DI V8's or V6's

3) All the new DI V8's or V6's with cylinder deactivation

The 5.0L or 3.7L eco or 2.7L eco are in the same bucket as far as I'm concerned. Most of the new tech is around making efficient power but that's pretty complex. There are reasons you don't find the eco in super duties or GM's fancy 6.2L in their HDs.

Your sig suggest you like to lift/mod your truck with wheels/tires. The eco will likely tolerate that better with its low end power. Since you're recently out of college, life will be different by the time your power train warranty is up so find a good deal and enjoy the new truck.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a 2015 3.5 Ecoboost Lariat and have put about 44,000 miles on it with zero issues. I love it and am very happy I chose it over the 5.0 V8!
Old 09-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

What I'd be looking for after I researched and knew what I wanted and didn't want as there are many options and configurations

#1 - Low miles
#2 - Service records

Take your time - be picky. There are a lot of trucks out there.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by jb2012
I would guess that the n/a 5.0 would be a little bit better on reliability due to less moving parts, but I could be wrong.
I always find this comment amusing considering the V8 has 2 extra cylinders, pistons with rings, connecting rods, extra valves, extra fuel injectors and so on... the EB's have 2 turbos that have a spinning shaft and a wastegate actuator. Much less moving parts to be precise.

To be honest, in making your choice, you need to first know what you plan to do with the truck. Will you ever tow? If so, how much and how often? How often is important! Do you live at high elevation where turbos will benefit you? Will you even haul anything? If so how much? What's more important to you, good mileage or a loud exhaust? And so on... Then, head to the dealer and test drive the different engines yourself.

Personally, I'm about to hit 100k in my 2015 2.7 EB and have no issues. A couple months ago I had a crankcase pressure sensor fail which was a warranty fix, and that's it. I still tow my 5k lb travel trailer and haven't had issues towing my 7500 lb boat twice a year. Again, it all depends on what you PLAN to do.

BIG NOTE HERE! If you DO plan to buy a travel trailer, go check some out BEFORE you buy your truck! Find out what the LOADED TONGUE WEIGHT is for a TT that you would like to get, and then go make sure you pick a truck that has the right amount of PAYLOAD to tow it. Too many people buy a truck and then find out afterwards when they want to buy a trailer that they can't tow, and then they try to add and remove parts to make it work.
The following users liked this post:
James1980 (09-16-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 600 Likes on 441 Posts

Do not get a 2015, tons of issues/TSB/recalls with 15s, I know, I have one. Get a 16 or 17.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasFording
Do not get a 2015, tons of issues/TSB/recalls with 15s, I know, I have one. Get a 16 or 17.
Many of the same issues exist with the 16's as well. 17's seem to be doing better than the 15-16's from what I can tell. I'd avoid an 18.

In terms of reliability, my opinion is that the 5.0 has been given a reputation of being the most reliable but I would say your bets are just as good with the EcoBoost. You get more power, it's quieter...but doesn't sound as good and doesn't have the linear/smooth power delivery of the 5.0. It comes down to preference.

Key points:
15-16's: Avoid if you can. If you can't, make sure you do your due diligence in looking (and listening) to every vehicle you're interested in. Anything that seems out of the ordinary is. Don't let a salesman or tech tell you otherwise...ticking, tapping, knocking, rattling, vibrations...are not normal...at all.

17's: If you want a 5.0, this year would probably be your best bet. The 3.5 EB and 10 speed were new for the F-150 in 17s...so you're going to get a lot of the same problems found in 18's.

If reliability is your main concern, take a look at Toyotas or Chevy/GMC. No, they're not as good in terms of content but from what I've seen (using various sources) in terms of complaints, their problems per 100 on average are lower.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by gopherman
Many of the same issues exist with the 16's as well. 17's seem to be doing better than the 15-16's from what I can tell. I'd avoid an 18.

In terms of reliability, my opinion is that the 5.0 has been given a reputation of being the most reliable but I would say your bets are just as good with the EcoBoost. You get more power, it's quieter...but doesn't sound as good and doesn't have the linear/smooth power delivery of the 5.0. It comes down to preference.

Key points:
15-16's: Avoid if you can. If you can't, make sure you do your due diligence in looking (and listening) to every vehicle you're interested in. Anything that seems out of the ordinary is. Don't let a salesman or tech tell you otherwise...ticking, tapping, knocking, rattling, vibrations...are not normal...at all.

17's: If you want a 5.0, this year would probably be your best bet. The 3.5 EB and 10 speed were new for the F-150 in 17s...so you're going to get a lot of the same problems found in 18's.

If reliability is your main concern, take a look at Toyotas or Chevy/GMC. No, they're not as good in terms of content but from what I've seen (using various sources) in terms of complaints, their problems per 100 on average are lower.
You're spot on. A late build 16 or 17 is OPs best bet and I would stick with the 5.0 if getting a 17 like you said. The 3.5GTDI itself is good, mine has been great so far. The 6-sp is garbage though, so hopefully the same 6-sp with a 5.0 will be better.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by lariat2015
I have a 2015 3.5 Ecoboost Lariat and have put about 44,000 miles on it with zero issues. I love it and am very happy I chose it over the 5.0 V8!
Originally Posted by idrive
What I'd be looking for after I researched and knew what I wanted and didn't want as there are many options and configurations

#1 - Low miles
#2 - Service records

Take your time - be picky. There are a lot of trucks out there.
Well, here are two '15's w/3.5 eco that have been flawless.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
Well, here are two '15's w/3.5 eco that have been flawless.
I'm sure there are more flawless units than there were defective ones, but my experience was pretty sour since I went thru many, many TSBs/recalls and several were truly fixed, by me, by replacing parts with aftermarket units myself:

1) drift/pull issue with epas
2) cooled seats fiasco
3) frozen door/tailgate latches
4) exploding pretensioners, burns you to a crisp
5) Sync 2 APIM extended warranty
6) 5-4 downshift transmission jerking/clunking
7) transmission jerkin/clunking going from no-load to load condition
8) exacerbated wind noise from the outside protruding into the cabin
9) exploding rear window with heater turned on
10) saggy/crappy leather seat covers
11) adaptive cruise radar with its panic ghost stops
12) I better stop before this thing pisses me off even more...

Still, I like my truck despite the love-hate relationship I have with it. I am convinced I had a lemon but here we are.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying a '15+