Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LED Headlight bulbs

Read through a lot of threads regarding this and have mixed feelings about doing this on my XLT. Seems that most say that the light output is not as good as the stock halogens (which suck too). I was looking at the Marimoto, F150LEDS and the OPT 7 bulbs.

Can anyone who has done this with the above manufacturers verify there thoughts on doing this?

Not going to do a retrofit, not dropping that kind of coin and not interested in HID.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:44 AM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

The LED bulbs wont have the output the stock halogens will - thats how it is.

The only way to get OEM quality output is to get OEM or a retrofit - bulbs are a cheap way of trying, but they will never produce what OE/retro will.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PJC15
Read through a lot of threads regarding this and have mixed feelings about doing this on my XLT. Seems that most say that the light output is not as good as the stock halogens (which suck too). I was looking at the Marimoto, F150LEDS and the OPT 7 bulbs.

Can anyone who has done this with the above manufacturers verify there thoughts on doing this?

Not going to do a retrofit, not dropping that kind of coin and not interested in HID.
I have LED's in my stock XLT halogen housings, I went with xenondepot.com kits. They use Philips diodes and are way better than the cheaper CREE LED kits Ive seen. Last night I compared mine to my buddys truck, hes got HID's and my kit was just as bright but standing 50' in front of the truck his lows would blind you and my led's would not. Hes swapping to LED's now...

Originally Posted by iRub1Out
The LED bulbs wont have the output the stock halogens will - thats how it is.

The only way to get OEM quality output is to get OEM or a retrofit - bulbs are a cheap way of trying, but they will never produce what OE/retro will.
Not true. But tomorrow I will compare mine to OEM KR LED headlights.

FYI, for all members saying you need a projector headlight to run LED's you need to go fly a kite....

LED's are not HID'S!! The HID lights DO scatter light, if you look at a HID light in a stock Halogen housing the whole housing is lit up, because the bulb has a 360° surface area and scatters because of this.

A LED has 2 diodes, and if you look at a LED bulb in a stock Halogen housing it is a white light but it looks identical to a halogen bulb which isnt bright unless you look directly at it at eye level and that it doesnt scatter. I have a true Phillips diode and cant speak for the cheaper CREE LED kits.

I lowered my LED to my stock Halogen level when I installed them. I ended up rasising them back up to the original hight after original instalation and never got a flash by on coming traffic at 6:30pm which is heavey traffic and completely dark. This morning heading to work before the LED install, I was flashed 3 times at 5:00am which there is very few cars on the road...
The following users liked this post:
superflyers (12-20-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

The thing I learned with LEDs is that they are far more sensitive to aiming than haolgen. LED is a more focused beam and when it's "off" it's not good at all. When halogen is "off" it is still pretty ok.

I just put 20w(2500L bulb) in mine and it is brighter after aiming but I'm not sold on it. Out front of the truck is blinding if you're looking at it. It appears waay brighter that the halogens. From inside the cab, not that much difference at all.

I want to try some 40w LEDs that will fit, that is the problem. The dust covers are in the way. I see some people don't run them but I have no idea how water/moisture is not getting in there.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by shore
The thing I learned with LEDs is that they are far more sensitive to aiming than haolgen. LED is a more focused beam and when it's "off" it's not good at all. When halogen is "off" it is still pretty ok.
True, I had this problem when I adjusted my LED's down to stock Halogen height. I moved them back up and its a world of difference.
I just put 20w(2500L bulb) in mine and it is brighter after aiming but I'm not sold on it. Out front of the truck is blinding if you're looking at it. It appears waay brighter that the halogens. From inside the cab, not that much difference at all.

I want to try some 40w LEDs that will fit, that is the problem. The dust covers are in the way. I see some people don't run them but I have no idea how water/moisture is not getting in there.
I seen the cheap kit you ordered in the other thread. I suggest ordering kits from XenonDepot.com, you don't need the canbus for the H11's nor the DRL option for the 9005's. If you would but the better kit first then you will save more money in the long run, seeing you already want a different kit already is proof in it's self. This XenonDepot kit fits behind the factory rubber dust cover.

Last edited by Cold; 12-11-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cold
I seen the cheap kit you ordered in the other thread. I suggest ordering kits from XenonDepot.com, you don't need the canbus for the H11's nor the DRL option for the 9005's. If you would but the better kit first then you will save more money in the long run, seeing you already want a different kit already is proof in it's self. This XenonDepot kit fits behind the factory rubber dust cover.

It's the exact same as the Putco kit, which is not cheap.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:41 AM

It's the exact same as the Putco kit, which is not cheap.
No its not, the Putco uses CREE Diodes and XenonDepots use Phillips Diodes...
Old 12-11-2015, 11:43 AM

I just checked out the Zenondepot H11 and that is literally identical to mine. Specs and and details.

I'm not one to not admit when I'm wrong but if I order these and they are no better than the ones I have, then you have to poop in your hand and rub it in your hair?

that's a joke btw
Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 AM

FWIW< I still think the 2500L is not enough light at all for a LED. It's surely good but that's it.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 AM

I just checked out the Zenondepot H11 and that is literally identical to mine. Specs and and details.

I'm not one to not admit when I'm wrong but if I order these and they are no better than the ones I have, then you have to poop in your hand and rub it in your hair?

that's a joke btw

Putco LED

Clearly states CREE LED...

XenonDepot.com
Clearly states PHILLIPS LED...
The following 2 users liked this post by Cold:
JTaylor (05-17-2016), PJC15 (12-20-2015)

Quick Reply: LED Headlight bulbs