Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latch issues have me second guessing my order

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 AM
Load and Charge

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Latch issues have me second guessing my order

I have a 2018 XLT SCREW on order, but after spending the last couple of days reading this forum, I'm seriously second guessing my plans to follow through with that order. While there are a couple of other minor issues that concern me, the door latch debacle and fords failure to address it is really my biggest concern. The latch issue seems to span multiple model years and almost everyone that complains about it, seems to be getting the run around from Ford.

I have no skin in this game, no deposit and no contracts and as much as I love the IDEA of the truck I ordered, I don't have time to screw around with these recurring issues. So I guess I'm looking for some help from 2018 owners; have they been affected just as much as previous years or is it only earlier builds?

Am I over analyzing this? I totally understand the dynamics of Internet forums and how complaints build, but I'm seriously torn on this.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by PistolWhip
I have a 2018 XLT SCREW on order, but after spending the last couple of days reading this forum, I'm seriously second guessing my plans to follow through with that order. While there are a couple of other minor issues that concern me, the door latch debacle and fords failure to address it is really my biggest concern. The latch issue seems to span multiple model years and almost everyone that complains about it, seems to be getting the run around from Ford.

I have no skin in this game, no deposit and no contracts and as much as I love the IDEA of the truck I ordered, I don't have time to screw around with these recurring issues. So I guess I'm looking for some help from 2018 owners; have they been affected just as much as previous years or is it only earlier builds?

Am I over analyzing this? I totally understand the dynamics of Internet forums and how complaints build, but I'm seriously torn on this.
I think you already have your answer in that Ford has issed a "RECALL" regarding this problem Would they have had to issue that "recall" if it was a very minor problem? I think not as it would have been at most a TSB as opposed to a recall IMO.

Sure there are lots of trucks that haven't had this problem but what does that prove? Obviously Ford knows they have a serious problem and so far do not have a true fix after 4 years. That suggests to me Ford either doesn't know how to fix it or simply doesn't care?

Why spend that kind of money and roll the dice that your new truck won't have this problem? Even when you receive your new truck it's already subject to a recall notice? Makes no sense to me while spending that type of money.

BTW very few if any of us with these trucks have the time to screw about with this BS issue. I haven't experienced it YET but I suspect thats only a matter of time living in New England........ Good luck with your decision...
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 AM
2016 Lariat 5.0

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Not trying to be the voice for any who have had trouble with the door latch issue, but can give you my experience. I have a 2016 Screw that was built in early 2016 which has never given me any door latch related trouble. I live in the Midwest (Kansas City) so we do get below freezing whether, but obviously that could be more or less than what you will see.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Yes, you are over analyzing this. Vehicles have issues. Manufacturers fix issues, sometimes the fix doesn't work as expected. As they develop fixes they change the assembly process for the fix, so a vehicle that has not yet been built gets built with the latest fix.

Ford actually held lots of trucks at dealers (and may still be) awaiting parts to fix this. Is the latest fix adequate? No one knows.

Stop over analyzing and simply await your new truck.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll also throw in that I have a 2016 with 34,000 miles and no issues with freezing door latches down to 0*F.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Lol follow my name you will see a few threads and I am not an isolated nut job.
If you live in an area where you need locks and latches and temps where you 27-28 degrees, good luck! You are playing Russian roulette.

The recall affects how many vehicles? How many people still have issues after the fix? Many many. What is Ford’s solution hmmmm we don’t have one. So far since 2015 Ford has no working solution. You say what? Well if Ford says sorry nothin we can do. Guess what you do then? You sell at loss or live with it. At some point you decide this is a Company you can never do business with.

Drivers door will not lock wtf are you going to do? I know ratchet strap or bungee cord!! How safe do you think that is? When you have to leave vehicle then what do you do? I get it you leave unlocked, imagine some places how safe that is? You leave unlocked pray stuff is their, you pray some bad guy is not waiting for you. There are places you and your family will never be safe without working locks and latches. Imagine not being able to get into or being able to lock or latch door in that environment.

So anyone who says sure go through with order isn’t someone with this problem. If you do follow through with the purchase you are supporting the Ford culture and ethics. This has been a problem since beginning of 2015. I purchased mine July of 2016. Live in Seattle area have yet to have doors and latches that have worked a little below freezing. Last nights temp was 28 degrees would not work.
I have sport with buckets my chronic door failure is the drivers door!!

It will be at dealer again today with or without a loaner. I will try one more attempt next failure sell and sue Ford. Unreal they think in this environment of the Customer centered companies this is acceptabl way to treat Customers’!! People’s head should roll... guess what still not even as much as an official statement from Ford or a working fix, since model year 2015!!

Ask anyone who has had this experience will they buy another Ford.... pretty sure you have the non issue people ok with it, us others no way. Why hmmm it isn’t tough Ford I have many cars that have never failed me my 4x4 is useless in weather I can driver any rear wheel drive car!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:42 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I think that anyone who thinks that any of the automakers handle things differently is sadly mistaken.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by OUMX117
I'll also throw in that I have a 2016 with 34,000 miles and no issues with freezing door latches down to 0*F.
More then proven all of us don’t have!! The recall is real. The trucks with issues are real. The stats are at least 50% of us have issues. Generally speaking no one who has had the issue has got a permanent fix. You know who will own the problem when it happens? You the Customer!!

Now that is a company I would continue to support and buy my vehicles from. Notice they won’t sell you the truck without their best fix. Do you know why? It is a huge safety concern!!
Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by BadBoy4fun_wa
More then proven all of us don’t have!! The recall is real. The trucks with issues are real. The stats are at least 50% of us have issues. Generally speaking no one who has had the issue has got a permanent fix. You know who will own the problem when it happens? You the Customer!!

Now that is a company I would continue to support and buy my vehicles from. Notice they won’t sell you the truck without their best fix. Do you know why? It is a huge safety concern!!
did you know that 79% of all statistics are made up on the fly?

Yes, one could follow your name around and find that you and six other guys claim this is so widespread and everyone else thinks you're trying to make it look like it is more prevalent than it is.

And they won't sell you a truck without the latest fix because they are not legally allowed to sell a truck that has an active recall. Stop acting like they have any say in the matter. Beyond that, why would they want to sell you a truck without the latest fix? That makes zero sense (like every one of your rants that I have read on this subject). The number of people this affects is nowhere near 50% (see, I can make **** up too).

OP, I would not hesitate to buy a new truck. I have had the issue, no one else I know has.
The following 2 users liked this post by 11screw50:
BCMIF150 (02-20-2018), PistolWhip (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 AM

Read the pole here on the site. The real number was about 2/3 of us have issue in cold weather. It isn’t a small sample. My dealer here in WA in heat of original TSB had 20 waiting 3weeks later a few hundred. The recall affects how many vehicles?

Good luck fan boy....

Last edited by BadBoy4fun_wa; 02-20-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Latch issues have me second guessing my order