Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep Your Hands on the Steering Wheel Message

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Keep Your Hands on the Steering Wheel Message

I've got a 2019 F150 Lariat 502A with the lane keeping option. Since picking it up in May I have been getting the message "Keep Your Hands on the Steering Wheel" every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes it's in yellow and sometimes it's in red with an audible chime. At all times I have my hands on the wheel. It usually happens when I'm going above 40mph and in a straight line. I drive with my hands at 10 and 2 about where the larger bulges are on the steering wheel. I've had it in to the dealer twice for this and they can't seem to replicate it and claim I'm the first to have this problem. It only happens when I have the lane keeping feature turned on. Does anyone else have this issue? I've tried searching the forum but haven't found anything. It's very annoying and distracting.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Size Matters

Received 3,361 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Old 10-29-2019, 01:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by orangegopher
I've got a 2019 F150 Lariat 502A with the lane keeping option. Since picking it up in May I have been getting the message "Keep Your Hands on the Steering Wheel" every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes it's in yellow and sometimes it's in red with an audible chime. At all times I have my hands on the wheel. It usually happens when I'm going above 40mph and in a straight line. I drive with my hands at 10 and 2 about where the larger bulges are on the steering wheel. I've had it in to the dealer twice for this and they can't seem to replicate it and claim I'm the first to have this problem. It only happens when I have the lane keeping feature turned on. Does anyone else have this issue? I've tried searching the forum but haven't found anything. It's very annoying and distracting.
From what I understand, that message pops up when the truck thinks that you don't have your hand on the wheel ... BECAUSE .. it doesn't sense any movement of the wheel. So, if you are travelling in a straight line and the truck doesn't need any compensation from your hands to keep it going straight, the message pops up. If you move the wheel any small amount, the message will disappear. If you don't move the wheel, the message changes colour and an audible sound occurs.

I get this quite often as well, but a small movement of the wheel makes it disappear.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: See above ....

Last edited by quantum; 10-29-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: answered already...
Old 10-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,345 Posts

That's so odd, I have had my 2019 for four months now I think, and have seen this message once in all that time. I guess I don't frequently drive for 20+ minutes in a completely straight line, but have taken a couple longer trips and haven't seen it.

Not saying anyone else is doing something wrong, I just wonder if there is something that may not be calibrated properly that makes it more likely to go off. Or maybe if it detects you spend a lot of time near one of the side lines (where your display goes yellow where it shows lane keeping), that it assumes that means lack of input or something.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 257 Likes on 167 Posts

I get that message now and then on my 16' Lariat... ONLY happens on long straight runs, that don't need input for correction (She runs very-very straight with no wandering for me!).

Bottom line... it thinks you don't have your hands on the wheel, because you aren't moving the wheel.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Ford Truck Lover

Received 748 Likes on 457 Posts

Yep, I get it a lot too. I must have a light touch on the wheel. It is annoying. Another reason I am going down to an XLT for my next truck.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 280 Likes on 196 Posts

I literally have to take my hands off to get the message. It'll never do what you're describing. Just FYI.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

There should also be a message telling you to keep your eyes on the road, but apparently you only get that if your truck came with the "Roadhouse Blues" package.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Mine is worse than that. It will prompt in less than a minute on some stretches of road. The truck drives so straight and smooth that I don't need to input anything, and it constantly dings. My last truck never did it because it was always all over the road. I just wish there was a way to increase the time on it so that it doesn't come up so soon. One part of my daily drive, I turn onto a highway, accelerate to 62 with the cruise. It is a straight section of road and in less than a mile since turning, DING keep hands on the wheel. Grumble.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 116 Likes on 66 Posts

My 2019 does it constantly. I just drove it for 5,000+ kms on Interstates and it happens quite often. Sometimes every five minutes, then quiet for 20-30 minutes, then several times in as many minutes. It is a little annoying, but not something that spoils the trip.

Quick Reply: Keep Your Hands on the Steering Wheel Message