Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is this going to cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:04 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Default How much is this going to cost?

A tree trimming company doing work at my neighbor's house dropped part of a tree branch onto the windshield of my truck. Put a nice size hole in it and it spiderwebbed so bad that I can't drive it. I have all their insurance information and have called to confirm that the policy is good but the owner is offering me a good amount of cash to just get it done without insurance. The truck is a Lariat with the rain sensing wipers and forward collision detection. Basically a 502a with the Technology package. What is this windshield going to cost? I want a good replacement too, not some cheap knock-off but the real deal.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Call your dealership. Get a quote in writing from them and give it to the tree company
The following 3 users liked this post by TX3.5to5.0:
rohada (05-02-2019), RubyRedX3 (05-01-2019), Sainte (05-01-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2018 Special Edition with the factory glass/ F150 logo was right at $800 installed. Yours might be more with the technology stuff.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 PM

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by TX3.5to5.0
Call your dealership. Get a quote in writing from them and give it to the tree company
This ^^

If I owned the tree company, I would do the same thing: offer to pay for it & NOT turn it in on my insurance. Quite often, it's just less expensive in the long run to do it that way-he probably knows that he's likely to get HAMMERED by the insurance company for the claim; he may have enough claims that any more & they cancel his insurance.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:41 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

This was exactly a year ago with Safelite. The $250 recal fee was for every tech option available in 2016. It cost more to recal it than to install it.

A Ford OEM windshield, as I specifically requested.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 101 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SurebutterCringe
A tree trimming company doing work at my neighbor's house dropped part of a tree branch onto the windshield of my truck. Put a nice size hole in it and it spiderwebbed so bad that I can't drive it. I have all their insurance information and have called to confirm that the policy is good but the owner is offering me a good amount of cash to just get it done without insurance. The truck is a Lariat with the rain sensing wipers and forward collision detection. Basically a 502a with the Technology package. What is this windshield going to cost? I want a good replacement too, not some cheap knock-off but the real deal.
I have the technology package also. My quote from safelite was approximately $900
That was for OEM glass (soundscreen) it included a $300 adder for recalibrating the front camera for the Lane keeping assist
Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what trims/packages it comes with but if yours is a "soundscreen" windshield (mine is on my Lariat 502a) just make sure your quote/replacement is the same. I don't know or have experience with non-soundscreen windshields so can't testify to the extent of it's benefits but it supposedly helps keep the cabin quieter. I mention this because I didn't even notice the "soundscreen" text/brand until long after I'd been driving the truck.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swordmaster
included a $300 adder for recalibrating the front camera for the Lane keeping assist
this is the big one, I work in the auto industry, "simple" alignments now are a real pain. between re calibrating steering angle sensors and setting up vehicle safety systems.
The alignment course i went to told us that some vw's could take up to 8 hours to re calibrate all the different safety systems. lane departure, brake assist, blind spot, ect.
windshields have come a long way too, before glass manufactures would "push" all the blemishes into the top of the glass or edges, now thats where most camera systems view from. One vw owner went to speedy auto glass for a windshield, had issues with the system, put in a second glass with the same issues. 3rd time went to the dealer, issues resolved. OE glass is crucial if you have any kind of safety system.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

This might work out well for you. I'd get a quote from the dealership, give that to the tree company.

In Florida, comprehensive car insurance covers windshields for free and will not affect your rates.

Do with that information what you will, I'm not sure of any legality of combining those two pieces of information so I assume no blame and recommend you contact a lawyer before doing anything blah blah.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:06 AM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

Both of my cars have pano roofs and all safety crap on the windshield. It cost me about $25 extra to add $0 deductible for all glass. With 2 cars like mine, it was a no-brainer. And yes, I also learned the hard way a new windshield with that crap was $800 (2018 Audi S6), and it wasn't covered (just repairs). I added it after that .

Quick Reply: How much is this going to cost?