Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adjust windshield wiper travel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to adjust windshield wiper travel

I had to replace my windshield and when I got the truck back, the driver's side wiper travels way to far on the up-swing and hit the A-pillar.

Anyone know how to adjust the wiper travel? I checked on youtube and in a general search on here but no luck. Would love any advice if this is an easy DIY.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:20 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Guessing your wiper is now sitting higher at a rest. Flip the wiper arm up, use you finger (or fingernail) to lift the retaining tab at the base of the wiper arm, and as you hold on to the tab, pull straight up. Make your adjustments.
The following users liked this post:
Old Grey Mule (12-22-2018)
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

When the technician (?) removed your windshield, he/she/it also removed your wipers and failed to reattach them to the wiper posts & align the wipers (in your case the driver's side wiper) in the rest position as identified by the (usually) L-shaped wiper park position located in the bottom of the black peripheral windshield surround. Remove the offending wiper from the post and align it with the L-shaped park position in the windshield surround: (1) assuming that the replacement windshield was OEM or equivalent and (2) assuming that the left & right wipers were not interchanged if they are of different lengths.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:44 PM

Received 583 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRedfish
Guessing your wiper is now sitting higher at a rest. Flip the wiper arm up, use you finger (or fingernail) to lift the retaining tab at the base of the wiper arm, and as you hold on to the tab, pull straight up. Make your adjustments.
The attached shows what he is describing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WW Pivot Arm.pdf (213.9 KB, 3966 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by carrierj:
MikeTHIS (07-25-2017), Old Grey Mule (12-22-2018), TexasRedfish (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Received 77 Likes on 55 Posts

Just had my windshield replaced under warranty believe it or not (wasn't noticed until prep) and this was bothering me. Thanks for this info, fixing right now lol
Old 07-25-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are the best! Thank you!

I did replace the windshield with Ford OEM glass and there are two tick marks in the black windshield surround. I was able to line up the driver's side wiper with the tick mark and it now no longer hits the A-pillar on the up-swing. But I cannot line up the passenger wiper with the tick. It either sits way above the tick mark or, if I adjust it down, sits below the bottom of the windshield.

Here are the pics. Can someone confirm if their wiper setup looks the same.

Driver side - pointing at the tick on the windshield

Passenger side - pointing at the tick on the windshield

Front view of both wipers

Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

You should be able to make another adjustment on the passenger. Are you sure you can't go down another notch without hitting the bottom cowl? After your adjustment, turn on the wiper and see where it sets.

Also, my passenger side does sit just a tad higher than the driver. But if I go down just a single notch and its sits a little too low. However, yours has a big gap. So I would assume you should be able to make another adjustment.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That is how my wipers look stock
Old 12-21-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, I just did a post about this yesterday and tried to reset my passenger side wiper position today, and it just will not like up with the mark on the windshield where it should rest to be even with the driver side. Two clicks have it resting over and inch to one side or another.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Worst case, bend the flat metal arm part of the wiper in a bench vise being careful not to twist it.

Quick Reply: How to adjust windshield wiper travel