Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding in 2wd

I have replaced check valve selenoid for use replaced front wheel bearing noise is intermittent goes away if you switch to 4wd I am lost help needed
Old 04-30-2024, 07:21 PM

Received 258 Likes on 136 Posts

So the IWE system works on vacuum as you know and if anything is leaking in the system or damaged you would have an issue. The way I found the issue with my old truck is I bought a hand vacuum pump and tested different areas of the system to figure out what was leaking. I found one of my hubs wouldn't hold vacuum (leaking) and had to replace the hub. If you have a hole in a vacuum line, the same failure would occur. Essentially, see if you can find where the vacuum leak is, and if there isn't any leak, check the vacuum source.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mackey:
dagaz56 (05-01-2024), Home2#7 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 08:07 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 859 Posts

Have you tried the check valve?
Old 05-01-2024, 08:35 AM

Received 1,220 Likes on 764 Posts

It won't hurt a bit to disable the entire vacuum/IWE system it really does nothing at all for you. Ford disables it if you have a problem with the system.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:43 PM

Replaced the check valve and bypassed vacuum so only pulling on the iwes no noise just don’t have 4wd which kinda stinks
Old 05-01-2024, 03:45 PM

This on a 2020 f150 should have said that before
Old 05-01-2024, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dynedog
Replaced the check valve and bypassed vacuum so only pulling on the iwes no noise just don’t have 4wd which kinda stinks
With no vacuum you (can) have 4WD. The default is IWEs engaged. If you remove vacuum they remain engaged. Vacuum releases them from the hubs. Being in AWD or 4WD is still dependent on the transfer case.

As I said above, the IWEs really serve no purpose other than to complicate things.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:24 PM

Received 225 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by FordGate
As I said above, the IWEs really serve no purpose other than to complicate things.
Well now, that's just a wee bit of over-simplification. The IWEs--when operating properly--disconnect the front axle(s) from the rotating wheel hub, so you're not driving the front driveline parts (axles, bearings, ring/pinion gears, front driveshaft and CV joints).

I've seen lots of posts about how it won't hurt the mileage much and I know that the upper trim levels come with the optional TOD transfer case with the 4A setting, but if I don't have to drive all those parts (that are mostly wear items) and rotating mass full time, I'm a lot happier.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by icantdrive55
Well now, that's just a wee bit of over-simplification. The IWEs--when operating properly--disconnect the front axle(s) from the rotating wheel hub, so you're not driving the front driveline parts (axles, bearings, ring/pinion gears, front driveshaft and CV joints).

I've seen lots of posts about how it won't hurt the mileage much and I know that the upper trim levels come with the optional TOD transfer case with the 4A setting, but if I don't have to drive all those parts (that are mostly wear items) and rotating mass full time, I'm a lot happier.
It honestly makes no difference at all. Your argument is what they used to justify this to Ford management when they adopted the system. Doesn't make it not true, it just really doesn't matter at all. Trucks have not had IWEs for most of history and never had issues like we see with the IWE system.

Also realize there is no clutch and no synchronizers in the IWE. This means every time it engages you get wear on the gears. This is every time you drive since it starts engaged and disengages after you start driving (if in 2WD).

And again, Ford disables the system frequently when there are issues with it. The official Ford fix is to disable the system. It isn't needed and provides nothing positive to the truck.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:21 AM

Default Disabling iwe

What is the way ford wants these disabled since I have no 4 A just 4wd and 2wd on my switch

Quick Reply: Grinding in 2wd