Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A great day yesterday....found the rattle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts
Default A great day yesterday....found the rattle

Two things about me:

(1) My hearing isn't the best. At least according to my wife. No one else seems to complain about it.

(2) One thing I can hear no matter what - even with the radio blasting - is a rattle in my vehicle.

So, since about day 2 in my 2017 F150 Lariat ownership life, I have noticed a rattle that I could NOT pinpoint.

I was both irritated and disappointed that such a new vehicle would have a rattle.....begin searching/exploring.

After a month of deliberate searching for the culprit - I FOUND THE OFFENDER yesterday.

My Ray Ban sunglasses in the sunglasses holder.

Don't I feel like a schmuck.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017ExecFx4
Two things about me:

(1) My hearing isn't the best. At least according to my wife. No one else seems to complain about it.

(2) One thing I can hear no matter what - even with the radio blasting - is a rattle in my vehicle.

So, since about day 2 in my 2017 F150 Lariat ownership life, I have noticed a rattle that I could NOT pinpoint.

I was both irritated and disappointed that such a new vehicle would have a rattle.....begin searching/exploring.

After a month of deliberate searching for the culprit - I FOUND THE OFFENDER yesterday.

Don't I feel like a schmuck.
Yea my wife's raybans rattle up there too so I added a thin layer of foam I had left over from something I got shipped to me that I bought online
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM
5.0 DOHC V8

Received 1,587 Likes on 974 Posts

My hearing isn't the best. At least according to my wife. No one else seems to complain about it.
Stop me if you've heard this one...

An old guy was driving along when he gets pulled over by a motorcycle cop. Cop walks up to the guy's window, but before he could say anything the old guy complained, "But, officer, I didn't do anything wrong!".
The cop says, "I only pulled you over because your wife fell out of the car a few blocks back..."
The old man cries out, "Thank God! I thought I was going deaf!"

My 17,000 mile '16 XLT just developed a random-frequency knock or rattle in the steering column surround, right behind the wheel methinks; just during the last one mile home. The three screws visible underneath appear to be tight... I'll have to chase after that later.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

It happens to the best of us.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Mine I thought, was coming from somewhere around the steering wheel or maybe just behind it. Pushing the dash in different spots, adjusting the wheel etc. didn't seem to ever make a difference. Search underneath and just couldn't find or do anything that made a difference.

Pulled the sun visor around to block the sun in the drivers window and noticed the noise was gone. Upon further review It ended up being the visor vibrating against the bracket it clicks into that holds it in place. I've always just rest it against the bracket making it easier to move around. I now click it into place and the rattle is gone.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

One of my pet peeves....not just in my F150 but in every vehicle. Why not put a soft rubber liner in ALL the storage pockets?? That would certainly solve the rattle problem. Some of the pockets in my Ram are lined that way and it makes a huge difference, not just in preventing rattles but also to clean the pocket all you have to do is remove the liner and shake it out.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

I thought you were going to say when I put my sunglasses on, the rattle quits.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 863 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
Mine I thought, was coming from somewhere around the steering wheel or maybe just behind it. Pushing the dash in different spots, adjusting the wheel etc. didn't seem to ever make a difference. Search underneath and just couldn't find or do anything that made a difference.

Pulled the sun visor around to block the sun in the drivers window and noticed the noise was gone. Upon further review It ended up being the visor vibrating against the bracket it clicks into that holds it in place. I've always just rest it against the bracket making it easier to move around. I now click it into place and the rattle is gone.
I had the exact same problem in my Ram, drove me nuts! I was so relieved when I finally figured out it was the visor. I always snapped it back into the bracket, I guess it didn't hold very well.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks guys! You make me feel a little more *normal*
Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 2017ExecFx4

Should have gotten Oakleys

After 5 months of owning my truck, it developed a rattle between the steering column and dash cluster. Took me 2-3 weeks to pinpoint the source. Velcro/felt is a life-saver.