Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gap between OEM or Husky wheel well liners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gap between OEM or Husky wheel well liners?

I've read through quite a few threads on the installation of OEM and Husky Wheel Well liners. Something I haven't seen too many people post about is how these liners are in terms of the gap between the bed and the liner itself. Has anyone who has had either of these liners had issues with dirt, salt, sand or other debris from the road being lodged in between the liner and vehicle? My understanding is that though the OEM liner will fit better than the Husky, the Husky seems to have more downwards coverage. With this coverage, I'm assuming that the tire is less likely to be able to throw debris between the liner itself and the vehicle, correct? Would appreciate feedback from anyone out there who has had either liner for a long period of time now. I live in the Western US where it snows hard in the winter and roads are rough with salt and that chemical they apply with beet juice that sticks to the road. Thanks.

Spoiler

Old 07-06-2018, 06:55 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

A bit too late for me, but all my buddies with Fords told me the Huskys were the only way to go, and excellent fit, so I just ordered. I didn't even know there was an OEM option. I typically prefer to buy OEM since they typically are better too, but not always. Since my order is on the way, hope this is a case where the aftermarket is better. He he. What I liked is there's no need to drill any holes. They cost about $130, if I remember correctly. How much are the OEMs??? Having said that, I found the Husky mud guards repulsive, so didn't order those. I knew Ford made them too, but have yet to find one truck with those. They're probably going to be ugly as well, and didn't like that they have 'Ford' stamped on them, which I find super tacky. Will probably leave the truck alone, unless I start seeing paint damage, which would be the only reason for me to install them. I always install them on cars when they look fully integrated, but those huge things on a truck look just awful. Rather live with a bit more splashed water when it rains. I don't plan to use the truck off-road, so no real need for them.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

When I took the Husky off I found no more dirt than normally would be there from a dusty road. I prefer them over OEM as they are much further down that serves two purposes, hides the chassis and prevents dirt from getting thrown up between the bed and frame.

I also like the Weather Tech mud flaps. Have them on the truck and will be taken off when I trade and installed on the replacement, same with the liners.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Stay away from the Husky products. The Husky wheel liners I received were a joke and manufactured crooked. I had to send them back for a refund after wasting an hour trying to get the passenger side to fit. Then there was the forty-minutes round trip to the UPS place to return them.

You've been warned!
The following users liked this post:
Laynma2 (11-25-2020)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Yet mine fit perfect and were the $60 Amazon deal ones. 30 minutes tops to install them the first time, 10 the second.
The following 4 users liked this post by acdii:
Cuda70383 (07-14-2020), Iphylgood (02-12-2021), Laynma2 (11-25-2020), speeddemon0712 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

We went with OEM due to lack of confidence in other brands from Forum members. Dealer discounted price as we had just purchased vehicle. Really makes improvement on looks when installing on white truck.
As others with OEM have stated, very easy install. I watched a few video's on installation before attempting my own. Definitely suggest watching how to, or assisting in installation with someone that has already installed a set. Best of luck to you! Seems like the Coke an Pepsi debate here.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elptxjc
A bit too late for me, but all my buddies with Fords told me the Huskys were the only way to go, and excellent fit, so I just ordered. I didn't even know there was an OEM option. I typically prefer to buy OEM since they typically are better too, but not always. Since my order is on the way, hope this is a case where the aftermarket is better. He he. What I liked is there's no need to drill any holes. They cost about $130, if I remember correctly. How much are the OEMs??? Having said that, I found the Husky mud guards repulsive, so didn't order those. I knew Ford made them too, but have yet to find one truck with those. They're probably going to be ugly as well, and didn't like that they have 'Ford' stamped on them, which I find super tacky. Will probably leave the truck alone, unless I start seeing paint damage, which would be the only reason for me to install them. I always install them on cars when they look fully integrated, but those huge things on a truck look just awful. Rather live with a bit more splashed water when it rains. I don't plan to use the truck off-road, so no real need for them.
The OEM liners cost $136 directly from Ford and $104.72 from Tasca.

Dealership pricing seems to vary. My local dealership quoted me $110 and a dealership further up north quoted me $135. If I order from my local dealership however, they get it within 24 hours (1 day overnight) and free shipping.

Originally Posted by SPOAT
Stay away from the Husky products. The Husky wheel liners I received were a joke and manufactured crooked. I had to send them back for a refund after wasting an hour trying to get the passenger side to fit. Then there was the forty-minutes round trip to the UPS place to return them.

You've been warned!
This is what I was afraid of. I was told by my installer I'll be using that Husky wheel well liners sometimes come warped but that they can "make them fit" with a "bit of work". I noticed on some people's liners that "making them fit" involves cutting and sometimes there is also a visible and sizable large gap which may allow debris to get thrown into. No thanks.

Originally Posted by 4ever2wheels
We went with OEM due to lack of confidence in other brands from Forum members. Dealer discounted price as we had just purchased vehicle. Really makes improvement on looks when installing on white truck.
As others with OEM have stated, very easy install. I watched a few video's on installation before attempting my own. Definitely suggest watching how to, or assisting in installation with someone that has already installed a set. Best of luck to you! Seems like the Coke an Pepsi debate here.
I won't be installing these myself but based on what I've read so far, I'll be going with the OEM. I just had a set of Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender flares paint-matched by the bodyshop so at this point I think I'll go with the OEM ones underneath those. I'd prefer the lower coverage of the Husky's but don't want to chance the possibility of having fitment issues.

I'm not sure if the Husky liners come deformed due to the packaging or temperatures, but I've found packaging from OEM Ford Parts to be quite good with plenty of space in the box. Nothing I've ordered through the parts department at the dealership has ever come warped or cramped in the box.

​​​​​​​Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 07-06-2018, 10:36 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadTrackRT
The OEM liners cost $136 directly from Ford and $104.72 from Tasca.
Shipping is crazy...Fairway Ford has these for $124 shipped free.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just put the Husky liners in yesterday on my June 2018 build Lariat supercrew. Love them!

Fit right out of the box was perfect - no issues whatsoever. Here's before and after pics. With platinum white especially, the truck doesn't look finished without them.

The following 4 users liked this post by johninwi:
Iphylgood (02-14-2021), michaelweez (07-15-2020), speeddemon0712 (07-14-2020), Wavechaser (02-05-2023)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the OEM liners and have not noticed any build up problems.

It look me less than 20 minutes to install both liners, super easy. If you have the time, I would not pay to have them installed

Quick Reply: Gap between OEM or Husky wheel well liners?