Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford F150 2017 with blue smoke - update

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford F150 2017 with blue smoke - update

February 14, 2024

Hi All:

Kind of asking for help here.

I took my Ford F150 into the Canby Ford dealership in Canby, Oregon on September 20th, 2023. So in six days it will have been at the dealership for five months, yes FIVE months, not five days.

I had taken it to the same dealership in 2020 at around 30,000 miles with the "blue smoke from a cold start" problem. The dealership said either there was "no problem" or they had "...fixed the problem."

Well . . . the problem wasn't fixed, and it got so bad that I took it in at 62,000+ miles and said "fix the problem...it is an emissions problem...and I said I wouldn't pay for it!

The last written response I received from Canby Oregon Ford was on 12/18/23. Here is what the dealership said:
"Blue smoke from exhaust on cold start has been doing for sometime, has been in for this prior but still doing it see history:
Correction: inspected for customer concern. Found vehicle smokes on start up after sitting for multiple days. Removed catalytic converters
and started vehicle after a cold soak. Found smoke coming from both sides of engine. No visible oil was present in the back of the turbos.
Removed spark plugs and intake manifold. No oil present in intake manifold or on intake valves. Using a borescope found oil present on
cylinder 1 exhaust valves. Also found cylinder 5 has excessive oil on the cylinder walls after engine has been turned over by hand, indicating the rings are
not sealing properly. Contacted hotline (this is Canby Ford who contacted hotline) and talked with fse (don't know what that is) recommend replace long
block at this time. (I'm guessing long block is engine)."

I told Ford Customer relations all the above. I've let Ford Customer Relations and Ford Motor Company, Faith O'Neal, counsel, that I "will not pay for this
problem, it existed almost since I purchased the truck (bought new in July 2017, built in Kansas City, and in the 2016-2018 Ford F150's built in Kansas
City, I've read that his problem, blue smoke on cold start up, has come up many times.

Now after around 30 emails to the "Ford Customer Relations Department in Texas" I believe, and after emailing Faith O'Neal who is in the Ford legal department, and after calling the Ford "executive offices" and leaving messages, including one message to Faith O'Neal who hasn't had the courtesy to respond to my voice mail or several texts, I finally got in touch with someone in Dearborn who said he would get all my information to the Oregon & Washington Regional Manager.

Thought is was interesting that the Ford Customer Relations employee, said "...you contacted Faith O'Neal and what did she say..." or something to that affect,
and I emailed him that she "didn't have the courtesy to contact me."

The gentleman I talked with about the Oregon & Washington Regional Manager said he would get all the information to him, that was two days ago, and I haven't heard from him yet!!!!

I'm guessing I will have to contact a Lemon Law Advocate Attorney to get some type of action from Ford Motor and also from the Canby Oregon Ford dealership.

I had friends who bought a truck from Canby Ford, and they were not treated any better then I have been. Seemed like the dealership was not standing behind the customer, if you can understand that phrase, and in my case Canby Ford, now Dick's Canby Ford in Canby Oregon and Ford Motor company are not standing
behind the customer(s).

In this day and age they call it "ghosting" I believe, since no one is calling me.

So I'm thinking, time for a Lemon Law Advocate Attorney, who may have a little more clout then I have.

That's it from here!

Old 02-15-2024, 05:50 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Switch dealers, not worth the aggravation. I finally found a good one that has experienced techs and management that is focused on customer satisfaction. It's a long drive to get there but worth it.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like they told you no. Live with it, trade it in on a Chevrolet, or replace the engine. 30+ emails later you just come off like a nutjob.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:35 AM

Default To nice of a truck despite the engine problems

Because I brought it brand new and it was my first truck ever and it is a Ford F150 V6 eco-boost. I love the thing it’s just the engine and it is the principle of the thing so one of you said that I was a nut job that I come off like a nut job I don’t think so. I think a nut job would trade it in and get screwed for $30,000 because if I traded in they would give me probably around 28 or 29,000 and it would cost me 65,000 to buy a new one. Sounds like it’s a $35,000 loss for me and a big gain for them.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:59 AM

Received 616 Likes on 479 Posts

yes, when they say long block theyre talking whole motor. The fse is a field service engineer.

So the dealer submitted that and supposedly never received a response to the replacement?

are you under some kind of extended warranty?

Lemon laws vary state to state but I highly doubt any of them are going to stretch out 6 years. The ones Ive seen it doesnt matter when the issue was first reported, there's still a hard time limit on when lemon law paper work must be started.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:12 PM

Default Long block

I understand what you’re saying however, I took my car in under the warranty and the dealer never fixed it and they knew the problem existed. They gave it back to me without repairing so when I took it in at 62,000 I said you never fixed it at 30,000 and I have Written responses saying that and I told him you need to repair it. That’s why I’m holding my guns!

Voice text sorry about spelling errors! ☺️
Old 02-17-2024, 01:26 PM

Does it only do it on cold starts?

You can't annoy them enough with phone calls or emails to get what you want. There's nothing that anyone on this forum can do. Pony up and consult with an attorney.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (02-19-2024)
Old 02-17-2024, 01:42 PM
Aluminum Can Connoisseur

Received 195 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by heins109
I understand what you’re saying however, I took my car in under the warranty and the dealer never fixed it and they knew the problem existed. They gave it back to me without repairing so when I took it in at 62,000 I said you never fixed it at 30,000 and I have Written responses saying that and I told him you need to repair it. That’s why I’m holding my guns!

Voice text sorry about spelling errors! ☺️
You can't compel an "independently owned" dealership to do anything. They are only associated with Ford for branding purposes... Ford the Corporation could care less about your issue(s). You drove the vehicle 30+ thousand miles... clearly the issue wasn't keeping you from driving.
Holding guns sounds great but here is the rib... you drove the vehicle. Also you are likely out of the mfg powertrain warranty at 5/60,000.
give up the VIN number so we can look at the Oasis history.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:52 PM
2018xlt, 3.5, 302a, 6.5

Received 293 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SSSam311
You can't compel an "independently owned" dealership to do anything. They are only associated with Ford for branding purposes... Ford the Corporation could care less about your issue(s). You drove the vehicle 30+ thousand miles... clearly the issue wasn't keeping you from driving.
Holding guns sounds great but here is the rib... you drove the vehicle. Also you are likely out of the mfg powertrain warranty at 5/60,000.
give up the VIN number so we can look at the Oasis history.
i would think that the issue would still be under some kind of warranty because he had it in prior to the expiration of the powertrain warranty…

OP bringing it back with the same claim and same issue… would be an extension of that original concern… now the dealer verifying that there is infact a piston ring issue … I think… would be covered under either the 3yr or 5yr warranty’s

only saying this b/c when i had the cracked valve cover, i was at 58,900+ miles still under 60k. They gave it back to me. They had to order the part.

I dd ask if there would be an issue with going over the 60k while awaiting repairs.. they said no, its part of the work order for the repair and no matter the mileage… it would be covered

Last edited by OTTO[AL]; 02-17-2024 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:10 PM

I'd think the issue as to expiration of warranty is tied to when a ticket for said concern is first created. But, again no amount of forum posts, emails to corporate people who have no ****s to give will satisfy the OP's problem.

Quick Reply: Ford F150 2017 with blue smoke - update