Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor Mounted Dimmer Switch (2018 F-150)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:45 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Floor Mounted Dimmer Switch (2018 F-150)

For a long time I have wondered why manufacturers abandoned the floor mounted dimmer switch. My first truck (1988 F-150) had a floor mounted dimmer switch, but the ones I have owned since have had it as part of the multi-function switch on the steering column. I believe this has been universal for about 25 years, and even quite common before that.
I have thought that the floor mounted switch was just as convenient as the steering column mounted one, and in some cases more convenient. In fact, with automatic transmissions, my left foot now has nothing to do.
The angle of the multi-function switch on the steering column of my 2018 F-150 makes the dimmer switch very inconvenient. The multi-function switch angles up (kind of up to the 10:00 position) and I keep my hands at the outside edge (9:00 and 3:00 positions). My 199 F-150's multi-function switch goes straight out to the 9:00 position.
So, I decided to take it upon myself to figure out how to add a floor mounted dimmer switch.
First, I ordered the switch. I needed a momentary on, spring loaded, switch. I found what I wanted online from Tayda Electronics, which they describe as "SPST Momentary Soft Touch Push Button Stomp Foots / Pedal Switch" (SKU: A-1091). They make you buy a minimum of 3 - but for a whopping total of $8.23, including S/H, I didn't mind!
Now I needed to figure out how to wire it in so that it would give the same momentary connection as pushing the multi-function switch ahead. This took much thinking. I originally thought I could find a control wire to tap in to in the steering column, but with the use of SCCMs, this is not possible, as signals for multiple things are sent down the same wires.
So, I needed to go right back to the multifunction switch. I ended up having to solder right on to the circuit board of the multifunction switch. (The picture that follows is for information, and the location of the connections I made - not to show off my soldering skills!) For some reason there are pointes of exposed copper on the circuit board for each of the sides of the circuit I needed to connect to, so I just soldered on to those exposed spots, making sure that I didn't allow my messy soldering to contact any other exposed copper, or to interfere with the operation of the switches on that circuit board.

I then reattached the circuit board to the switch.

Then, after soldering connectors on to those wires, I used some heat shrink to keep the wires together.

There is a little room on the side of the switch to allow the added wires to come out beside the switch when it is reinstalled.
I then soldered wires on to the new switch that I was planning on mounting on the floor. It has to be mounted in the floor mat, and I didn't want to use spade connectors in this location, as I felt they were more likely to work apart at some point. So, I needed to use a length of wires routed out of the steering column and down inside the left wall of the footwell to connect to both parts I was adding, but that was the best way of doing it (as far as I could tell).

Next, I drilled a hold in the carpet to attach the switch. I attached the switch to the carpet and had to drill / cut (hack) the hard foam behind the carpet to make room for the body of the switch.

I then connected the wires and replaced the left side panel to the footwell.

The last thing to do was to make a hole in the rubber floor mat for the switch to fit through.

I am very happy with how this functions. I can still use the multi-function switch on the column, but I also have the option of the floor mounted dimmer switch, so that I don't have to move my left hand up (from the 9:00 position to the 10:00 position) and back each time I need to dim my lights (or return them to bright).
The following users liked this post:
BoneCrusher (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:10 AM

Received 246 Likes on 196 Posts

You Sir are my new hero. This rocks!!!
The following users liked this post:
F150since1997 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 02:34 AM

Received 705 Likes on 547 Posts

OK well I like the Idea I have not used this since my Bronco or Cordoba. Don't mean to date anyone!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Keep the road salt from your boots off it - but nice job.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 AM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

Very inventive and nice job...............
Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 364 Likes on 287 Posts

lolI Like it.. Nice work
Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 262 Likes on 120 Posts

Very nice, I remember when they switched from the floor to the steering wheel. I was dating a pretty little blonde back then, and she kept getting her foot caught in the steering wheel when she tried to dim the lights.
The following 4 users liked this post by WhiskyBadger:
Enoch (04-09-2018), F150since1997 (04-09-2018), johnday in BFE (04-09-2018), UnkLeRaRa (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by reg boulette
Keep the road salt from your boots off it - but nice job.
I had thought about that issue. There really is little I can do to deal with that. It is likely one of the reasons manufacturers abandoned the floor mounted switch. I have two more switches, so when this one fails some day, I can quite easily solder connectors on to another switch and swap a new one in.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Received 428 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by F150since1997
I had thought about that issue. There really is little I can do to deal with that. It is likely one of the reasons manufacturers abandoned the floor mounted switch. I have two more switches, so when this one fails some day, I can quite easily solder connectors on to another switch and swap a new one in.
Soft rubber boot that covers the switch and something that can periodically be removed/replaced? No not a condom for those that are going to suggest it....

Last edited by cthusker; 04-09-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Very cool! My first vehicle was a Bronco and it had this too. It has been a very long time since I've seen that!
To keep water/dirt outta there, you could probably find a soft rubber cap and epoxy it to the floor mat so that you can still press it easily. Does the stalk still work as well?

Quick Reply: Floor Mounted Dimmer Switch (2018 F-150)