Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on Racks? Erickson vs. MaxxTow vs. Bully Adjustable

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Feedback on Racks? Bully Adjustable vs. TracRac TracOne vs. Erickson vs. MaxxTow

Here are three racks for lumber, ladders and canoes that can be installed/removed when using a removable tonneau or no tonneau.

Anyone (espcially 5.5' bed owners) own one of these?

There are numerous protrusions of OEM fasteners underneath the bed rail. I'm interested in owners' feedback on the ease and flexibility of finding clamp space under the bed rail so the front and rear racks can be spaced as far apart as possible.

1) Bully Rack Adjustable: http://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks...FQetaQodqF8KKA

To clamp the Bully, I would buy 4 pairs of these (2 pairs per rack):
Amazon.com: ProGrip 830620 Multi-Position Anchor Point - Pair: Automotive Amazon.com: ProGrip 830620 Multi-Position Anchor Point - Pair: Automotive

My guesstimate: I'm guessing these clamps and rack offer the greatest flexibility in mounting the rack without interfering with existing bedrail fasteners protruding underneath. These clamps have the small mating surface (vis-a-vis the Erickson rack) and could be positioned as needed anywhere along each of the racks' feet.

2) TracRac TracOne: http://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks...A27000-01.html

My guesstimate: These have clamps that come with the rack. I'm guessing that like the Bully with Amazon clamps, this rack provides the greatest flexibility of finding suitable clamping locations between both the underside of the bedrail and the topside of the racks' feet.

However, the TracRac TracOne is more than twice the cost of the Bully.

3) Erickson: www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/Erickson/EM07705.html?feed=npn&gclid=CMzzg7a6n8gCFZWMaQodIx AEBg

My guesstimate: These clamps have "winged" clamping surfaces that offer the greatest mating surface (good) but since the wings are both wide and the clamps can only be used in pre-defined positions on each of the racks' feet, I fear they would interfere with the OEM fasteners protruding underneath the bedrail and would limit the ability to position the front rack all the way forward and the rear rack all the way back.

3) MaxxTow: http://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks...FQ6oaQodZnoDpA

My guesstimate: These clamps have a small matting surface for minimizing the likelihood of interfering with existing OEM bedrail protrusions underneath (just like the Amazon clamps I would use with the Bully).

HOWEVER, they install in predefined positions on each of the racks' feet thereby increasing the chances of not putting the rack all the way forward or all the way back.

Last edited by ChicagoJim; 09-30-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoJim
Here are three racks for lumber, ladders and canoes that can be installed/removed when using a removable tonneau or no tonneau.

Anyone (espcially 5.5' bed owners) own one of these?

There are numerous protrusions of OEM fasteners underneath the bed rail. I'm interested in owners' feedback on the ease and flexibility of finding clamp space under the bed rail so the front and rear racks can be spaced as far apart as possible.

1) Bully Rack Adjustable: http://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks...FQetaQodqF8KKA

To clamp the Bully, I would buy 4 pairs of these (2 pairs per rack): Amazon.com: ProGrip 830620 Multi-Position Anchor Point - Pair: Automotive

My guesstimate: I'm guessing these clamps and rack offer the greatest flexibility in mounting the rack without interfering with existing bedrail fasteners protruding underneath. These clamps have the small mating surface (vis-a-vis the Erickson rack) and could be positioned as needed anywhere along each of the racks' feet.

2) TracRac TracOne: http://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks...A27000-01.html

My guesstimate: These have clamps that come with the rack. I'm guessing that like the Bully with Amazon clamps, this rack provides the greatest flexibility of finding suitable clamping locations between both the underside of the bedrail and the topside of the racks' feet.

However, the TracRac TracOne is more than twice the cost of the Bully.

3) Erickson: www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks/Erickson/EM07705.html?feed=npn&gclid=CMzzg7a6n8gCFZWMaQodIx AEBg

My guesstimate: These clamps have "winged" clamping surfaces that offer the greatest mating surface (good) but since the wings are both wide and the clamps can only be used in pre-defined positions on each of the racks' feet, I fear they would interfere with the OEM fasteners protruding underneath the bedrail and would limit the ability to position the front rack all the way forward and the rear rack all the way back.

3) MaxxTow: http://www.etrailer.com/Ladder-Racks...FQ6oaQodZnoDpA

My guesstimate: These clamps have a small matting surface for minimizing the likelihood of interfering with existing OEM bedrail protrusions underneath (just like the Amazon clamps I would use with the Bully).

HOWEVER, they install in predefined positions on each of the racks' feet thereby increasing the chances of not putting the rack all the way forward or all the way back.

Look up ADARAC ladder rack/tonneau cover combo. I know many roofing sales reps that use these and swear by them because they carry the same as the racks you listed, but in no way interfere with a tonneau cover. The racks can be taken off in minutes with a wrench and socket/ratchet.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:19 PM

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Buhoss63
Look up ADARAC ladder rack/tonneau cover combo. I know many roofing sales reps that use these and swear by them because they carry the same as the racks you listed, but in no way interfere with a tonneau cover. The racks can be taken off in minutes with a wrench and socket/ratchet.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply.

IIRC, the ADARAC has angle iron that has to be permanent bolted to the bed... I'm not too keen on having perforated angle iron permanently attached.

Besides, ADARAC is more expensive and I already have a tonneau.

Quick Reply: Feedback on Racks? Erickson vs. MaxxTow vs. Bully Adjustable