Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faulty tailgate ajar warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Default faulty tailgate ajar warning

Is anyone familiar or had the tailgate ajar warning not work? I stumbled across the fact 15 and later F-150s have this warning as standard equipment.

I realized the warning didn't work when the tailgate was left open after we unload and went to move the truck. Dealer will be checking it out when it goes in for the next oil change and sat antenna replacement.

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Ifallsguy
Is anyone familiar or had the tailgate ajar warning not work? I stumbled across the fact 15 and later F-150s have this warning as standard equipment.

I realized the warning didn't work when the tailgate was left open after we unload and went to move the truck. Dealer will be checking it out when it goes in for the next oil change and sat antenna replacement.

Any info would be appreciated.
Yeah...your truck must have a newer flash. They were having issues with these (warning light would stay on even if the tailgate was closed), issued a TSB, and rather than fixing the problem, just disabled it altogether. My truck had it until I had the 5-4 shift TSB done. Originally, they were unplugging the sensor as the fix. I was a little pissed...there have been two times now that it would have been nice to have that warning light back. I don't even think the feature is included in new calibrations, so using Forscan to add it back won't work.

Mine is a 2016.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by gopherman
Yeah...your truck must have a newer flash. They were having issues with these (warning light would stay on even if the tailgate was closed), issued a TSB, and rather than fixing the problem, just disabled it altogether. My truck had it until I had the 5-4 shift TSB done. Originally, they were unplugging the sensor as the fix. I was a little pissed...there have been two times now that it would have been nice to have that warning light back. I don't even think the feature is included in new calibrations, so using Forscan to add it back won't work.

Mine is a 2016.
Thanks for the reply. I have that TSB in hand (TSB-16-0030) and it is for units built prior to 10/28/2016. My build is 4/8/16 and isn't a listed vehicle for that recall. A call yesterday to Ford Customer Care's answer was this is built in and should be working.

I'm going to call them again today and see if they actually are disabling. I'll post their response after that call.

If they have disabled in all f-150s, I'm going to register a complaint with them and then file a formal safety complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration as a possible defect. You and others might consider that.

I'll make another post on the proper way to file a complaint. If not properly written, it doesn't get fast action.

Here is a link to that post. https://www.f150forum.com/f118/how-f...-admin-359712/

Last edited by Ifallsguy; 10-01-2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: added link
Old 10-01-2016, 10:18 AM
F250>F150

Received 917 Likes on 483 Posts

Curious about this as well. I've gotten lucky on at least two occasions where the only thing that saved me from putting the tailgate into the garage wall was the rearview camera pointing straight at the ground and me consequently saying "what the hell is wrong with that camera?". Only to realize that I left the tailgate down.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:08 PM

I just spoke to Ford Customer Care. TSB 16-0030 is the only one issued and is only for vehicles prior to the Oct 15 build date. OASIS shows no TSB, SSM, SB or other information on this problem. Their suggestions was have the dealer go through the system.

As for finding out the tailgate is loose/down with the camera is you have to be in reverse to see it. Glad you were are to avoid hitting your garage wall but the camera is useless if the tailgate were to open while driving down the highway. Would be damaging if that happened while towing my travel trailer.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Ifallsguy
I just spoke to Ford Customer Care. TSB 16-0030 is the only one issued and is only for vehicles prior to the Oct 15 build date. OASIS shows no TSB, SSM, SB or other information on this problem. Their suggestions was have the dealer go through the system.

As for finding out the tailgate is loose/down with the camera is you have to be in reverse to see it. Glad you were are to avoid hitting your garage wall but the camera is useless if the tailgate were to open while driving down the highway. Would be damaging if that happened while towing my travel trailer.
I'm not saying you're wrong but I was told that this option was removed from current firmware and it's not coming back. They weren't able to add it back when I specifically requested for it and their hotline told them it was no longer available. If you look at the TSB, they specifically say to disconnect it and flash to the most recent firmware (most likely the one that removed it). Why they would go through the trouble of disconnecting the electrical connectors, I don't know. Why they would just disable it altogether, rather than fix it, I can't answer either.

It's stupid and unfortunate but I had to let this one go because there's no way to add it back without firmware that supports it. If I was ambitious enough, I'd get a CAN sniffer out to see if a PID still shows up when the tailgate is opened...it doesn't mean there's a handler for it, but it would suggest that they haven't completely removed the PID and somewhere deep in the mess of a crap, there's a way to re-enable it. It just wasn't available for the dealer to do.

Last edited by gopherman; 10-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

The related posts feature put my post here instead of the current post I was replying to.

Last edited by chadfo; 06-08-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 102 Likes on 93 Posts

Woohoo, I feel like somebody being mentioned. Now I want my truck back, been at the dealership since Tues, one of my rear shocks puked it's guts out. They are waiting on parts while I drive a 2017 flex as a loaner.

Quick Reply: faulty tailgate ajar warning