Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Far away Truck purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Far away Truck purchase

I located a 2018 F-150 in Norfolk VA. that I wish to purchase. I live in Massachusetts. Anyone have experience in purchasing a truck this way? Negotiating price? etc.
Thanks in advance!

Jeff P
Old 07-10-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jprop
I located a 2018 F-150 in Norfolk VA. that I wish to purchase. I live in Massachusetts. Anyone have experience in purchasing a truck this way? Negotiating price? etc.
Thanks in advance!

Jeff P
I literally just did this. In fact, I pick up the truck on Saturday. I am flying in to Washington state and driving it home to CA. I found the vehicle by frist searching Ford F-150 inventory and then finding it on the dealer's website. This is also the second time I have purchased a vehicle out of state and over the phone/internet. Negotiation depends on what you are comfortable with. When you click the "contact me" button on the dealer's website, it usually goes to the internet department who are generally comfortable with conducting business via email and phone. From there you negotiate just as you would any other time. I asked them to provide me their best numbers - BEFORE REBATES - in writing, via email, and also let them know I was a serious buyer. They did so and then I called to discuss. In my case, their offer was very good and I also had a $3k PCO that was then added on.

From there it is working logistics. Most dealers out of state will not be familiar with your state's procedures for registration. So you should plan on having to do it yourself and know what the requirements are. Many dealers will pick you up from the airport as well. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any additional/specific questions. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jprop (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 235 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by jprop
Thanks in advance!

Jeff P
That's local compared to mine. Bought it in Chantilly, VA, and I live in California. Helps that it was kind of a unicorn. Turns out that the reason there were only 4 RCLB XLT 3.5 Eco HDPP trucks listed nationwide is that I'm the only person who wanted one. It had been sitting on the lot for a while by the time I got it, so time did some of the negotiation for me. lol
Why do you want that one? Is it a unique configuration/set of options?
jprop (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingofpasadena
That's local compared to mine. Bought it in Chantilly, VA, and I live in California. Helps that it was kind of a unicorn. Turns out that the reason there were only 4 RCLB XLT 3.5 Eco HDPP trucks listed nationwide is that I'm the only person who wanted one. It had been sitting on the lot for a while by the time I got it, so time did some of the negotiation for me. lol
Why do you want that one? Is it a unique configuration/set of options?
Yes, Been searching for a Lariat, Magnetic, with a host of options one needing to be snow plow prep. After your purchase did you have it shipped or did you fly out and drive home?!
Old 07-10-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I just bought one in June this way. Although in my case it was from a dealer about 160 miles away.

Do all correspondence with email for negotiations. And have at least another truck from another dealer for the competitive pricing. Best to use 3 dealers for the pricing but the trick is to have 3 dealers that want your money.

My truck is not exactly a unicorn but more like finding teeth on a hen. Found it and so glad I got it.

Dealer wanted a credit card deposit after we settled on pricing. Found out the didn't charge the card at all. It must have been how they determined I was serious about the truck purchase.

Oh... If you are planning to transport, figure $1/mile added to your cost.

Good luck.
jprop (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I did this with a used (pre-leased) vehicle on a dealer lot but it was only a 3-hour drive away. The GM told me that if I take a taxi, buy the vehicle and present them with the receipt, they'd knock the price of the taxi off of the vehicle. Which they did. I had a bit of an advantage in this deal though since I was paying cash for it so my savings were instant.
jprop (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this and regret not test driving more. Ride is so rough that it would have been a deterrent to buying the truck for me. If I were to buy out of state again, I’d go there for a weekend / couple days and demand an overnight test drive. And yes, I test drove several of similar configurations locally before deciding to buy.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Flyingcoach2

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bought from a dealer about 350 miles away, same state. Couldn't find what I wanted local, found it via Ford online. Called and spoke with a random salesman. When I showed up they were excited and willing to negotiate and not play games with the numbers. They wanted my old car and gave me a VERY good deal for it. Also gave me a very good deal on the truck. I still drop by and visit with them when I am passing through on the way to my folks. The salesmen stop and stare when the GM gets out from behind the desk and comes to shake my hand.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:46 PM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

I also bought mine last week 600+ miles away, and with a trade. Even exchange at that. I'm super ****, so every time I have traded my vehicles, they're a lot better than they thought, so never an issue. But dealers don't like doing that, but you have to insist. I always negotiate the new car first, then throw the trade, so I know exactly what I'm getting for each. In this case, I just told the sales manager to make it an even exchange or I'd find somebody else. I knew it was a fair deal, but nobody local was even close, so went to Dallas and Austin. Both immediately said it was doable and started working on my deal. Dallas only had 2 trucks equipped the way I wanted them, but both were modified with lift kits, so deal collapsed. Austin had many more, but they needed recalls, so ended up taking one that had just arrived, and it was exactly like I wanted it, so it worked out great. In addition, they put tinted windows and a LoJack, and threw it with the deal, so zero grief. When I got there, no issues with my car either, but I'm extremely meticulous not only how I take care of tem (basically like brand new), but the photos I take. And I describe them a bit worse than they actually are, so every single time people are impressed with my cars. Just talk directly to a sales manager, and let them assign the sale to somebody if the numbers work out. Less waste of time. Have bought more than a dozen new cars like that, and never an issue. Have bought a few used, mostly Ferraris, and those weren't as successful. Ahole dealers. Always better to buy a brand new vehicle from a franchised dealer; no worries that way. It could be during transit, but not from dealer. I also ask to leave all plastics in place, to avoid damage. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:58 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Its called a "dealer transfer". My dealer in Kansas went to Mississippi to get my truck. I even paid under invoice for it.

Quick Reply: Far away Truck purchase