Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 Brake Failed During Rush Hour!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F150 Brake Failed During Rush Hour!

Fast forward to the bottom to get the short version.

Imagine yourself driving down the highway on a Friday morning, TGIF rolling through your head, driving in and out of stop and go traffic on a major highway... Then imagine you get a dash light indicating "Low Brake Fluid", you think that's weird, my truck is less than 18 months old. Just as quick as the notice appears, it disappears. You decide to test the brakes to make sure everything is OK but before you can do that an indicator light pops on the dash - now you start to have some concern. You quickly tap the brakes and the brake pedal goes to the floor, nothing. Driving 65MPH in a known stop and go area with no brakes, immediately you go for the e-brake but at 65MPH in a full size F-150, thats likely a bad idea as well.

So that all happened just over three weeks ago to me. Driving my 2015 F-150 Lariat with right under 20,000 miles.

Luckily I wasn't driving in the mountains or somewhere else more dangerous. I was lucky and quickly drove the truck into the shoulder (which had maintenance going on - so I had to avoid running over road crews) and rolled to a safe stop. Called Ford to have the truck towed, took a few hours but they got it to the dealership. Dealership seemed unconcerned that the brakes failed though they did provide a rental. They said it'd be a week to get the truck back. I tried contacting the dealership the following week, no call back. At that point I write an email to Ford with clear concern for my family over the vehicles safety and state what happened, along with I expect an engineering solution, replacing a part that is never supposed to fail with the same exact part is sub-par in my mind. A customer service representative from corporate Ford reaches out, they get more information from the dealership (likely calling the service manager), they state the part is on order and "they'll make sure they speed it up". Overall I was decently satisfied but still concerned they were just going to replace the part with an equivalent part. Fast forward to the following week (two weeks since taking the truck in), same run around from the CSR and the dealership. Fast forward one more week (three weeks in), exact same run around.

They stated that the master cylinder in the brake system failed.

Now I've been a Ford fan for quite a few years, this is a $50,000+ MSRP truck... previously I owned a King Ranch F-150, same story there, family has been die hard Ford customers for years. Aside from the terrible customer service run around, Ford still has no answer for the part failure. Honestly my family is quite concerned and they don't want anyone driving the vehicle in the future unless there is a real solution, just just a part replacement with the same part. If Ford doesn't fix this ASAP I'll never buy another Ford and would absolutely not recommend anyone buy the current generation F-150 until they have addressed the issue.

Any thoughts/advice?

Pictures posted for proof - http://imgur.com/a/ZRdaa .

SHORT: Brakes failed on 2015 F150 at 65MPH in rush hour, no contact from dealership for 3+ weeks, contact Ford Corporate Customer Service, they continue to give run around answers with no solutions and no solid ETA to getting the vehicle fixed. Still no truck today.

Side note: Long time lurker here, I know it's always jacked for a first post on a forum to be a post like this. This forum is where I would constantly refresh for all the details about the 2015 F150s and how to track them.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

While I feel your pain, I don't understand what you are asking of Ford? You are asking them to re-engineer the master cylinder because you think the part is flawed because it failed?

Every single part in every single vehicle can fail. Manufacturing processes will never be perfect. I think the odds of what happened to you happening are very low, maybe 1 in 20000? Those are acceptable odds for Ford I would guess.

I guess I just don't understand what you are asking for.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:40 PM

No - but to at least have figured out a root cause. I understand if your dash cracks or a window motor fails from time to time... but not a brake master cylinder. That's clearly an issue and just replacing with the same part makes me worry.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:40 PM

Received 240 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Philp Porter
Fast forward to the bottom to get the short version.

Imagine yourself driving down the highway on a Friday morning, TGIF rolling through your head, driving in and out of stop and go traffic on a major highway... Then imagine you get a dash light indicating "Low Brake Fluid", you think that's weird, my truck is less than 18 months old. Just as quick as the notice appears, it disappears. You decide to test the brakes to make sure everything is OK but before you can do that an indicator light pops on the dash - now you start to have some concern. You quickly tap the brakes and the brake pedal goes to the floor, nothing. Driving 65MPH in a known stop and go area with no brakes, immediately you go for the e-brake but at 65MPH in a full size F-150, thats likely a bad idea as well.

So that all happened just over three weeks ago to me. Driving my 2015 F-150 Lariat with right under 20,000 miles.

Luckily I wasn't driving in the mountains or somewhere else more dangerous. I was lucky and quickly drove the truck into the shoulder (which had maintenance going on - so I had to avoid running over road crews) and rolled to a safe stop. Called Ford to have the truck towed, took a few hours but they got it to the dealership. Dealership seemed unconcerned that the brakes failed though they did provide a rental. They said it'd be a week to get the truck back. I tried contacting the dealership the following week, no call back. At that point I write an email to Ford with clear concern for my family over the vehicles safety and state what happened, along with I expect an engineering solution, replacing a part that is never supposed to fail with the same exact part is sub-par in my mind. A customer service representative from corporate Ford reaches out, they get more information from the dealership (likely calling the service manager), they state the part is on order and "they'll make sure they speed it up". Overall I was decently satisfied but still concerned they were just going to replace the part with an equivalent part. Fast forward to the following week (two weeks since taking the truck in), same run around from the CSR and the dealership. Fast forward one more week (three weeks in), exact same run around.

They stated that the master cylinder in the brake system failed.

Now I've been a Ford fan for quite a few years, this is a $50,000+ MSRP truck... previously I owned a King Ranch F-150, same story there, family has been die hard Ford customers for years. Aside from the terrible customer service run around, Ford still has no answer for the part failure. Honestly my family is quite concerned and they don't want anyone driving the vehicle in the future unless there is a real solution, just just a part replacement with the same part. If Ford doesn't fix this ASAP I'll never buy another Ford and would absolutely not recommend anyone buy the current generation F-150 until they have addressed the issue.

Any thoughts/advice?

Pictures posted for proof - http://imgur.com/a/ZRdaa .

SHORT: Brakes failed on 2015 F150 at 65MPH in rush hour, no contact from dealership for 3+ weeks, contact Ford Corporate Customer Service, they continue to give run around answers with no solutions and no solid ETA to getting the vehicle fixed. Still no truck today.

Side note: Long time lurker here, I know it's always jacked for a first post on a forum to be a post like this. This forum is where I would constantly refresh for all the details about the 2015 F150s and how to track them.
My advice is don't wait to make your first post until something goes wrong with the truck. It makes you look like a troll.

Hope it works out and keep us posted.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by HacksawMark
My advice is don't wait to make your first post until something goes wrong with the truck. It makes you look like a troll.

Hope it works out and keep us posted.
Yup I know - thus the pictures for proof. Just haven't dealt with something like this before with Ford so am looking for any advice/help I can get.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Make sure and file a complaint with NHTSA.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by VectorZ
Make sure and file a complaint with NHTSA.
Just did that - is there typically any follow up from them?
Old 07-30-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Philp Porter
Just did that - is there typically any follow up from them?
I've filed a few over the years, but I've never been contacted. Reading through all the various complaints is pretty interesting.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Wow everyone is giving you a hard time!
I found the story interesting and informative.

Thanks for sharing and let us know the end result please.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:48 PM

Received 291 Likes on 195 Posts

Yeah I don't really get the part about replacing the part with the same one. You want them to use a non fomoco part? I don't think that's an option unless you supply the part. I would be pretty pissed if left hanging for 3 weeks

Quick Reply: F150 Brake Failed During Rush Hour!