Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 Questions, can it be changed between Miles and Kilometers? 80" vs. 97" width?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-150 Questions, can it be changed between Miles and Kilometers? 80" vs. 97" width?

For years I've been quite sure I want my next vehicle to be an F-150, I didn't think it would be for at least another year but my car decided not to last that long so I'm now looking to get one soon.

I thought I had seen that the dashboard was entirely a computer screen, after looking again it seems like the RPM and speed gauges are actual physical gauges and not digitally created on a display, is that correct (on 2015-2020 models)? The reason this is an issue is that I think I will move from Canada to the US during the time I would own it, and I thought there would be a setting to switch it to Miles when I move to the US but this won't be possible if it's a physical gauge (I know the gauge lists both units but it would drive me crazy having to read the smaller scale in the US).

I just noticed on one photo of the dashboard it can display a digital speedometer in MPH on the display part and it says "Press OK for km/h", but aren't there more useful screens than the speedometer you normally display? I'm not entirely sure this would be a solution I'd want especially if there are more useful screens to have displayed while driving (are there?). Could I replace the dashboard in the US to get Miles as the main speedometer scale and how much would that cost?

I also noticed some F-150s are listed as 80" wide and some as 97" wide, what causes such a big difference in width? The only thing I can think of would be those with 2 tires wide and/or those with the bigger wing mirrors, is that it or do some have wider bodies?

I know I want one between 2015 and 2020 (probably closer to 2015 as I don't want to pay too much), do any have reliability issues?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2021, 08:19 PM

Received 385 Likes on 245 Posts

Forum member Livnitup (Clusters by Livnitup) can change the cluster gauge face to MPH and make the digital speedo default to MPH. Just had him do that for me as the cluster I bought for my 2018 was from Canada.
The following users liked this post:
Livnitup (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by barrytone
Forum member Livnitup (Clusters by Livnitup) can change the cluster gauge face to MPH and make the digital speedo default to MPH. Just had him do that for me as the cluster I bought for my 2018 was from Canada.
Sounds like a good option, but do you need to bring the truck to him? Does it end up exactly the same as if you had bought the US model?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2021, 09:26 PM
F150 Jr Vendor

Received 321 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by ccrr
Sounds like a good option, but do you need to bring the truck to him? Does it end up exactly the same as if you had bought the US model?

Thanks
You would need to ship the cluster to me. Besides the mph vs km/h speedometer gauge face, the only difference in the clusters is the programming. A Canadian cluster has programming that has it default to kilometers and how the needle should sweep the major km/h numbers on the gauge face. When someone sends the cluster to me for conversion I replace the km/h speedometer gauge face with an OEM mph one and I write a U.S. image to it so that the needle sweeps the mph major numbers correctly and defaults to miles on the odometer.
aquaman67 (04-26-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:27 PM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I also noticed some F-150s are listed as 80" wide and some as 97" wide, what causes such a big difference in width?
Regular F150 is 80". Raptor is 97". Wider cab and wider tires, generally speaking.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:43 PM

Received 116 Likes on 66 Posts

My Canadian 2019 Lariat can be changed from kms to mph in the Settings - Display Setup - Units. Once I set the units to miles, it stays set in this units until I re-select kms. It does not require resetting every time you start the truck. It converts the odometer to miles, changes the fuel consumption to m.p.g. It stays like this in my experience the entire time I am in the US. In my case, I'm usually there for about 2 months. While I have no doubt you can send the display and have it permanently changed, you may not need to do this if you decide on the Lariat.
Again, it may only apply to the 2019 model year Lariat.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:51 PM

Received 563 Likes on 368 Posts

I also noticed some F-150s are listed as 80" wide and some as 97" wide, what causes such a big difference in width? The only thing I can think of would be those with 2 tires wide and/or those with the bigger wing mirrors, is that it or do some have wider bodies?
Thanks
80" is the body width. 97" would be the total width with mirrors. Would even be wider with the optional tow mirrors. As mentioned above, the Raptor is an exception to this though as it has a bit wider body due to its wider fenders that house its wider tires!
Old 04-26-2021, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Runs With Scissors
80" is the body width. 97" would be the total width with mirrors. Would even be wider with the optional tow mirrors. As mentioned above, the Raptor is an exception to this though as it has a bit wider body due to its wider fenders that house its wider tires!
In this list some are listed as 79.9 and others as 96.8, but I don't understand what's causing this difference, can you tell from this list?

https://www.thecarhp.com/ford/f-150/dimensions
Old 04-26-2021, 08:12 AM

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

In this list some are listed as 79.9 and others as 96.8, but I don't understand what's causing this difference, can you tell from this list?

https://www.thecarhp.com/ford/f-150/dimensions
According to this list from Ford

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...-TechSpecs.pdf

79.9 is without mirrors and 96.8 is regular mirrors out.

83.5 is regular mirrors folded.

105.9 is tow mirrors out

85.5 is tow mirrors folded.

Last edited by aquaman67; 04-26-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: F-150 Questions, can it be changed between Miles and Kilometers? 80" vs. 97" width?