Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy OEM upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Easy OEM upgrades?

Just curious of what OEM upgrades can be easily added out of the factory that you might pay a premium for in the cost of your truck to have it already included. I'm talking about OEM/Factory parts, not aftermarket things. Either something easily installed or plug and play.

My growing list so far:

Already Installed:

OEM Tailgate Assist
Chrome Door Handle Covers
OEM Bed Mat

About to Install:
OEM LED Bed Light Kit
OEM Bed Cleats and Plates
Hill Descent Control (replace with $9 switch and mod with Forscan)
OEM Brake Controller
ForScan Mods (Bambi Mode, Parking Lights as DRLs, etc)

I wish the OEM backup camera was more of a plug and play upgrade as I have a electrical connector/cap that came from the factory in the glove box..but on investigation, the wiring is not present on my truck to just hook it up and turn it on
.so a backup camera would be a customization project I don't want to get into. To upgrade to OEM Sync 3 is another thing. Or OEM LED Headlights. I wrongly assumed that I could easily upgrade things and the wiring for everything would already be there. Some stuff it is like the brake controller. Now I bought the truck, I love it, but may should've looked harder for a deal on a truck that had a backup camera, touch screen, and the fancier instrument cluster.

Last edited by asdaven; 02-09-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

It would be nice to be able to have the option of days of yore as to what options you want, but those days are gone.
Raptor wheels from Gen1 or 2, are nice, the black ones with the machined spokes.
I'm with you on using OEM as much as possible, unless the price dictates aftermarket. Heads and tails come to mind. And even then, OEM style is sometimes found. Ford likes to think their stuff is precious metal or something.

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 02-09-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I have an XL so I have a lot of work to do!

I've done so far;

22" Limited wheels
Forscan mods
OEM bed mat
tailgate assist
STX grille

NEXT is

add console compartment to back of middle seat
add key pad to drivers door

EVENTUALLY

8" MFT/sirius and 8" cluster
bed cleats
bed LEDs
LED head and tail lights
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM
crockett56

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Rear wheel well liners.
The following users liked this post:
javelina1 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

I’ve added 20” chrome lariat wheels, chrome mirror caps, hill descent control, and tailgate dampener. All OEM.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

This is what I did (OEM upgrades) to my 15 XLT 300A.

- Center console
- PTM door handles and cups
- Sync 3 (4" to 8")
- Lariat Steering wheel
- 4" instrument Cluster
- Sport 20" wheels
- Mirror caps
Old 02-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Bobby J

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by asdaven
Just curious of what OEM upgrades can be easily added out of the factory that you might pay a premium for in the cost of your truck to have it already included. I'm talking about OEM/Factory parts, not aftermarket things. Either something easily installed or plug and play.

My growing list so far:

Already Installed:

OEM Tailgate Assist
Chrome Door Handle Covers
OEM Bed Mat

About to Install:
OEM LED Bed Light Kit
OEM Bed Cleats and Plates
Hill Descent Control (replace with $9 switch and mod with Forscan)
OEM Brake Controller
ForScan Mods (Bambi Mode, Parking Lights as DRLs, etc)

I wish the OEM backup camera was more of a plug and play upgrade as I have a electrical connector/cap that came from the factory in the glove box..but on investigation, the wiring is not present on my truck to just hook it up and turn it on
.so a backup camera would be a customization project I don't want to get into. To upgrade to OEM Sync 3 is another thing. Or OEM LED Headlights. I wrongly assumed that I could easily upgrade things and the wiring for everything would already be there. Some stuff it is like the brake controller. Now I bought the truck, I love it, but may should've looked harder for a deal on a truck that had a backup camera, touch screen, and the fancier instrument cluster.
I'm doing:

OEM Cargo Light Kit (are you familiar with the wiring issue from the bed switch to the switch under your headlight switch? I believe most lower end trim models have to do a mod to get the bed switch to work.)
Adding OEM wired keypad to driver door pillar moulding. Of course the moulding is on backorder!
OEM NAV APIM. Found one on ebay for $600 with NA maps.

Added tailgate assist (non OEM from Dee Zee)
Adding aftermarket inverter underneath rear seats today.
Added bull rings on the rails
MX4 Tonneau cover

In the process of trying to add factory Sirius...tried to install a Sirius ACM yesterday, but i think i got a bad NAV/SAT splitter from the dealer so sirius was giving me an antenna fault. Made this a little more clear when my NAV stopped working on the splitter as well yesterday. Put original wire back in and NAV works again. Chinese made parts...never know...

Wish list - Auto Power folding mirrors...but waaaaay too expensive of a mod.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

OEM remote start. It's plug and play and this part number JS7Z-19A361-A works on 2015+ F-150's. It uses your factory key fob. All you have to do is plug it in and then you use
Lock unlock lock on factory remote to start he truck. Easiest and best mod ever for this cold winter. Honestly 30 seconds to install. The hardest part is zip tying the unit up above the drivers foot well.

You could also go this route which is what I did after installing the above part. I want able to stay my truck from my desk at work since the parking garage is further than factory key fob remote will reach. So I went with the remote access remote start. Now I can use my cell phone to start my truck as long as truck and cell phone have cell service
This one requires two Ford parts
FT4Z-19A361-A (vss module)
DL3Z-19A390-B (remote access)
Old 02-10-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rjones02
I'm doing:

OEM Cargo Light Kit (are you familiar with the wiring issue from the bed switch to the switch under your headlight switch? I believe most lower end trim models have to do a mod to get the bed switch to work.)
Adding OEM wired keypad to driver door pillar moulding. Of course the moulding is on backorder!
OEM NAV APIM. Found one on ebay for $600 with NA maps.

Added tailgate assist (non OEM from Dee Zee)
Adding aftermarket inverter underneath rear seats today.
Added bull rings on the rails
MX4 Tonneau cover

In the process of trying to add factory Sirius...tried to install a Sirius ACM yesterday, but i think i got a bad NAV/SAT splitter from the dealer so sirius was giving me an antenna fault. Made this a little more clear when my NAV stopped working on the splitter as well yesterday. Put original wire back in and NAV works again. Chinese made parts...never know...

Wish list - Auto Power folding mirrors...but waaaaay too expensive of a mod.
You have part numbers for the factory inverter and dash plug? Is the wiring already present?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Bobby J

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J-MAN8
You have part numbers for the factory inverter and dash plug? Is the wiring already present?
The parts you need for the plug/and 12V combo are:
WPT 962 for wiring
and
FL3Z-19A487-B for plug

It's a big project, and i thought about doing it but gave up. I don't know the part of the stock inverter. I just went aftermarket on the inverter, got a 1000Watt pure sine inverter and installing under middle back seat. The factory inverter is usually installed under rear passenger side seat. I don't think most trim levels are prewired to just install the stock inverter, add the plug and have it work. That's why i just went aftermarket and gave up on adding the OEM plugs. Had to return those two parts i listed above. maybe down the road i can figure out how to wire the plug in the front to my inverter...there are 2 wire harnesses behind my current config, which is just a 12V dc source. So theres hope that there is some stuff prewired. Let me know if you end up doing the project.

Quick Reply: Easy OEM upgrades?